Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:09 AM   #111

My SD300 woke up the other day to the same purple blob/cracked LCD disease. I bought my camerainNovember '04 at Best Buy and up until this week, it had worked flawlessly.

I live in San Antonio, TX where it was 92 degrees F on Thanksgiving Day, so perhaps I got by this long with no problems due to livingin a warmer climate. BUT, last week, I was in Washington DC, where it snowed twice (and of course, me being a native San Antonian who last saw measurable snow in my hometown in 1985, I went out with a friend to go play in it. Of course I snapped pictures).

I got home to SA on Saturday night and went to show some friends a few pictures and that was when I discovered the cracked LCD.

What I find suspicious with my LCD damage is that the apex of the crack is at the upper left hand corner (think 11 o'clock position). I take this to mean that if something did in fact crush it at that location, there would be collateral damage to the frame around the screen in that vicinity. Of course there is none. The camera has never been dropped, squeezed, or otherwise abused. Further, despite over thousand of pictures taken and hours of video shot, the camera still looks pretty damn new.

Like a previous poster, I too have the Best Buy extended protection policy (I initially bought the camera to take along on my many bicycle tours since it conveniently fits in my jersey pocket) but the policy with all its exclusions, turns out to bepretty worthless. My local Best Buy confirmed this earlier this evening as they denied responsibility.

I originally chalked up the LCD breakage to damage sustained in airline transit (the camera was in a soft case packed between sweaters and other bulky cold weather clothing). But after reading this thread, its pretty obvious what really happened.

Fortunately, I'm an electronics gadget freak so I actually look forward to opening up my camera to replace the LCD screen because, well, what have I got to lose? Even if Canon waives labor, I'm still looking at $70 parts. And even if Canon fesses up to a product defect, it'll be weeks before I get it back and well, Christmas is right around the corner.

One thing is certain though, I won't be giving any Canon products as gifts to any friends or family this holiday season.

Signed,

Another "Me Too"
GELongoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:41 PM   #112

Brief update on my camera.

I just called to order the replacement LCD screen at Canon's parts department (732-521-7230). The lady that took my call was very nice and helpful. When I told her the LCD just seemed to crack overnight and I needed a new one, she sounded puzzled when I told her it couldn't be repaired under warranty. "Why, is it over a year old?" she asked. Hmmm, sounds like she thought it should have been a warranty repair. But my camera is over a year old. While I could try to give Best Buy hell to honor their extended warranty, the part only cost $52 (seems the cost is coming down). I opted for 2nd day Fed-Ex shipping so the order still came out to just under $70 after taxes and all. But I should have the part here by week's end.

All in all, it took less than 4 minutesfrom dialing to hanging up to order the part. If only their warranty folks were that efficient.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:46 PM   #113

Final update:

Part arrived this afternoon and was waiting for me when I got home. I printed out the tutorial previously mentioned and bammo, less than 20 minutes later, repair complete and camera is working normally again.

The only snag I hit was I accidentally unplugged the ribbon cable for the whitescreen backlight. It was easy enough to reconnect into its socket (as its similar in design to the lcd ribbon socket). The reason for the mishap was one of the opaque film pieces that goes between the backlight and the lcd screen slipped out so as I was readjusting it, I ended up unplugging the backlight cable. So if you are contemplating a repair yourself, do watch out for that.

BIG Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum. The hint about using a piece of paper (I used scotch tape folded onto itself) to guide the LCD ribbon cable through the tripod mount was genius.

Overall, this was a fairly simpleprocessand all is right in the universe again.

-George in San Antonio, TX
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:58 PM   #114

Has anyone who's replaced their screen continued to experience cracking problems? Just wondering if either Canon has improved the replacement part, or if in replacing the screen, perhaps a natural and very slight repositioning occured that relieved a stress point.
webwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:59 AM   #115

Hey everyone. It was my birthday on the 26th and I was actually planning on getting a PowerShot SD400 or 450. My sister has an SD250 and she hasn't had any problems whatsoever with her camera (she's in the Bahamas now so we'll have to see the camera's condition once she comes back). Anyways, does anyone know if Canon fixed the broken screen problem so that cameras bought in 2006 will function properly? Thanks
esharifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:17 PM   #116

I have an SD400, same story as everyone else here. I had the camera for 28 days before it broke. I had the camera in a soft padded case, in my front pocket. I took it out, took some shots... put it back... took it out20 min later... cracked LCD. No external marks on the camera whatsoever. The screen has the purple blobsradiating from the 3 o'clock position just like the above poster.
atek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:53 PM   #117

I bought my SD450 about a month ago, after cracking my SD200 LCD (I dropped it, so it really was my fault). However, the SD450 had the "spontaneous cracking" problem I have seen all over this forum. ): From the warranty coverage reporting of the other posters, I decided to just bite the unjust bullet and buy a replacement from Canon.

I followed the previous poster's link to replacing the LCD... IT WORKED PERFECTLY FOR THE SD450 AS WELL... so obviously this is not a problem that has been addressed by Canon or that is going away *grumble*. It was fairly straightforward to replace the part, which was somewhat of a relief.

Also, get this.... the larger 2" LCD for the SD450 is cheaper than the SD200/300 1.5" LCD. (only $42, compared to $66, and if you complain you might get free shipping like I did. This maybe why the SD450 is somewhat of a dissapointment in the grainyness and overall sub-par LCD. Anyways, I just wanted to report that the directions here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jo262/...0_ixus-30.html
do work for the SD400/500/450/550 line.

The only difference I saw, was that the sd450/550's tripod stand mount is indeed removable, and makes it a bit easier. Also, don't forget to match up the camera/video mode selector with the notch its actually moving on the interior. Also, as long as you are careful, I don't see any way that this could void your warranty, because there were no stickers or the like to detect the repair. So, the warranty for the rest of the camera should be fine.

Seeing that it was $40 for the repair, I wasn't super pissed, but annoyed non the less. I'm looking into getting a better case and screen protector *argh* Cheers, Feel free to email me to ask for tips if you are in the same boat. fin.
hallocharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:52 PM   #118

I bought a Canon SD300 about a year ago before I spent a tour in Iraq. It worked excellent and I was very happy with it. It survived quite a bit it a pretty unforgiving environment. Even bouncing around in my cargo pocked. In November back here in MN I left my fully functional camera in the glove box of my pickup...took it out the very next morning and turned it on. To my surprise the screen glowed white with a nice purple blob in the corner.

Naturally I took it back to Best Buy thinking it would be covered under the service plan I purchased with the camera...I was wrong. They want $210 to replace the LCD screen. Of course I didn't try to say I didn't drop it or misused it, I wouldn't believe someone who said thateither if I was the service Tech at Best Buy. I got the camera back from them without having the service work done, got some quotes online and most camera repair shops only want $100 to do the repair.

Thank God I'm not the only one that this has happened to, I got a lot of crazy looks from various service people. Don't get my wrong, I love the camera...there just should be a recall for the LCD. I for one am going to send a formal complaint to Canon...hopefully it will make a difference.
SgtSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:33 PM   #119

I called Canon today, and they said, "tough luck, you probably dropped or pressed on the screen". I said"I can't wait until you pricks get sued." Spent $70 on a new LCD and learned not to buy from canon again.

atek3
atek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:00 PM   #120

Just to report, I have a SD550 which has suffered a "spontaneous" cracked screen. So, it doesn't seem as though Canon has fixed this issue with the new versions. I only purchased the camera because I thought these new models had reinforced screens, but that clearly isn't the case.

I'm going to order the replacement screen and do it myself and get a da protector right away so this doesn't happen again.

To all those that are thinking about the SD line, the camera's picture and video quality is great but I would stay clear for now...at least until this problem is confirmed to be fixed.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote