Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

Has anybody ever try to make a home made telephoto lens. The pictue below is a Home made macro lens. Does a pretty decent job. I've used "abs" plumbing and standard glass lens. Whole project cost about 6 bucks CND. I would like to try and make a telephoto, it seems a little more difficult with focal lengths and images inverted. Any suggestions would be helpful. Keep in mind it is for the PS S1 IS. Thanks -garman
Attached Images

garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:58 AM   #2

I'd like to see / make / get one that's about 5 to 6 feet long (and with an end about 2 to 3 feet wide for an F/3.2 or even as wide as an F/2.0 aperture), for my S1 IS.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:17 PM   #3

Just finished the telphoto lens. Found a old video lens from vivitar. Can't seem to find any information on the lens. Anyway used standard abs plumbing again and inserted lens. Works well.
BTW if anybody has any info on this lens please send it my way.
Picture inset with red border is the macro lens.

total cost: lens $15 and abs tube $0.68.
Lens: vivitar 2x telephoto video lens 52mm mount.
-garman
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:02 PM   #4

can't see image...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:42 PM   #5

you should just buy the actual lens adapter and hood set, then all you need is conversion rings to fit all sorts of different lens to your S1IS.
I actually have the 3.5x version of that vivitar tele converter and it screws right in at 52mm. I also have a macro and wide angle Ambico lens that is 60(something)mm, all I did was take a 58-52mm conversionring butted it up against the back of the lens and ran electric tape around the ring and lens threads joing them together nicely. Now its 52mm thread right to the adapter on the S1. I was going to buy a ring for it, but this worked and look so good that I opted out to wait. Anyway, I want to buy a better wide angle and seperate macro anyway, its just a matter of time and $$$..
Attached Images

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:07 PM   #6

The 3.5x tele lens, where and how much. Anyway I found a .5x wide angle lens from vivitar. Works well same cost about 15$ CAN. Here are some samples of pics I have taken. Excuse the quality, taken through my window at home. Cold outside.
top left wide angle lens, top right S1 wide angle lens. Bottom left 2x telephoto lens and bottom right 10x zoom from S1.
BTW how much "vingetting" (spelling?) are you getting when using the teleconverter lens. Mine seems pretty harsh. Hitting zoom takes care of the problem. The wide angle has very small vingetting. -garman
Attached Images

Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:20 PM   #7

Oh yes, the 3.5x is harsh as heck! I only use it for fun. I owned it long before buying the S1, just happens to be 52mm and looks killer on there. It's actually great for taking pics of license plates:?
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:10 PM   #8

From that distance, I'd rather look/take pix of senoritas. :G
-garman
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:43 AM   #9

lol...

so how do you make the teles? I don't have enough zoom on my S1 as it is. I want to be able to take pics of senoritas without them being able to see me.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:08 PM   #10

Where do you get this adapter / hood combo at? Do you know right off the top what it costs? And also, how about some samples of what a 3.5X does on the S1? Thanks
pcimaging is offline   Reply With Quote