Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:24 PM   #121

Just wanted to let you guys know I ordered the replacement LCD for the SD550 today and the cost was only $40.24. It doesn't change the fact that Canon really needs to acknowledge this problem, but at least they aren't gauging us for the replacement.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:36 PM   #122

I just wanted to let you guys know I successfully replaced the lcd on my sd550. It arrived in 2 days and again was only $40.

Once you pop off the outer screws and pry apart the case it becomes very clear what you need to do. But, here are a couple of differences from what others have posted and what the linked instructions say for the SD300.

1. There is no need to guide the ribbon through the tripod mount as it is routed near the top of the camera.

2. You need to remove the d-pad to gain access to the ribbon socket (2 small screws)

3. The ribbon socket itself has a hinged clip on it. You must first open the clip (pull up), then slide in the ribbon, and then close securely. You will not be able to seat the ribbon unless you open this up.

4. CLEAN the underside of the lcd with a eye glass cloth BEFORE you reattach it to the backlight.

That's all there is to it. It took about 10 minutes to complete the entire process. Again, it's really easy. So save your cash and do it yourself. I could've purchased 4 lcd screens for the price Canon wants to do it. Plus I would've been camera-less for at least 7-14 days.

Good luck!
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:33 AM   #123

People say the just break over night how is a protective cover going to help? It almost sounds like the frame or somthing is not level and the glass just sags and then cracks because there is no support. Bigger screens, smaller cameras, thinner glass.

Now that you guys know how to do it you can buy em all up on e-bay broken, fix em then resell em to pay for the cost you had to pay to fix your own.

Pay $50. for a broken camera, pay $40. for a new LCD thats a kickass $90. gift. Just make sure they dont take any pictures of me with it. :blah:
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:03 AM   #124

People who asked if this happens to sd300 more often than the others, i believe it happpens just as often with any other SD series. I dont know why canon's SD series has this defect, but I am HIGHLY disapointed that Canon does not do anything about this.

They have lost my service.

I was going to buy an SD series camera for my gf.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:02 PM   #125

I got my new LCD screen and followed the instructions to fix my SD400... it was a bit tricky (i'm not hugely mechanically inclined). It took me about 30 min from start to finish, now i've got a fully functional SD400. I wrote about it here.

thanks,

atek3
atek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:41 PM   #126

Hello,

I'm a new SD500 owner who has not experienced the dreaded "cracked LCD" problem -- then again, I have not yet taken it out of the Canon box (yes, it'sreally new!)

It's probably wise for me to anticipate having to deal with this situation once I really start using my digicam, as many of you have already done, by reading your posts and learning much from it. Thanks you all for contributing your wisdom! I think I'll be able to handle a repair if or when the time comes.

As I said, I read all of your posts, as well as many other posts on other user forums, but never have I seen mention of someone having a second failure once they repaired their own LCD screen.

Can this be true? Has anyone had a second failure (or worse)???

I have a silly theory here, and it's all predicated in my not remembering any mentions of secondary failures -- is it possible that the way the LCDs are installed in the factory (maybe using power screwdrivers, etc) have something to do with creating some stresses that remain latent until it's in our hands. And that once we (meaning home repairers) fix our digicams, maybe we don't put as much pressure or torque on the components, thus preventing the stress that later leads to failure.

It's just a thought...

But if that was true, would there possibly be some benefit to taking a brand-new SD series digicam apart, as if performing a repair, just to reinstall it to "home" specs? The hypothesis being that marginal parts installed very tightly to factory specs are more prone to fail than marginal parts "remanufactured" in a home setting.

If that was true, then, it might be worthwhile to mitigate the problem by fixing them before they break by the "take it apart and put it back together" method.

Any thoughts? Sounds a little crazy to even me, but crazy times sometimes deserve crazy solutions.

Larry (in Maryland)
bluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:51 AM   #127

larry, just install "da oly protector" it's a sheet of plexiglas that protects the screen. Then pray.

atek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:19 AM   #128

Before I start, just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to everyone who has posted on this topic so far. Your questions and answers helped me decide to try to fix my camera.

Moving forward, I bought a Canon PowerShot SD400 less than a month ago. Unlike those with mysteriously cracking LCDs, I actually cracked mine myself while lifting an amplifer up a set of stairs with the camera in my pocket. (Real Smart!) Since then I've been kind of down, trying to figure out whether or not to get it repaired, attempt to repair it myself or live without the LCD display. After reading this forum, I am convinced that I am capable of fixing it myself, although I'm still confused on the exact part numberfor the SD400. If someone knows the exact part number for the "Canon PowerShot SD400" that would help my confusion.

Iread multiplepost withinthisthread referencing a site that walks you through the fix it process, but even there it questions whether the part number "ck9-1103"is a universal LCD replacement for the SD400 and others. Please advise if you have repaired or have knowledge of the SD400's LCD screen part number. Thanks.

Also forthose attempting to fixyour LCD yourself, check out this site, it has PICTURES:

http://www.smashedhat.com/sd300repair/

Finally, here's the last picture I took before I broke my camera. Its Joe Rogan before the Fight trying to look tough.
Attached Images

konsept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:50 AM   #129

Hi!
Great information in this thread, I just delurked to tell my Canon SD200 (Ixus 30) story. I bought it last year in march, after just over a month I got the dreaded E18 error and had to send the camera away for repair. The repair took seven weeks and I was without my Canon for the entire summer.

Last weekend when I took the camera out of it's case (a case logic similar to the Canon Dcc case) and turned it on the LCD was with with thin interior black cracks. The camera had been in it's case lying on the back seat in my car and I don't think that it has been subjected to any excessive force. A quick Internet search led me here and painted a not so pretty picture for me.

Prior to the SD200 I've had (and still have) a Sony DSC-P31 that's still going on strong with 6k pictures taken over three years, a Kodak DC215 that's almost 8 years and still works. If Canon doesn't fix this to my satisfaction rest assured that I will never buy another Canon P&S (I'm looking into a dslr), I can tell you that my ipod nano screen has experienced far worse force than the SD200 and hasn't cracked.

The really sad part is that I work part time selling consumer electronics and has always recommended the Canon P&S cameras, I don't feel that I can keep on doing that in good faith. I never use my "insider" position to get better service from our partners since I want to gauge what service level our customers get.
htguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:41 PM   #130

This is all extremely horrible. I had an S230 for 2.5 years with NO problems. Then I decided to leave it at a bar and it was never seen again.

So, i bought an SD300 for $314 at Best Buy in May 2005. Then on Thursday (2/16/06) I was out and taking pics. I put my camera down, then 5 min later looked at it and YOU GUESSED IT! The LCD was broken on the inside, and I saw the popular purple cracking scratchy looking stuff. I thought oh well, I will just sent it into Best Buy. Good thing I got that 3 year Best Buy warranty. Well, NO. The warranty does not cover the LCD screen breaking. GO FIGURE!

How can this happen? I read reviews on the SD400 and 500 and they all have this issue? How can they not replace this camera for me when they have soooooooo many customer complaints? There are 7 pages of complaints here, that has to say something. I am so angry!!!!!

Now, my camera is on it's way to being fixed, just so I can get a call saying that they will fix it for $150? That is what am hearing from everyone, and that is waht I am expecting to hear.

I still took a few pics after the camera broke, but i can get a camera like that for $10 at the grocery store!

How can Canon get away with this!!!!!

-VERY ANGRY CANON CUSTOMER
maryannville is offline   Reply With Quote