Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1

Does anyone know if Canon has any plans to replace the S1 IS model anytime soon? This was the camera I had chosen after looking for quite awhile, however my main concern was that the camera only had 3.2 megapixels. At the time I was looking (6 months ago) it seemed everybody was moving up in megapixels and the 3.2 seemed rather low for a camera at that price. I realize that you don't always need 8 megapixels or even 5 or 6 but I did think 3.2 was rather low. Still, it had everything else I wanted, the nice zoom, image stablization and it was a Canon. In the end I choose another camera and I really wished that Canon had up'd the megapixels in this camera. I couldn't understand how they could put so many great features in the camera but leave the megapixels lagging behind it's competitors. If the mp had of been just a bit higher this would have been the perfect camera for me. Still, I have noticed that I never really see anyone complaining about this which puzzles me. I know the camera takes great pictures but what if you plan on making bigger enlargements? I would think that Canon would recognize the one major weakness in this model and replace it with a higher mp camera. Was just wondering if anyone else shared my concerns and if there is plans for a replacment model.
jckrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:44 PM   #2

It'd be nice if they added an AF assist lamp in the S1IS as well.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:57 PM   #3

Ithought about waiting too, but I figure it will cost quite a pretty penny when it first comes out. A heck of alot more then the S1 does now, it may not even be justified as I wiould be comparing it to more expensive cameras. I NEVER WIN!:angry:
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:24 PM   #4

I think the s1IS is cool already. I mean..my nikon 950 doesn't even have a AF assist illuminator, but it takes super cool quality pictures under normal conditions. I like this camera a lot. I recently got a canon g6 as well, but I often use the nikon 950 more. It's 2 megapixel...but I hardly do any prints anyhow. In fact.....I've never even got prints done before...and I think I started using digicams since 1999 hehehehe
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:50 AM   #5

:G I understand you... 3.2 MP is somehow small, but you must decide before buying a camera the things you need and expect the most from it. If you need larger prints you must go with a 4 or 5 MP sensor in lack of a smaller zoom, but if you do not print photos so much and want to have a lot of fun you can go with the S1. I've got one and sincerely I do not need more than 3.2 MP. I print photos at 5x7 in. and its quite enough for me.
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote