Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:28 PM   #101

While shooting the ironman in Wisconson I took my SD500 out of its HARD PADDED CASE and saw the same diplay you saw. Called Canon who said I cracked it. Lets see what they do.* THE D500 has been so great and small I hate not having it.
cflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:51 AM   #102

I don't see what the real problem is.

Go to www.daproducts.com and then order the 'da Oly protector which fits the 2" IXUS screen perfectly fine.

That's what i did for my IXUS 700 (SD500) and i live in Australia so i was suprised that it arrived at my place in under a week!

It's great and now i don't have a thing in the world to worry about when i take this camera out - and it only adds 2mm to the camera thickness as well!

Now there's absolutely no chance my LCD will break or even stratch because of the perspex screen cover. I think the only way it will break is if i take it below -30 degrees (celcius) and then quickly heat it up again :blah:.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:58 AM   #103

kimnkk wrote:
Quote:
I don't see what the real problem is.

*snipped*

Now there's absolutely no chance my LCD will break or even stratch because of the perspex screen cover. I think the only way it will break is if i take it below -30 degrees (celcius) and then quickly heat it up again :blah:.
It's hard to say how the LCD gets the dreaded purple blob. But there are reports of SD*** cameras getting the blobs independent of shock effects...like impact, temperature etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:08 AM   #104

Canon replaced my LCD at no charge.
I purchased the protective cover from Da Products and hope it
solves the problem.
Probaby should have returned the camera as I have no confidence in its reliability.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:24 AM   #105

Hi all - I am new to the site and registered just to add my sad tale to the long list. I hope someone can copy all of this and send it to canon. I've had my sd400 for almost 1 year and am really upset to see the lcd cracked, and no physical damage to the camera. no clue why (temp, etc) but it was not dropped and i'll begin the customer service fight this week.

if they are not helpful, i will certainly badmouth this camera to everyone i know- i may as well since just seeing my camera has inspired others o buy it.
lilianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:25 AM   #106

one question - how did you convince them to replace the lcd at no charge?!
lilianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:30 AM   #107

My SD 500 was about 90 days young . My letter to them explained my previous excellent experience with Canon
products and my surprise when tihis product failed in such a short time.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:59 AM   #108

What is the exact part number on the LCD replacement for SD300?
Is it the same part number as the SD200 or SD400 LCD screen or any SD?
esoterikest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:05 PM   #109

I have an SD400 that I have loved. I went up north this week where it was snowing and the temperature was in the 'teens. The camera stayed in my bag most of the weekend, until I pulled it out to show someone some of my pictures and the screen was cracked. It does not havesuch apronounced purplish blobmentioned so I honestly don't know if it is my fault or similar to some of the spontaneous problems as described. For anyone who has had this problem, do the cracks seem to be get worse every day? When I first pulled it out I could not even tell until I turned it on and it did not work. Now the cracks are very visible even when the power is off. Just trying to figure out if this was my fault or one of these strange problems. Thanks for any input.
DMBFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:44 PM   #110

I just bought a SD550 for my wife's Christmas present. Should I be worried about the cracked screen problem?

Thanks, Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote