Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:50 AM   #1

I am now a reasonably satisfied S1 owner; does anyone think it worthwhile moving to the Pro1 (or the very similar Minolta A2, Olymous 8080 and the Nikon 8700) in terms of image quality ( not a great fan of high MP Count!!!), especially the abilty to produce SLR-like out-of focus backgrounds for portraits and flowers?

The difference in the physical sensor size between the two cameras and all the others in the pack (1/2.7" vs 2/3") does seem significant, but considering that the Pro1 (and the others) has more than twice the number of pixels in a sensor about 1.5 times as large, would that impact the picture quality much?

I have also considered moving to the low-end dSLRs like the Nikon D70 and especially the new Pentax *ist DS; against these are the necessity to carry additional lenses and the inability of the SLRs to take video (which I would like to have).

Your considered opinins are most welcome.

Steve, your opinion will be particularly appreciated.
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2

I'm just a newbie so take it for what it's worth...

I think the Pro1 is flawed. If I had to pick a high-end prosumer, I would go with Olympus 8080 (or maybe even the Nikon).

In any case, I don't think it's worth going for a high-end prosumer now. If I were you, I would wait at least one year. The difference between the S1 IS and the high-end prosumers likely isn't great IMO (of course, this depends on how good you are)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

I think that sivaram is right. The pro 1 has got some probs with it. Quality control is the prob I think...operational flaws that will surface and frustrate the user. You just have to read the reviews out there from the owners and then you'll find out.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:17 PM   #4

Hi 'Samcheri'!

It looks like you're getting some very goodadvice in theposts above.

If you are "reasonably satisfied" with the Canon S1 IS, then maybe it's best that you stick with it, at least for now. I'm not an owner (yet), but from what I've found to date, the world of 8MP prosumer cameras is a real mixed bag, and some are outright DISAPPOINTING (e.g. the Pro 1).

One camera shop owner that I knowand deal with, describes thegroup of 8MP prosumercameras as; "a herd of three legged horses". Almost without exception, each one of them has one or more major shortcomings (slow operation, focusing problems, major image concerns, dust getting in the lens,etc., etc. ... ).

You might ask; "Am I gettingfrustrated in my attempts to find an 8MP prosumer camera that I'm reasonably sure I'll be happy with?" My answerwould be;"YOU BET I AM!!!"

I'm beginning to think that until thecamera companies decide to start producing 8MP prosumer cameras that work properly (i.e. no major faults), maybe thename of this group of cameras should be changed to '8MP proLOSER cameras'. :lol:

IMHO,

Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:36 PM   #5

Well said DeanB .. while I like my canon G6 a lot for normal shots...the night shots with people in it have heaps and heaps of red eye (using the built-in flash). You just wonder how Canon..that's been around for a while now...can push this kind of nonsense onto us....with the experience that they have etc. This applies also to the pro1.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:53 AM   #6

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to reply

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So for the moment I will hang onto my S1 an enjoy it

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"May sometime later in 2005 (much,much later!!)I will look at the 8MP ProLOSERS again!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Or perhaps something will come from the PMA in Feb
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:31 PM   #7

Kenny -

I don't think I'd condemn the G6 for the presence of red-eye in night shots.

The only remedy for red-eye that it's possible to build in to a camera is (so far as I know) the kind of flash that fires several times before both it and the camera shutter fire. That makes the irises in peoples eyes contract & thus reduces red-eye, but it also means that the shutter's firing is noticeably delayed after you've pressed the release button. I've always found that a bit of a nuisance & I suspect tends to induce camera shake.

Personally, I prefer to correct red-eye by using Photoshop. .....

Herb
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:06 PM   #8

Hoooold yer horses there Kenny!

I hope you didn't think my slightly light-hearted bashing of the '8MP prosumers' included the 7MP G6. From what I understand, although it's not perfect, the G6 is a very good camera!

Actually, because I'mbeingfrustrated with the '8MP prosumers', I still have the G6 as a back-up alternative, if I decide to avoid the 8MPs altogether. I've heard so many good things about the G6. It's not quite as fast operating as I'd like, and I'd prefer more zoom, etc.,BUT there are so many good thingsabout it.

Also ... please tell me if this is wrong;I've heard thata lot of red-eye can be eliminatedby quickly taking the shot twice (i.e. the first shot causes the subject's pupils tocontract). I hardly ever do any flash photography,so I haven't tired this yet. Does it work?

:|
Dean

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:14 PM   #9

Herb .. I bought the G6 anyhow, knowing full well about the red eye problems that people report. I then experienced it myself after trying it out. Seriously...my nikon 950 didn't get anywhere near as much red eye as the G6. But then...it's been reported already by various folks out there that the G6 has red eye more than what you'd expect. And I even found out for myself...but I believed the reports in the first place. Just that I've tested it and even seen it for myself now.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:18 PM   #10

Hold your horses there DeanB .. I was actually referring to lack of quality ...and lack of quality control...ie pushing stuff out onto buyers with faults/flaws that shouldn't be allowed to exist in the marketted product.