Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:04 PM   #161

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I got lucky. They've fixed the cracked LCD on my SD400 at no charge and have Fedexed it back to me. It should be back home by tomorrow.
Argo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:20 PM   #162

Which Canon model do you have...I can't tell from the picture. Thanks!
pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:03 AM   #163

Damn! I wish I had found this forum or had read something about the cracking LCD screens before winning the eBay auction for the SD300 last week. Got it for a reasonable price but now after reading about all the problems. Hmm... Then found out about and ordered a*'da Oly Protector after reading it was the solution. Camera and protector screen should arrive about the same time this next week. Was hoping it would provide the necessary protection but now read of a couple of failures even with the da Products protection. Let me*reiterate - Damn!
Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:04 AM   #164

I was thinking about those reports of "failures" even with a 'da Protector on. Maybe the owner dropped the digicam on hard pavement or something like that. No protector is probably going to save a camera if its droped 2 meters or more on asphalt.

If you do drop your camera and the LCD doesn't crack, then something sure as heck will get broken (E18 error anyone?).

Me, I've had this 'da Protector on my SD400 for half a year now. So far, so good. I carry it EVERYDAY on my belt in a Tamrac 5204 pouch. The bezel around the lens is starting to discolor but aside from that nothing's wrong with it.

Now if you want the ultimate in LCD protection, check this out:
http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/

Their Universal/Point & Shoot protector for 2" LCDs should fit your cam.

Found out about it fairly recently. It's like a 'da Protector with a sun shield. The sun shield could also act as an ADDITIONAL impact protector.

This is probably the highest level of protection one could get for an Canon SD camera. Unless there's a kevlar or Chobham armor protector I haven't heard about

-Charlie
Harrington wrote:
Quote:
Damn! I wish I had found this forum or had read something about the cracking LCD screens before winning the eBay auction for the SD300 last week. Got it for a reasonable price but now after reading about all the problems. Hmm... Then found out about and ordered a�'da Oly Protector after reading it was the solution. Camera and protector screen should arrive about the same time this next week. Was hoping it would provide the necessary protection but now read of a couple of failures even with the da Products protection. Let me�reiterate - Damn!
Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:38 PM   #165

Well my Ixus 30 that has suffered from E18, Cracked LCD (that got replaced under the 12m warranty) has failed again! When I took out the camera from the camera bag (Caselogic DC 12) and turned it on I was once again greeted by the White Screen of Death. As I might have mentioned in my earlier reply in this thread I decided to install the screen protector recommended in this thread.

I'm pretty sure that the camera wasn't subject to any impact in the car, however it might have gotten hot in the car since it was a sunny day but I don't think that should matter since I've had other cameras with me in desert. My Sony DSC-P31 is still thriving though, going on almost six year and 6k pictures taken.

I once again have to go on extended vacation without my pocket camera (third time this time around), it really sucks.

I've sent it in for repair, since less than 90-days had passed since the last repair I was covered by a service guarantee, let's just hope they fix it and it'll keep this time.
htguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:11 PM   #166

Camera is on the way back from repair, the LCD has been replaced once again, it will be interesting to see if they say anything about how it broke this time (since I had a Da'oly properly installed on it).
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:19 AM   #167

I bought a Canon PowerShot Elph SD500 and an SD300 for my nephew and his wife for birthday and wedding presents about a year ago. I read about the SD 400's LCD cracking problems and steered clear of that model.

Later, I bought a Canon SD550 for myself and I have really enjoyed the quality of the photos and the video capabilities. Then last Tuesday, I had a shock. I took the camera to lunch in my pants pocket in a protective case, but did not find anything to photograph. So I returned the camera to my (padded) briefcase upon returning to work. I did not bump anything or otherwise physically strike the camera to my knowledge.

After work, I tried to show a photo to a friend and the LCD was ruined. It was white with a large sideways black and purple "Y" on it. I was heartbroken.:?

I called the Canon 800 number and the rep said to send it in and the repair facility would determine whether the damage was from impact, pressure or other abuse. If so, the warrant will not cover it. Even so, they will put in a new LCD for $119.

The SD550 is still selling for almost $300, so I'm going to mail my camera tomorrow and see how the repair and warranty are handled. I was told it would be back in 2-3 weeks.

I just ordered the hard plastic cover called 'da Protector to see how that works. I'll post results of the repair, whether it was covered under warranty, and my thoughts on 'da Protector later.

Photo of the damaged Canon LCD is attached.

===========================

FOLLOW UP - AUGUST 2, 2006

============================

I mailed in my Canon SD550 on July 14 and, on July 25, I received an e-mail "accepting" it for repair at no cost.

The notice said that if they found damage from chemicals, sand or impact, they reserved the right to charge me for the repair.

Then on July 26th, I received an e-mail saying that the repairs were done and my repaired camera was being returned with the repairs made without any charge. :?

I got the camera yesterday and it looks great and works fine. The Repair Warranty notice at the bottom of the pages said, "The problem necessitating this repair is not covered by the limited warranty for your product. Accordingly, this repair is being provided to you as a courtesy only, "as is"and without warranties of any kind..."

I don't know why they fixed my camera despite their assessment that it was pressure / impact damage, but I am very pleased with this result. I hope some of the other Canon customers of these excellent pocket size camera with the delicate LCD screens have similar good treatment by Canon.

While it will not prevent impact damage from dropping the camera, I am installing a 'da Protector LCD cover to reduce the possibility of pressure damage and scratching to the LCD screen.

Attached Images

tejano64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:48 AM   #168

My SD400 was repaired under warranty and sent back to me in less than 2 weeks. My impression is that the cracking LCD screen issue wasn't fixed until the SD600 or SD630. Its a shame that this happens with cameras that are otherwise top drawer.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:08 AM   #169

I guess I will have to order a new Da'Oly and hope for the best. If it breaks again (before 24m has passed) they are obligated to give me a refund for the original purchase price.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:46 AM   #170

I would definitely order the protector although my LCD cracked even with one.