Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:04 AM   #1

Hey all!

Just picked up a new PowerShot G6 and have had a few issues. I haven't worked with a Canon before, so forgive me in advance if I'm asking something that's common knowledge; I couldn't find the answer to my question in the manual.

After I opened up and started firing away with the G6, I noticed a few of the shots were blurry. I figured it might be an LCD thing, but I uploaded them onto my laptop and noticed the same problem. Very blurry pics.

I managed to do a bit of fiddling with the camera and determined that it was me shaking that was making this happen. I was shooting indoors and hadn't noticed that my flash was not going off, hence slow shutter speeds and blur.

Now this in of itself is a simple problem to solve by having the flash go off. However, my concern is that I was in auto mode, which I had expeced to compensate for the relative dark in my girlfriend's apartment.

When I looked at the LCD, I noticed that instead of saying "Auto" when my mode dial was set to Auto, it says "C1" and "P" in the upper right corner of the display, as if I was in my Custom Setting mode. There is no difference between any of the camera's settings when I have th dial set to "Auto" or "C1". In my C1 setting, the LCD also displays "C1 and "P".

Is this normal? If I set my C1 profile to 100 ISO, that pops up on the LCD when I'm in Auto Mode as well, which seems counter intuitive to me. Shouldn't automatic mode be, well, automatic?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

~S~
Shaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:41 AM   #2

Well, if it helps you, my G6 says "Auto" in the top right of the LCD when in Auto mode. When the dial is set to C1 it says "C1 and P".

It sounds like there's something not right with your camera. Or perhaps there's something in the menus that causes this? I must admit I haven't read the entire manual.

MattMan
MattMan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

You might have to get your camera replaced, because something isn't working properly with the mode dial.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I wanted to make sure, though, since this was my first digital Canon and wasn't familiar with how it should be operating.

Now that I've taken a few shots with the camera on a stationary flat surface, the images are still slightly blurry even in good outdoor light. They look fine when shrunk to fit a screen, but looking at them at their true size shows blurred edges; unacceptable for such an expensive camera that has great resolution.

Between the blur and the funky mode dial, I'm off to have it replaced. Hopefully I'll have better luck with a different one, as it seems my experience is out of the ordinary with this camera.

Thanks for the responses!

~S~
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:37 AM   #5

yah..good idea. It probably needs to get exchanged for another one. The letters on the LCD should reflect the position at which the mode dial is currently set. So if we set 'auto' on the dial, then the LCD should read 'auto' as well. I'm kind of surprised these days at the lack of quality control coming from a number of different camera manufacturers. It's pretty poor stuff. The blurred images you're getting doesn't seem normal either.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:41 PM   #6

Hi Shaughn,

I bought a G6 a few weeks ago with the same problem that you are having,not displaying "Auto", in it's place were "C1" or "C" on it's ownwith "P" underneath,plus blurry photos (could have been camera shake). I exchanged mine,the replacment is O.K. but still trying to learn what settings are best for different light conditions ect.

Before I exchanged the camera I contacted Canon with regards to the problem ,with the following reply.

C1 and C2 are customer setting modes. P is the Program AE mode. Neither of
these modes should be visible when selecting the AUTO mode.

Furthermore if the G6 images are out of focus (both on the LCD display of the
camera and when downloaded to a PC) then we suggest it should be checked and
repaired by a Canon authorized service centre. Contact addresses as well as
telephone numbers can be found on http://www.canon.co.uk by clicking on "Contact Us",
and then on "Local Canon Contacts". Click on "Authorised repair centres for
Photos & Video products".

Regards tonyq
tonyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the input, tony. Good to know I wasn't just missing something. I figured the Auto/C1 issue might be user error, but I knew that wasn't the case with the blur. I set the camera on my tripod and my edges were still unclear.

My replacement seems good do far, but I'll give it a more thorough test in the next few days and post the results.

Other than this issue, love the layout and feel of the camera.

~S~