Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:52 PM   #1

Wich provides better quality, use the digital zoom on my S1 IS or stop at 10X zoom take a photo and use genuine fractal to zoom in on the photo. thanks garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2

I have no clue what genuine fractal is... I presume it is to crop...

Well, I will answer before people start bashing digital zoom. I'd say it depends what size you plan to print. Generally speaking digital zoom isn't great because keep in mind that it degrades your picture quality. Probably that if you use the maximal digital zoom it will give you a picture roughly the quality of a 640x480 picture. My best suggestion to you is to take pictures with it and to print them to see what is acceptable for you. Generally speaking I'd suggest to avoid it, except in situation where you consciently want it.

People checked and the quality of digital zoom and cropping is very similar. So if you want to disable digital zoom to keep the best image quality and to crop what u want after, then go for it.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:39 PM   #3

Genuine Fractal is...... Software/plugin that interpolates pixels in your photo, generally to upsize/res-up the image. Pretty good program, I printed some 8x10 from a 1 megapixel camera. Mind you the pictues looked very good, thats probably the ticket, ii's picture quality. Hope this helps. -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:14 PM   #4

Ooh if genuine fractal is pixel interpolation, then it definitively is better than digital zoom, because as I said, digital zoom is basicly the same as cropping.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:52 AM   #5

Decent software packages that interpolate/zoom are likely to be better than in-camera digital zooming. Computers have way more processing power, memory, etc and software designers have more freedom in designing the algorithms. So I would say any DECENT software package should be able to interpolate better than any in-camera interpolation/zooming.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:20 PM   #6

Qimage is another program that is very good for upsizing images. It allows for a choice of algorithms to choose, as well as printing to a file. The results are generally very good, even better than Genuine Fractals for extreme magnifications, where the latter tends to give a very watercolor-like effect.
nhf7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:21 PM   #7

Qimage is also cheaper and is an excellent image browser/print management program.
nhf7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:48 PM   #8

You can download a free trial version of Qimage, also. I don't know if it's the best interpolation program, but it's very good.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:09 PM   #9

Digital zoom is just an upsample of a portion of the image in cameras where you end up with the same image size you would have without the digital zoom. Evidently there are a few cameras that just give you the smaller crop and take up less memory – but that seems to be the minority. Some cameras seem to do better than others with the upsample.

I think you could answer your question better by doing both with a long shot to see what works out better. If you have Photoshop you could try Fred Miranda's step interpolation (SI)). It seems to work at least as well as Genuine Fractals and is free. I just make an action of four 5% increased and another with four of the first actions. You can end up pretty close to where you want to be: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop..._08/essay.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:25 PM   #10

slipe's suggestion of the 5% solution works very well (and it is free).

If you want to try a couple of the commercial ones out there:

Downloadable 10 use trial of Genuine Fractals. They claim it is not interploation,
it saves the original as a a pile of coordinates and rebuilds the image to the size you need using a fractal engine.

There is also the Extensis pxl Smartscale, There is a 30 day trial for it.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote