Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:27 PM   #11

Canon SD300 LCD cracked and I don't know why? Not sure if it was because it was cold out or what. Had the S400 and never had a problem. Sent the SD300 back to Canon and I am sure they are going to tell me I have to pay for it out of my own pocket. The LCD was white with a purple blob on it and I couldn't view anything on the screen. anyone else having problems with the SD300 ??? :sad:
Healthiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:41 PM   #12

lafester wrote:
Quote:
i took my sd300 out of the case yesterday and when i turned it on the lcd was black!

so all i know is it was pretty cold the night before, but the camera was only used for a couple shots outside. otherwise the outer screen is not damaged and the camera was not dropped or abused. there is a crack all the way across the inner lcdscreen.if the screen is that touchy to weather this may not be a very good camera after all...

any thoughts?

chris
I think the cold weather cracked my LCD too.. is that possible ??? I live in New Jersey not Alaska?:sad:
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:02 PM   #13

We must have all experienced the same problem. Went out onSaturday nite andsnapped some video and pictures. Walked home in the cold (Toronto) weather. Tried to turn the camera on the next morning to show everyone the pics at the SuperBowl party and got the white screen with purple fractal looking blob.

The SD300 screen must be really sensitive to cold. I owned the S400 and would take it all over the work site to take pictures in subzero weather without any problems whatsoever.

Common Canon, we expect better than this! I bought my camera from BestBuy in the US but I think I will try to take it to the local Canon service center and see what they can do for me.

Any other advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
prophit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:23 PM   #14

could someone give me the link as to where to buy a replacement lcd screen for the sd300? thanks!
m0chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:10 PM   #15

I just looked up some ixus40/sd300 specs at the link below, and it says that the minimum operating temperature for the camera is 0 degrees celcius. Probably better not use this camera in snow or freezing conditions.

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...s40_specs.html

But having said that, I've taken my nikon 950 out in the cold on a number of occasions in freezing temps, and got good pics from it. However, soon after one trip, I suddenly noticed a big green hot pixel on the screen that won't go away, and it actually appears in my photos. I have no idea whether the cold did this, but I reckon that if we really want to look after our gear, then probably best to use it within the operating range given by the manufacturer...even though their range could be a on the conservative side.

Anyhow..after the hotpixel problem with the 950, there's no way I'm going to use my canon G6 in freezing temperatures. I mean...I'll take pics in the snow, but only if the ambient temperature is above 0 celcisus.

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:05 PM   #16

I received my SD300 by FedEx on the evening of Feb 17 here in California. Everything was fine for most of the first day of test shots. The next afternoon I found the LCD cracked. It was never dropped, or subjected to temperature extremes.
kinetix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:42 PM   #17

Interesting kinetix....what kind of crack was it? Was the outter plastic of the screen cracked? Or you mean you saw some kind of line running through the display in the liquid crystal region? And what did you do after this incident?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:51 AM   #18

:sad:I just got my camera back from Canon. They said the internal crack was from being crushed, which is bullshit. I am carefull as can be with my camera. I am sure it was the cold weather that cracked it. Anyway it is $165 to have them repair it, but for some odd reason they waived the fee saying "well you are new customer". I read that to be, we realize this camera has a major problem with the LCD's cracking.....
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:53 AM   #19

i had the same exact problem... i actually had to send my camera to Canon to be repaired. this is what my screen looked like after the spontanous crack http://www.pbase.com/healthiest/image/39437103. . .
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:50 AM   #20

What are those dark leaf-like shapes on your LCD aside from that purple blob?