Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:14 PM   #1

Hey guys I looked at the fuji s5000 same megapixel as the s1. But the fuji has some interpolation program that ups the megapixels by 2 times making it a quasi 6 megapixel camera. I looked at the sample photos and camparison of the 3M and the interpolated 6M and it looked very good. The question I'm asking, is possible to use that same software the fuji uses and apply it on my s1 pictures and make them 6 megapixels. I use genuine fractal to res up my pictures, I'm wondering if this method is better. Cheers -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:16 AM   #2

Fuji's SuperCCD interpolation is quite different from software interpolation. The SuperCCD interpolation actually has some hardware differences. All the interpolation is done in the firmware so I don't think anyone really has access to that software.

Having said that, I would be interested to see everyone list what they use for interpolation. I'm not really into it (can't afford large prints, not to mention the fact that I haven't taken any good pics yet ) but I'm curious... what are good interpolation programs?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:11 AM   #3

"In terms of photo quality on the S5000, here are two important things to remember:

1) No matter what it says on the box, this is not a 6 Megapixel camera. It's a 3.2 Megapixel camera that can interpolate to create decent-looking 6MP photos. I would use 6M mode only in situations where you know you'll be making large prints.

2) If you're shooting at the 6M setting and can spare the memory, I recommend using CCD-RAW mode and then converting to JPEG. Fuji really compresses their JPEGs to death. A 6 Megapixel photo from a Canon EOS-10D is 2.1MB, while it's just 1.5MB on the S5000. A 3.2MP image from a Casio EX-Z3 is 1MB at the normal setting (1.5MB at fine quality), while it's 780KB on the S5000. Fuji needs to offer a JPEG-Fine mode."

This is the response from DCResource about S5000 and ALL the Fuji cameras with 3/6M or 6/12.

I've used S602 and 3M was better an 6M. You can read at Fuji how it's working.

Interpolation is ALWAYS interpolation:-)

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:27 AM   #4

You can find more informations at:

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...vBarId=I616756
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:28 AM   #5

I dont see why you should enlarge your pictures if you are just viewing them on the computer monitor; photoshop cs has the "resample" option where you can enlarge your picture; they say it is best to do it in small steps( e.g., if you want to make a 4096X3072 picture from the usual 2048x 1536 picture (a 200% increase in size) do the frist to say, 150% and then do the final enlargement to the desired size; there are other programs like http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/which does it automatically in what is called a "stair interpolation"; the ultimate enlargement program is thought to be "Genuine Fractals", although everyone may not agree with this. It is quite an expensive program and more info is available at http://www.lizardtech.com/products/gf/

For printing many people recommend Qimage which has a link from this site (see http://www.steves-digicams.com/digso..._printing.html) although personally I have been quite happy using the printer driver from windows XP to print upto A3 size (from a 3mp photo) on my photo quality Epson printer.
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:22 PM   #6

I take all this with a big pinch of salt. Judging by the pictures on my screen the improvement from using programs that use interpolation or genuine fractals or whatever is - at best - barely perceptible.

I can't comment on their effect if you're making really big prints because I haven't the equipment to make prints bigger than 8 x10 inches - & I seldom make them even that big!
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:52 PM   #7

Entirely agree with you; I was merely providing info for people who may be interested
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:31 PM   #8

Well thanks for all the information. Like I said just curious about the interpolation technolgy. I have come across some problems with my s1 is. I shot a wonder fully photo in full zoom, but the picture I would like to frame is somewhat small. I would like crop within the picture and still print it out as a 8x10. Thanks again guys. -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote