Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:08 PM   #131

maryannville wrote:
Quote:
This is all extremely horrible. I had an S230 for 2.5 years with NO problems. Then I decided to leave it at a bar and it was never seen again.

So, i bought an SD300 for $314 at Best Buy in May 2005. Then on Thursday (2/16/06) I was out and taking pics. I put my camera down, then 5 min later looked at it and YOU GUESSED IT! The LCD was broken on the inside, and I saw the popular purple cracking scratchy looking stuff. I thought oh well, I will just sent it into Best Buy. Good thing I got that 3 year Best Buy warranty. Well, NO. The warranty does not cover the LCD screen breaking. GO FIGURE!

How can this happen? I read reviews on the SD400 and 500 and they all have this issue? How can they not replace this camera for me when they have soooooooo many customer complaints? There are 7 pages of complaints here, that has to say something. I am so angry!!!!!

Now, my camera is on it's way to being fixed, just so I can get a call saying that they will fix it for $150? That is what am hearing from everyone, and that is waht I am expecting to hear.

I still took a few pics after the camera broke, but i can get a camera like that for $10 at the grocery store!

How can Canon get away with this!!!!!

-VERY ANGRY CANON CUSTOMER
Update from best buy 2/28/06...

"In order to fix your camera it will cost $225. Would you like them to go ahead with the repairs?"

WHAT?!?!?! $225? Are they serious? The camera cost $314 and I paid $60 for the Best Buy Warranty which the salesman told me "If something breaks on the camera we [Best Buy] will fix it, and if we cant fix it then we will replace it"... YEAH RIGHT?

I read the Terms and Conditions on my Best Buy extended 3 years $60 warranty and it states that the warranty covers "the Manufacturer's Warranty and additional items as stated in the Terms and Conditions." Well, these "additional" items are not listed anywhere. The guy told me that best buy would fix it if itbroke. However, Best Buy is now telling me that the damage was not due to normal use? I am sorry but I took very good care of my camera and so did everyone else. If the worse thing I did was put this POCKET CAMERA in my POCKET, and TRAVELED with this TRAVEL SIZED camera, I think that is normal usage. Do you not agree?

I am very irrate and mad. This is ridiculous? Who in their right mind is going to pay $225 (what happened to $150 like everyone else got charged?) when the camera itself was only $314 ($375 including the crappy Best Buy warranty which covered nothing!)... plus tax???????

I am going to go to Best Buy and pretend to be buying a camera and see what the guy says about Best Buy's Excellent Extended Warranty.... i am sure it will be very interesting!!!!!!!! :?
maryannville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:48 PM   #132

This is the first time I saw this thread, and its probably been mentioned before, but I had the same problem with my SD200, and once it was repaired, I got a da'protector for it. Its been in my pocket snowmobiling and I'm sure has had its fair share of minor impacts etc, and nothing has happened.

The only tip I can recommend is to completely use the adhesive strips all around the protector and leave no openings, dust and particles get in there and stay. Looks messy.
BradP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:32 PM   #133

Well, protector or no protector, the crack was on the INSIDE... not the outside?! I don't even know how it broke? I can't believe they think people will pay $220 to fix a $314 camera!!! Where do you get these protector things? do they really protect???
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:42 PM   #134

bluesy wrote:
Quote:
...would there possibly be some benefit to taking a brand-new SD series digicam apart, as if performing a repair, just to reinstall it to "home" specs? The hypothesis being that marginal parts installed very tightly to factory specs are more prone to fail than marginal parts "remanufactured" in a home setting.

If that was true, then, it might be worthwhile to mitigate the problem by fixing them before they break by the "take it apart and put it back together" method.

Any thoughts? Sounds a little crazy to even me, but crazy times sometimes deserve crazy solutions.

Larry (in Maryland)
I just ordered an SD450 and it should arrive in a couple days. Remanufacturing sounds like a good idea, and doesn't look like you'll hurt anything if you're careful.

Judging from the pictures on http://www.smashedhat.com/sd300repair/it looks like the only thing holding the LCD in is the back cover. The cover is screwed in on the sides of the camera, so even if those screws are over-tightened, it wouldn't have much effect on the stress in the LCD.

It's possible that if the LCD isn't seated correctly when the back cover is assembled, that might cause uneven pressure on the LCD and cause it to crack from temperature cycling. I plan to take off the cover, move the LCD around a little, and reassemble. I'm also going to put on a da T1 protector.

I'll be taking the camera along on a ski trip in a couple weeks, so I'll see what happens. I'd also be interested to know if anyone has experienced a screen crack on their replaced LCD.

squirrel100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:29 AM   #135
SLD

Has anybody heard of the LCD failing on the SD450/SD550's? It is a different/larger LCD so maybe the LCD and/or LCD mount has been corrected. I hope.
SLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:26 PM   #136

Well, after buying a Kodak and Samsung camera... both of which sucked, I bought an SD450. I bought an lcd screen cover and i am being extremely carful. I didnt want to buy another canon, but I broke down and bough it because all the other camera I tried out just didn't work right. I'll let you all know what happens to this camera!!! I bought it at Costco, so i am hoping that if it breaks I will be able to return it...

Mary Ann
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:15 AM   #137

My SD300's LCD failed twice. The first under warranty, and was repaired 'free' by Canon. The second a few months after warranty. Both times it was working fine, put away in a cabinet, and failed during next power on. I babied this camera especially after the first incident. It has never been dropped, or bumped or shook. Perhaps temperature changes, or maybe the power on/off cycle is too much for the LCD in its already stressful mount? It is a disgusting display of Canon's arrogance toward their customers to continue refusing to acknowledge this serious, expensive defect.
Den24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:37 AM   #138

Hello, I have the Powershot SD30 and my screen broke as well! Futureshop blaims my handing of the camera and charges $170 canadian to fix. Which is bullshit since I can buy a brand new camera for $290 now. I've only had the camera for 3 months.

After doing some research I found out this is a pretty common problem. I suggest a boycott from buying canon digital camera products since the problem obviously popular amoung canon buyers.

Here are links I've found on the issue:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7...=blog?tag=blog
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...839&page=5
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...;opinion=27357

wassam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:45 AM   #139

I also bought the $80canadian extended warranty at futureshop. BestBuy owns the futureshop chain here in canada.

The salesperson specifically said "this is a small camera that could easily be dropped, it's worth paying the little extra for the peace of mind in case it does break." Well this was relayed to the store manager, and all he could do was offer to fire the salesperson. Ughh.. that does nothing for my camera though, now does it?

For the record, I never dropped this camera!

maryannville wrote:
Quote:
maryannville wrote:
Quote:
This is all extremely horrible. I had an S230 for 2.5 years with NO problems. Then I decided to leave it at a bar and it was never seen again.

So, i bought an SD300 for $314 at Best Buy in May 2005. Then on Thursday (2/16/06) I was out and taking pics. I put my camera down, then 5 min later looked at it and YOU GUESSED IT! The LCD was broken on the inside, and I saw the popular purple cracking scratchy looking stuff. I thought oh well, I will just sent it into Best Buy. Good thing I got that 3 year Best Buy warranty. Well, NO. The warranty does not cover the LCD screen breaking. GO FIGURE!

How can this happen? I read reviews on the SD400 and 500 and they all have this issue? How can they not replace this camera for me when they have soooooooo many customer complaints? There are 7 pages of complaints here, that has to say something. I am so angry!!!!!

Now, my camera is on it's way to being fixed, just so I can get a call saying that they will fix it for $150? That is what am hearing from everyone, and that is waht I am expecting to hear.

I still took a few pics after the camera broke, but i can get a camera like that for $10 at the grocery store!

How can Canon get away with this!!!!!

-VERY ANGRY CANON CUSTOMER
Update from best buy 2/28/06...

"In order to fix your camera it will cost $225. Would you like them to go ahead with the repairs?"

WHAT?!?!?! $225? Are they serious? The camera cost $314 and I paid $60 for the Best Buy Warranty which the salesman told me "If something breaks on the camera we [Best Buy] will fix it, and if we cant fix it then we will replace it"... YEAH RIGHT?

I read the Terms and Conditions on my Best Buy extended 3 years $60 warranty and it states that the warranty covers "the Manufacturer's Warranty and additional items as stated in the Terms and Conditions." Well, these "additional" items are not listed anywhere. The guy told me that best buy would fix it if itbroke. However, Best Buy is now telling me that the damage was not due to normal use? I am sorry but I took very good care of my camera and so did everyone else. If the worse thing I did was put this POCKET CAMERA in my POCKET, and TRAVELED with this TRAVEL SIZED camera, I think that is normal usage. Do you not agree?

I am very irrate and mad. This is ridiculous? Who in their right mind is going to pay $225 (what happened to $150 like everyone else got charged?) when the camera itself was only $314 ($375 including the crappy Best Buy warranty which covered nothing!)... plus tax???????

I am going to go to Best Buy and pretend to be buying a camera and see what the guy says about Best Buy's Excellent Extended Warranty.... i am sure it will be very interesting!!!!!!!! :?
wassam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:57 PM   #140

GELongoria wrote:
Quote:
Final update:

Part arrived this afternoon and was waiting for me when I got home. I printed out the tutorial previously mentioned and bammo, less than 20 minutes later, repair complete and camera is working normally again...

Overall, this was a fairly simpleprocessand all is right in the universe again.

-George in San Antonio, TX
Damn, not four months and I broke my LCD screen again. This time, I at least know it was my fault. While coming back from an epic cycling trip to Ensenada, Baja California, I hung my camera from the carry strap off the seatback in front of me on aGreyhound charter bus so that I could snap any scenic pix we wouldencounter. A bump in the road and the camera swung into a piece of the seatback's hardware. The LCD screen made contact first and that was all she wrote.

Still have two more weeks on my west coast cycling trip so hope to have another LCD screen fed-exed to me in LA or San Francisco. Hope the repair goes as smoothly as the first. This time, I might just have to look into that LCD protective cover too.

-George in San Antonio, TX
GELongoria is offline   Reply With Quote