Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 9, 2002, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Has anyone compared s230 (ixus v3) vs. Pentax Optio 430RS

Hello,
I am trying to decide wether to go for the new Canon or the Pentax Optio 430RS, both are compact, steel body and about the similiar price in GERMANY.
Has anyone compared these two? Which one would you go for :?:
Ramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2002, 3:49 PM   #2

Hi Ramin,

I have not compared the Pentax with Canon, but I did want to tell you that I've had many digital cameras over the years and many Canon models, and now have the S230 which replaced my S20 (and a G3 I picked up yesterday to replace my G2).

I have now taken close to 1000 photos with the S230 and I must say that I love the camera. The new processor in this model makes it handle most shots with ease, and some even better than my G2 did. And the small size makes it absolutely wonderful and it's been on my belt constantly for the last month now.

I particularly like the ability of the camera to handle off-center subjects and tricky lighting. And the flash is amazingly powerful.

I suspect this is rapidly becoming my favorite all-round camera. Sure I've got better cameras, but the features and size of this one make it just great.

Good luck with your decision, but for my money you can't go wrong with the S230.

Tim (in Canada)
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:38 PM   #3

Default Re: Has anyone compared s230 (ixus v3) vs. Pentax Optio 430R

Based on the sample photos on this site, the Optio 330RS and the 330GS are actually as good (if not sharper) than the 430RS. If you want to save some money I would consider the 3MP Optio's rather than the 430rs.

But the Canon is also a great camera. In fact the S230's images are nearly as sharp as my Minolta Dimage 7's. (I have both and an Optio 230)

The Pentax cameras offer some more advanced options such as auto bracketing shots and adjustments in image crop. But the Canon wins for overall lens quality. In either the Optio or Powershot you've got a great camera.

Also look into the Canon S30 as their prices are dropping almost as low as the S230 here in the US.

-Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramin
Hello,
I am trying to decide wether to go for the new Canon or the Pentax Optio 430RS, both are compact, steel body and about the similiar price in GERMANY.
Has anyone compared these two? Which one would you go for :?:
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD27
Hi Ramin,

I have not compared the Pentax with Canon, but I did want to tell you that I've had many digital cameras over the years and many Canon models, and now have the S230 which replaced my S20 (and a G3 I picked up yesterday to replace my G2).

I have now taken close to 1000 photos with the S230 and I must say that I love the camera. The new processor in this model makes it handle most shots with ease, and some even better than my G2 did. And the small size makes it absolutely wonderful and it's been on my belt constantly for the last month now.

I particularly like the ability of the camera to handle off-center subjects and tricky lighting. And the flash is amazingly powerful.

I suspect this is rapidly becoming my favorite all-round camera. Sure I've got better cameras, but the features and size of this one make it just great.

Good luck with your decision, but for my money you can't go wrong with the S230.

Tim (in Canada)
Hi Tim,

I'm from Canada as well, just curious as to where you bought your S230 from and for how much? Thanks!!
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:10 AM   #5

Hi Gdog,

I bought my camera from ImagePoin t (formerly York International) on St. Catherine Street in Montreal. I deal with a fellow named Stewart, and I've bought a LOT of cameras and printers from him over the last few years. I've always gotten exceptional service from him (and the whole company) and I don't want to make this sound like a commercial, so I'll stop raving about them.

And I won't mention the price I paid either, as I'm sure he gave me a bit of a better deal than they normally sell the camera for (because I deal with them a lot). But let's just say they are very competitive.

Hope this helps...
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 6:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD27
Hi Gdog,

I bought my camera from ImagePoin t (formerly York International) on St. Catherine Street in Montreal. I deal with a fellow named Stewart, and I've bought a LOT of cameras and printers from him over the last few years. I've always gotten exceptional service from him (and the whole company) and I don't want to make this sound like a commercial, so I'll stop raving about them.

And I won't mention the price I paid either, as I'm sure he gave me a bit of a better deal than they normally sell the camera for (because I deal with them a lot). But let's just say they are very competitive.

Hope this helps...
Interesting...thanks. New S230 review is out at www.imaging-resource.com
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote