Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: Are You for the CANON PowerShot S230 or for the SONY DSC-P9?
The CANON PowerShot S230 6 75.00%
The SONY DSC-P9 1 12.50%
Others (Said me which one!!!) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:27 PM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot s230 (3.2 mp) OR The Sony DSC-P9 (4 mp)

I speak French and I tried to translate my text in English. Excuse me for the for lack of spelling or of grammar.

Hello,

I have the choice between two digitals cameras...

- The PowerShot S230 of CANON, she has 3.2 megapixel...
AND
- The DSC-P9 of SONY, she has 4 megapixel...

I looked at the examples of photos for each and I find that the CANON has a more clear picture and MORE BEAUTIFUL than the SONY...

I believe chosen for the CANON despite the less high zoom (1X of difference) and the small difference of megapixel.

I would want your opinion... And if you have other digitals camera choices, do not hesitate...

I would want her to be rather small... The price imports me little... And a MINIMUM of 3.2 megapixels...

Thank-you

Dan
danielgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2002, 1:45 PM   #2

Hi Daniel,

I too am in Quebec (Montreal) and I've had more than a dozen digital cameras in the last 5 years or so. I currently have the Canon S230, a new G3 (picked up last Friday), an older S20 (which is now being retired) and a Nikon Coolpix 5000.

Every camera has its strengths and weaknesses, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Canon S230.

Of course the small size is a major attraction (it has been on my belt constantly for 4 weeks now) but the latest version of the bios/logic in the camera is outstanding. It's amazing to me how much the latest cameras have improved!

As a matter of fact, the S230 produced better results in tricky lighting than my G2 did, and that is what convinced me to upgrade the G2 to a G3. (The tricky lighting was long exposure for the background with fill-in flash for the foreground, with the subject off-center. Even when focusing manually with the G2 (because of the darkness probably) I preferred the results of the S230 in those conditions, and those of course with no effort.

I also like the fact that it uses Compact Flash instead of proprietary memory but wish it also would work with microdrive (which it does not). Battery life is incredible!

I am very very happy with the S230.

By the way, I got it here in Montreal for almost as good a price as mail-order, but from a dealer I've bought many cameras from and have always gotten good service/support.

Hope this helps...

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 4:36 PM   #3

Default Thanks...

Thank-you very much for your help...

The S230 is incredible... It's true, the strength of the S230 is unbelievable to the point of saw price, size and quality of the picture offered... We are surement not the only ones to think it... This is a small true jewels...
danielgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:52 AM   #4

Your answer lies right here: compact flash or memory stick...

I would buy the S230 solely for CF memory. It is cheaper and bigger in size compared to memory sticks.
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 7:54 PM   #5

Default S230 V P9

Considering this is a Canon forum, you'll get rather biased responses I think.

Anyway, while I LOVE Sony's overall product design, quality build and image results (they are on a whole comparable to the Canon shot for shot). The 1 reason I will NEVER buy a Sony camera is that damn Memory Stick. It's twice as slow as a CF card and this is a big problem with larger imagery. Also it's more expensive. Too bad Sony.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 7:56 PM   #6

Default Re: S230 V P9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaug
Considering this is a Canon forum, you'll get rather biased responses I think.

Anyway, while I LOVE Sony's overall product design, quality build and image results (they are on a whole comparable to the Canon shot for shot). The 1 reason I will NEVER buy a Sony camera is that damn Memory Stick. It's twice as slow as a CF card and this is a big problem with larger imagery. Also it's more expensive. Too bad Sony.
exactly...sony makes nice cameras, BUT the memory stick is a major turn off.
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 3:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog123
Your answer lies right here: compact flash or memory stick...

I would buy the S230 solely for CF memory. It is cheaper and bigger in size compared to memory sticks.
I will agree with this. Get the Canon so you can use CF. Not that you will have a problem using the Memory Stick or finding them. It's just that buying them will cost you a lot more money,
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote