Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:40 AM   #1

:sad:Since S1 has no MACRO MODE, but there is macro lens or close-up lends available for this camera. Has anybobyany information about the lens and how good are they? Is the picture quality good? Thanks.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:31 PM   #2

You can buy close up lenses/ macro lenses from both canon and many other companies. All you need is the lens converter, I personally use a cheap one made by optex for now and find it works great forme. However, I'm still looking forward to purchasing some better ones in the future. The one I have now is 2 parts, 1 macro and another wide angle which screws into that. again, quality will be better with better optics, but I'm just having fun with this for the time being and it really does give good results...
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:01 PM   #3

Hi - can I plead ignorance here? Looking at the spec for the S1 IS it does not quote a macro facility like other cameras but it does say that focussing goes down to 3.9 inches and up to infinity of course. How does it focus that close when other cameras only quote down to 3 feet (unless you use their macro mode) and why do you need to get any closer than 3.9 inches?

Thanks,

James
James4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4

yes it will focus down to the inches, however, the subject will not fill the frame the way it would with a macro lens. also, if you zoom to 10X, you would have to stand aprox 5feet back to get a focus.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:42 PM   #5

Hi ,If you look on lensmateonline.com there is a section on macro photography as well as a range of lenses from different manufacturerscompared side by side with examples.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:07 PM   #6

:?I did look at the "LENSMATEONLINE" before posted my question on this Forum. The information outlined in the site is confused to me. The site says CANON 250D MACRO LENS is most suitable for S1, but when I look at the CANON SITE, it says 52mm CLOSE-UP LENS 500D and nowhere in the site mention anything about 250D Macro Lens.

LENSCAPLARRY explain the need for this Lens beautifully. Thanks.

The cost of the CANON CLOSE-UP LENS 500D selling in Canada is $170. Is it worth?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:56 AM   #7

jimmy, I was going to explain the differences, but I think this is the better way to go..

http://www.camerahobby.com/Access-Canon500D.htm

Ps. the futureshop has the 500d listed for 149.99cdn, but its 58mm you would need a 52-58mm converter ring.

The idea of a converter ring actually has me thinking I would be better off going this route as this 58mm lens could be used on cameras like the Pro1 and G6 and perhaps other newer cameras down the road. Does that make good sense to you???
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:48 AM   #8

:OLENSCAPLARRY- Since you have to buy an step-up ring 52-58mm, the cost is becoming insignicant anymore. The important question now is the space separating the lens and the adapter will create problems for picture-taking( such as distortion)? As close-up picture taking is quite critical, little space like that can effect the quality of the picture. Have you try? and how the picture come out? Otherwise, it's a great idea to go. Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:05 AM   #9

I don't think its a problem though, I found info which seems to suggest its not..

http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/18_500d-1.stm

anyhoo, I was just thinking of the future, I do plan to upgrade my camera and it does seem most higher end camers are using 58mm threads anyway. I figure if its possible, I would like the option of keeping my $150 close up lens for my next camera. I figure its esafer to go from 58-52mm then the other way around.

anyway, I'm sure someone here knows for sure if it will infact mess with the image. I do know the big thing about this lens is that you will not lose any light through it..

this is a highly praised lens, I suspect its definetly a lens that can grow along with your equipment quite nicely..

*update*

I just found this:
" Close-up lenses such as the Canon 500D Close-up Lens result in higher magnification when used with longer telephoto lens but shorter focal length lenses result in higher magnification when used with Extension Tubes" [props] © 2003 - 2005 Bryan Carnathan

That sounds like it would almost be benificial to bring it out further from the lens..

ANYONE????
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:19 AM   #10

HI GUYS,Why are you looking at stepping up to a 58mm 250 or 500d when they appear to be available in 52mm?I just put "canon 500d 52mm" into google and came up with a number of stores that showed 52mm being available.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote