Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:38 PM   #1

Just got an A95, like it a lot. However when I upload my shots (even totally uneditied) to a photo website, the automatic details of exposure, lens focal length etc do not show up..........whereas other users info does.

Apparently this is EXIF information which should be embedded in the photo file. The A95 claims to be compatible, but I can't get it to output these details.

Does anyone know how to activate this?
armhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2

*bump*
pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:55 PM   #3
Administrator

Chances are, you're using something that is stripping out the EXIF (software for downloading, resizing, etc.). The camera should put the EXIF in the photos, regardless of any camera settings.

When you say "unedited", are the photos untouched by any editor since downloading from the camera? If so, are you making any changes to the photos during the download process (resizing, or whatever)? Even Windows can strip out the EXIF if you use it for doing any kind of photo manipulation.

Although it's possible that the web site is doing something wrong, it's unlikely if the EXIF from other user's cameras shows up. It's probably something you are doing (or some software that you are using to handle the photos for transferring from the camera,etc.).

Download something like Irfanview (it's free) from http://www.irfanview.com(make sure to download the free plugins, too). You can see the EXIF under Image, Information, EXIF.

Then, you can figure out where it's being stripped out by looking at the photos "straight from the camera" (which will include the EXIF), and looking at them again after you change anything with software.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:09 PM   #4

Great! Just the reply I was after, thanks very much.

Yep was resizing that was stripping it, MSPaint, ARCSoft Photoimpression, and any other graphics related programmes I could find on my PC were evidently stripping it out when resizing.

Whereas Infranview seems to leave it alone and gives considerable detail.

Great community, hope this thread helps someone else

Thanks again
armhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:37 PM   #5
Administrator

BTW, it's also possible to read the EXIF, then put it back in again after editing. Check out EXIFER:

http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:44 PM   #6

TX for the great tip with EXIFER JimC, I DL it. If it's not too complicated, how the heck does one put the exif back into the edited image? I selected all pictures in a folder with EXIFER and clicked on Backup. I then went to ZoomBrowser and edited a picture. I noticed the data wasn't there so I went back to Exifer to open the edited file and the data wasn't there either, not even with Restore.

Sorry if it's too big a deal, there isn't any help or How To on Exifer's website. I figured it would be as simple as select all pix, save exifer and that would be all there was to it. LOL
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:41 PM   #7
Administrator

Here's a page that explains it:

http://bppdocs.camner.net/html/exifer_info.htm

Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:19 PM   #8

Thank you Jim, niiice!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:28 AM   #9

Jim, it seems like I added an extra folder for nothing. Is it really necessary to have that last folder. I think I'm misreading the help but it IS working. I'm just wondering if I added a step I need not have..

Attached Images