Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:45 AM   #11

:?The reply from Canon for reason not equiped with AF assist beam due to the FOCAL LENGTH OF THE LENS, they felt the AF assist beam wouldn't be use effectively. Rather than using an AF-assist beam, they equipped the S1 IS with a FOCUS LOCK MODE and MANUAL FOCUSING MODE. These modes should be able to assist the users when difficulty in focus in low light or any difficulty situations.

I don't understand what they said,further explanation from you guys would be appreciated.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:29 AM   #12

None of those are a good reason IMO.

" not equiped with AF assist beam due to the FOCAL LENGTH OF THE LENS, they felt the AF assist beam wouldn't be use effectively."
The Panasonic FZ20 has a longer zoom than the S1 and itsassist lightis quite effective. The S1 flash is good to 12 feet in telephoto, and a good assist beam should work to that range.

"Rather than using an AF-assist beam, they equipped the S1 IS with a FOCUS LOCK MODE and MANUAL FOCUSING MODE."
Focus lock doesn't do much if the camera can't get a focus to lock. You can lock focus on something else about the same distance that has better contrast, but that is spotty. Manual focus is very difficult in marginal light with the EVF – even if you blow up the view. You have to use the distance scale, and I find a digital readout better than an analog scale. Even so it will work, but it is a lot more hassle than just taking the picture with a decent assist lamp.

I think they are just blowing smoke. The camera should have an assist light. If you take a lot of pictures in low light and are having focus problems you might consider putting a LED light with an on/off switch on the camera. Ones with a momentary switch are too much trouble. I put this one on my FZ10 and it works fine: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226 If I am taking pictures of people I lock the focus and turn it off before I take the picture. Leaving it on reduces red-eye but people tend to squint. It is nice to have the switch right on the light rather than have to go to the menu to turn it on or off. This is the light on my camera:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:44 PM   #13

:?to SLIPE: - I assume the FZ10 differ from the FZ20, it does not equiped with the AF-assist beam, that's why you equiped your FZ10 with the LED LIGHT? but if my assumption is wrong and the FZ10 does equiped with the AF-assist beam. then why do you have to install the LED LIGHT, is it because the AF-assist beam in the camera is not effective? Thanks !

I agreed with you that "IF YOU CAN'T FOCUS, HOW CAN YOU LOCK IT " your logic appears to be corrected.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:29 PM   #14

jimmy380 wrote:
Quote:
:?The reply from Canon for reason not equiped with AF assist beam due to the FOCAL LENGTH OF THE LENS, they felt the AF assist beam wouldn't be use effectively. Rather than using an AF-assist beam, they equipped the S1 IS with a FOCUS LOCK MODE and MANUAL FOCUSING MODE. These modes should be able to assist the users when difficulty in focus in low light or any difficulty situations.

I don't understand what they said, further explanation from you guys would be appreciated.
Not really great reasons but I think what they mean is... this is an ultra-zoom and people wouldn't be taking close pics. The max focal length is something like 380mm and is generally only helpful for far away objects. This is especially true given that the S1 IS can't focus at telphoto at anything less than one meter (or something like that). Since AF-assist beam only has a range of about 3 meters, and since you can only focus past 1 meter at telephoto, and since most people buy ultra-zooms to zoom at far-away objects, the AF-assist is not needed Whether you buy that or not is up to you

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:36 PM   #15

jimmy380 wrote:
Quote:
I agreed with you that "IF YOU CAN'T FOCUS, HOW CAN YOU LOCK IT " your logic appears to be corrected.
Well, isn't the manual focus supposed to let you focus by yourself? So I guess the strategy is to use manual focus to focus and then lock the focus. Of course, if the manual focus sucks (which it does), then locking is kind of pointless--at least in this argument against AF-assist beam...

In any case, I PERSONALLY don't miss the AF-assist beam much. All my indoor people pics are taken with flash (and the S1 IS has pretty strong flash for general use), and the rest that I take in low-light (eg. buildings, city, etc) generally wouldn't be improved with the Af-assist lamp (since the AF lamp only has a range of 3 meters)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:25 PM   #16

Quote:
to SLIPE: - I assume the FZ10 differ from the FZ20, it does not equiped with the AF-assist beam, that's why you equiped your FZ10 with the LED LIGHT? but if my assumption is wrong and the FZ10 does equiped with the AF-assist beam. then why do you have to install the LED LIGHT, is it because the AF-assist beam in the camera is not effective? Thanks !
The FZ10 doesn't have a focus assist lamp. I think the LED is a little more powerful than the built-in light on the FZ20, but I wouldn't have bothered to put the LED on if the camera had come with an assist light. I've fooled around in completely dark rooms and focused out to 20 feet with the LED. Subject contrast would vary that considerably.

I used a friend's FZ20 and think the LED does a better job of compensating for the EVF not brightening in low light. The combination of the viewfinder not gaining up and having no readout of the manual focus distance makes focusing in low light out of range of the assist light a challenge with either camera.

There is no reason to lock the focus after using manual focus. It isn't going to change unless you change it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:35 PM   #17

Actually, it makes perfect sense. At least to me! In low light situations you can set the hyperfocal distance manualy, then lock the focus. I actually went a step further and saved the hyperfocal distance (along with other low light kind settings) as a profile to the "c" mark on the dial. now in the dark, I stand aprox 6ft back and every thing from aprox 5ft to infinity is in focus. In decent lighting I never have a problem so long as there are vertical lines to focus on.

In really low light, you'd expect to want long exposures anyway. So a tripod makes more sense and perhaps a temp light to set correct focus AF or manually.(i really like the Led idea). I do agree that an AF beam would have helped, but there reasoning for not including one does make sense. (not the best sense, but sense it still makith)
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:04 PM   #18

:-)Since I am relatively new to the digital camera, I want to explore all the functions of this new way of taking pictures. The S1 IS has 3 light metering mode. I try all of them, I discover the SPOT metering shows the pictures sharper and the color is much better than the other CENTER and AVERAGE METERING. Anyboby has any though of the matter?

Apart from few faults in this camera, I think this is a great camera, load of features, everytime you try something, it seems to turn out better.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:55 AM   #19

Anyone tested what Canon suggests at p96?

"Using the Manual Focus in Combination with the Auto Focus.

1 Focus the camera with the manual focus.

[align=left]2
Press the SET button.[/align]

[align=left]􀁺
The camera focuses automatically to a more accurate focusing point near the current focusing point.[/align]

[align=left]3
Press the shutter button all the way to shoot the image.[/align]

[align=left]You can change the MF indicator displayed distance units (p. 67).[/align]

[align=left]You cannot change the AF frame setting while focusing manually. Cancel the manual focus mode, then change the AF frame setting."[/align]
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:19 AM   #20

Adwulf wrote:
Quote:
Anyone tested what Canon suggests at p96?
*snip*
This doesn't make sense...because I can't see where the autocus has been engaged in this procedure.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote