Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 16, 2006, 10:04 PM   #151

I just attempted to repair my broken LCD on the SD550 - but, came up short. I attempted to follow the instructions listed on this site (and others), but while the new LCD is in place - when I turn the camera on, it simply comes up white - no menus or images. This is actually the same thing I saw with the cracked LCD - light would come through (although the glass was cracked), but no images.

The only thing I could have done wrong on the installation was around the ribbon cable attached to the LCD. I situated it exactly like the old one - but, it doesn't really snap into place or click into any sort of connector. Is there some connection I missed here?

Any suggestions - or is it time to cut my losses and bring it in for a repair?

Thanks,

Ken
rumorsofsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 11:18 PM   #152

Back to my SD550 woes - I've got it working! http://fivepoundsflax.blogspot.com/2...cd-repair.htmlwas very helpful for the last little bit.

In my case, the problem was that in addition to my LCD being cracked, my LCD ribbon cable was disconnected. This is why I saw white light instead of an image - and it's why it was hard for me to tell where the LCD ribbon should go... since mine was not connected & the socket where it needs to go is hiden by the metal harness for the control buttons.

Once you remove the two screws holding in the metal harness for the control buttons,lift it away to reveal the socket into which the LCD cable goes. You then have to get the ribbon cable lined up properly and push utnil the socket snaps up. Once it snaps up, push it back down to lock the ribbon in place, push down the hinged tab & put it all back together again!

Ken
rumorsofsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 4:19 PM   #153

I bought the daproducts protector for my SD400, but the lcd still broke. I handled and stored the camera like a new-born baby.
Argo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 4:39 PM   #154

Would you mind explaining how this happened?

Was it in a jeans' back pocket or some place full of loose change/keys?

Or was the camera dropped from a significant height onto a hard floor?

Argo84 wrote:
Quote:
I bought the daproducts protector for my SD400, but the lcd still broke. I handled and stored the camera like a new-born baby.
Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 12:17 PM   #155

I haven't a clue as to how the screen cracked. I never ever carried the camera in a pocket or subjected it to any rough handling. Nothing ever contacted the screen because I had the protector installed from the first day I owned the camera (Sept 2005). I find an ultra compact camera almost indespensible, but haven't decided whether to replace the screen (and have the same thing happen again) or buy a new camera. I've been investigating a sub compact Panasonic, but am not sure I want a camera without an optical view finder.*
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:17 PM   #156

My SD300 actually got dropped about 2 feet and put a minor scratch on the top of the camera. The LCD turned totally purple, but I could see what I was shooting. So I tried to tap the side alittle bit thinking something came loose, and the screen turned to a lite grey. Finally I got the camera to go back to purple and left it at that. My warrenty is out about 5 months so no go on that. I know that my back light is not broken because the screen would be out. So I ordered up a new LCD and I hope that it will be the problem. I am tonight, however going to open the camera and see if the LCD or something came loose.
bpittam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:31 PM   #157

Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us what you paid for the replacement LCD?

Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:35 PM   #158

$62 from Canon

And it was a wasted $$$$ because the screen is still grey. I said f*** it and I got a new camera on ebay for my wife.
bpittam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:20 PM   #159

Good news for a change. I got an email from Canon yesterday telling me that they are going to fix the cracked LCD under warranty unless they open it up and find anything that voids the warranty such as water damage, dropping, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:47 PM   #160

Really a horrible product. My LCD cracked the first day!! I had it in my pocket one day, and the very same day I noticed it was cracked. Canon released faulty LCD screens that they know break under normal circumstances and charge over 50% of the camera to fix it. Calling Canon customer service is just a head-ache. They deny the LCD is a common issue. They told me I was the first person to file a complaint about it. I highly doubt that. Please stay away from this camera.
Attached Images

mjavor is offline   Reply With Quote