Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:49 AM   #91

Another one ... I used a piece of plastic sticked to the LCD ribbon cable to guide it through the tripod mount thread.
Attached Images

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:52 AM   #92

And the last one ... the tools !!!
Attached Images

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:12 AM   #93

I didn't know there are that many problems with the Canon LCD's.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:00 AM   #94

Well, I'm not sure what are the attitudes of the service people in thailand, but in places like Australia, or USA etc, I believe it's very possible to do better than having to throw out a new camera which you paid for. The warranty is expected to cover failures due to defects. That's what a warranty is for. If the faulty camera has absolutely no sign of external damage and was not exposed to extreme heat or cold, then it's up to the manufacturer to sort things out.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:03 PM   #95

I've been reading this forum for quite a while and its been helping me alot.
But unlike other people... I did drop mine and my LCD screen broke.
And right now I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to fix up my screen.
I can take pictures normally... I've even hooked it onto the chord and uploaded it onto my computer. It's just my screen. I called Canon today and they said I could send it in for the repairs... but it does seem pretty costly... And i've been reading that people have fixed it on its own... and they make it sound pretty easy... should i try that? Is there anyway i can take it into frys or anything for them to fix it? Because sending it all the way to IL from CA seems pretty far... I'm so confused right now...

-Sara
sara_seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:51 AM   #96

sara_seto ... I'd only recommend that you try to fix it yourself if you're skilled with taking gadgets apart and putting them together again. Preferably best if you're into electronics as well....and simply just used to being delicate and careful, and also methodical. Otherwise it might be easy to damage something permanently in the process of taking the camera apart, or to forget which screw goes where etc.

If I were to try go through the repair myself, I'd do what some of the people have recommended....to be real careful and to document everything as you go...like write down which screw should go where. For me, I normally use a second digital camera if available, so that I can take a photo of the screw as it is coming out of the slot, and other photos that allow me to identify the orientation of the internal parts of the camera so that you can always put everything back together again without worrying about how the parts should be orientated etc.....and which wires should go where...etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:06 AM   #97

was really interested to buy this line of cameras from canon but after reading this thread, im having my doubts already. just wanna ask, is there anyone out there who does not have this lcd cracking problem?!? anyone who actually thinks this camera is a worthy buy?

is this this lcd problem prevalent among all the sd series cameras?!? i see a lot of complaints from sd200 and sd300 users but not much from sd400 users. does that mean its safer to buy an sd400??

im planning to upgrade from an pentax optioS and having great experiences with my ixus before was really thinking of getting a canon again. this line really caught my eye...
tjortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:28 AM   #98

Hey i need help guys. My lcd screen broke so i followed the walkthrough to fix it. I did everything by the 'book' but now it won't power on. The camera was powering on before i attempted to fix it. I replaced with different batteries but still no luck. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

After the switch, i noticed that some of the flat head screw drivers i used to prying are *slightly* magnetized. Would that have caused a short circuit (I rarely used the flat head though...)
mschop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:48 AM   #99

That shouldnt be the problem. The only thing I can think of is that you somehow damaged a track on the PC board.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:19 PM   #100

ok...now I am freaked out. I have been looking at digi cams for approx. 6 months now and I finally pulled the trigger on Saturday and bought the SD300 with an extra battery, carrying case and a 512mb SD card. $550 (CAN) later I was a happy camper with my shiney new camera....well dontI find this thread on Steve's site and my heart dropped. :sad: I thought I had done my research and decided on a this camera,which has gotten good reviews all over the web, except for this issue which I just found out about. It has worked well since I bought it, but ever since I read this last night, everytime I pull it out of the case I look for a crack. Now I'm PARANOID! What do I do? I have a 14 day satisfaction guarantee from the store I bought it from here in Canada (Future Shop). Should I take my chances or go tomorrow and exchange it for a A510 or A520 for more piece of mind? What are the odds of mine cracking like everyone elses? 1 in 3, 1 in 5, 1 in 10 or 1 in 100? Who knows?

If I had any hair left on my head I would be pulling it out right now not knowing what to do. Can someone help give me that extra insurance that everything will be fine or maybe give me that extra push to go back to the store and exchange for piece of mind.

Help is appreciated

jandread is offline   Reply With Quote