Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:22 PM   #1

Since getting my A95 I've decided there's 2 things I want for it, both of which need to be created for lack of a retail version.

The first being a shutter release cable bracket. it's easy enough for me to fabricate a one off that I would just use myself but on the other hand a friend suggested that I run a small production assuming I'm not the only one with this need. I was wondering if anyone else would be interested and also if it would be better to create an adjustable one that would fit more cameras there by reducing price (illustrations have been sent with statement of disclosure to the U.S patent office:-)) or if a camera specific bracket would be more favored.

I'm swaying more toward adjustable because I would love it if I could just go buy one for under $40, to bad I can't. Anyone think it's worth starting a pole or something

I also have a good friend thats a programer reverse enginering the canon software to see how hard it would be to use a PDA running a Palm OS for a control, Time lapse control etc. with a viewing screen.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2

Not sure about the bracket thing...

Broken Arrow wrote:
Quote:
I also have a good friend thats a programer reverse enginering the canon software to see how hard it would be to use a PDA running a Palm OS for a control, Time lapse control etc. with a viewing screen.
I think Canon offers an SDK (software developer's kit) for their camera. Usually SDKs are offered by companies to allow others to write applications. I'm not sure what's in it but it wouldn't surprise me you were able to control the camera using that. If you friend doesn't know about it yet, ask him to look into it...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:59 AM   #3

I would be interested in remote shutter release capabilities for my A95.
Bankedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:38 PM   #4

any machine that runs zoombrowser, can use remote capture to trip the shutter. A laptop though big, will work for this already. I'm sure its just a matter of getting a palm to talk to the cameras usb port and find what registers are for shutter release.

but that just sounds easy..

Also, in the meantime, just set the timer and use it for a delayed shuter release. a cable may shake the camera a bit when engaged, on long exposures it may not matter, but at 1sec and up I think it would create a slight blur..
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote