Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:17 PM   #21

Santos wrote:
Quote:
Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Redeye occurs when the flash is too close to the lens. You're seeing the reflection of the flash from the eye's retina. This is a problem with a lot of compact cameras including all of the G series Canons. It's a design compromise that Canon made to keep the G6 within a certain physical size.
Yeah... but the thing is... these mid-end prosumers, like the Canon G6, are not compact by any means. It's almost the size the ultra-zooms (like S1 IS). I think these prosumers need to go with pop-up flash (like the ultra-zooms)...makes no sense to have a mid-end prosumer, which costs more and is supposed to be "better", have worse flash than the mid-end ultra-zooms...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:58 PM   #22

Herb wrote:
Quote:
"It gives me the idea of making an attachment with a couple of mirrors in it - like a sort or reverse periscope - that would clip to the camera & deflect the flash so that it emerged an inch or two further away from the camera lens." Herb
Canon Submarine #G6;" ... ready torpedo tubes ... periscope up ... full speed ahead!":lol:

Sorry Herb, I just had to throw in a bit of humor. I think I've been a little too serious lately. As for your 'reverse periscope' idea ... it just might work! However, I would suggest that the next time you come up with a good idea like that, you might want to keep it to yourself. As soon as I'm finished this post, I am off to the Patent Office with a rough sketch of 'my' new invention, which I will call; "Dean's Compact Camera Anti-Red-Eye Flash Periscope". If all goes well, I 'may' considercutting you in for 10% of the net profits ... no promises!:blah:

Seriously though, I think Santos is right. Although a bit on the large size, the G6 was made (and isclassified) as a 'compact' camera with no pop-up flash. If the G6 had a pop-up flash, it might be an even better camera than it already is, but itwould alsobean even larger and heaviercamera. Fortunately, Canon was good enough to include a 'hot-shoe' on this compact, so an external flash can be added. I don't do a lot of flash photography myself, but I am of the opinion that (pop-up flash or not), any 'serious' flash photography should be done with an external flash anywayz. IMHO:-)

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:51 PM   #23

Herb wrote:
Quote:
Santos -

"Redeye occurs when the flash is too close to the lens." I've been pondering why red-eye's worse with some cameras than others, and your explanation makes sense.

It gives me the idea of making an attachment with a couple of mirrors in it - like a sort or reverse periscope - that would clip to the camera & deflect the flash so that it emerged an inch or two further away from the camera lens.

Herb
hehehe.... just read Dean's reply...

That's very creative thinking Herb. :idea: You could make a quick prototype out of heavy paper and aluminum foil. I'd send you a sketch, but then you'd have to include my name on the patent application...:lol:

regards...Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:49 PM   #24

Dean & Santos,

I doubt there'll be any rush to the Patent Office. Meantime, having read that the G6 has a shoe that takes an external flash, isn't that the answer? There used to be some that were very compact - probably smaller than my invention.....and probably cheaper.

Herb
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:56 PM   #25

Herb,

I just got back from the Patent Office. What a whole lot of *&^%$#@! red tape, just to get a simpleflash periscope patented! Those patent officeguysmade me fill out all the formsin triplicate!

Anywayz ... yes,an external flash mounted in the G6's hot-shoe should solve most, if not all of the G6's flash problems (red-eye, etc.).

:|Dean

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote