Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:22 AM   #141

'da Oly from http://www.daproducts.com/

LCD Armor

Best $6 you'll ever spend (+ $2 shipping).

Might be the solution to your problems. It was for me. Perspex(?) armor for an otherwise fragile LCD screen.

I've read one report (one measly report ) in other forums of SD's breaking even with a 'da Oly on their Canon SDs. Probably a fluke or a downright lie.

So far, the 'da Oly seems to be doing a stellar job for most folks who use 'em. Including me.

-Charlie

Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:16 AM   #142

Update on my post on page 7. I just received word that the Canon service center has replaced the LCD on my SD200 under warranty. I wrote a pretty stern letter to the service center letting them know that the camera had under no circumstanse been subject to undue mechanical force.

I hope I can continue to use this camera again, out of the 12 months I have owned it has been in repair for 3.5...

Next P&S will not be a Canon.
htguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:01 PM   #143

Hi there,

My SD550 LCD Screen cracked and I want to know where I could find a replacement for the screen. I read somewhere that they order the part for under 50. Canon is charging 137.64 for the repair. I never had a problem with any of my cameras, which are all from Canon. I think this a problem they should acknowledge since they know that it happening more often. They should have just done what they had before adding a protective so the LCD will not crack.
JR481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:02 PM   #144

Did you say SD550 (Ixus 750)?

The LCD screens of these models were supposedly already reinforced to prevent cracking.
Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:04 PM   #145

LCD cracking screen problem.....

Well, I took a look at the new sd630 and sd700 IS today at Circuit City. I compared them with the older ELPH models like the sd300, sd450 and sd500 and 550. There is a definite physical difference in the way the LCD screen looks. It not only looks different but it looks like it is installed differently. I suspected Canon did this because of all the cracking problems with the LCD screens. While I was there, the Circuit City guy showed me their brand new warranty. It actually covers cracked screens and other breakage. He says they are the only retailer offering this new warranty. On a $500.00 camera, the cost is $100 for 2 years coverage...$150.00 for 4 years coverage.

When I got home, I called the Canon service 1-800 number. I asked specifically about the LCD cracking problems on the older models. He confirmed that Canon finally recognized this problem. The reason the newer LCD screens look different on the SD630 and SD700 IS is because they ARE different! He said Canon fired the old LCD manufacturer and is now using a NEW company to make these LCD's.

I suppose only time and use of the newest ELPH cameras will tell us if this will solve the problems. I know that does not help anyone who already owns the older models. I am watching carefully how the new SD630 and SD700 IS does before I go out and buy one.

Does anyone out there already own one of these two cameras???

Patty

pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:04 PM   #146

LCD cracking screen problem.....

Well, I took a look at the new sd630 and sd700 IS today at Circuit City. I compared them with the older ELPH models like the sd300, sd450 and sd500 and 550. There is a definite physical difference in the way the LCD screen looks. It not only looks different but it looks like it is installed differently. I suspected Canon did this because of all the cracking problems with the LCD screens. While I was there, the Circuit City guy showed me their brand new warranty. It actually covers cracked screens and other breakage. He says they are the only retailer offering this new warranty. On a $500.00 camera, the cost is $100 for 2 years coverage...$150.00 for 4 years coverage.

When I got home, I called the Canon service 1-800 number. I asked specifically about the LCD cracking problems on the older models. He confirmed that Canon finally recognized this problem. The reason the newer LCD screens look different on the SD630 and SD700 IS is because they ARE different! He said Canon fired the old LCD manufacturer and is now using a NEW company to make these LCD's.

I suppose only time and use of the newest ELPH cameras will tell us if this will solve the problems. I know that does not help anyone who already owns the older models. I am watching carefully how the new SD630 and SD700 IS does before I go out and buy one.

Does anyone out there already own one of these two cameras???

Patty

pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:23 PM   #147

Hi - I'm delurking because my 5 month old SD550 fell about 2 inches onto a plastic box and then the LCD cracked. I'm treating this as my fault - hey I dropped it

That said, has somebody got any pointers for me to as to how I should get the thing fixed?

I'd probably enjoy opening the camera up myself but wanted to ask if anybody has some phone number at Canon USA I can call and ask the price of an official repair.

Would I be buying an 'improved' LCD - I'd hate to pay out to buy yet another very fragile LCD??

I'm in Wilmington, Delaware, USA.

Thank You,
Simon
simonwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:26 PM   #148

Old May 8, 2006, 12:23 PM   #149

Simon -

I literally just got off the phone with Canon... I dropped my SD550 about 6 inches onto asphalt yesterday & the LCD screen cracked. The camera still works fine, as I took many pictures after the incident & was able to transfer them / view them, etc.

You can order the replacement LCD from Canon at 732.521.7679. The part number is CK9-1177 & the cost is $40.79 + $6.00 shipping. Alternately, you can call their service department at 630.250.6500 to get an estimate for them to do the repair for you (they quoted me $119 as a best-case ballpark estimate). I'm going to bring it to a local camera shop for an estimate tonight and then make a final decision tomorrow

To be honest, while I'm disappointed the LCD cracked so easily - I'm pleasantly surprised that I have a few options that are signifcantly cheaper than buying a brand new camera.

Good Luck!

Ken
rumorsofsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 12:36 PM   #150

Thank you so much Ken - I'll call that Canon number today and order that LCD part.

I'm going out to find a rugged case for this camera ASAP!

Cheers,
Simon