Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:12 AM   #21

that is actually part of the purple blob just a different shade....
Healthiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:49 PM   #22

There is obviously a problem with this Canon model, cause the same thing happened to me. I also have been very careful with my camera. I bought it online, and Canon said that I would have to pay $160 to repair it. What did you guys do?
bishtelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:49 AM   #23

I'm curious also. All the consumer reviews on other sites I've read for the last year say they had to pay $168 to fix and not under warranty even though new. How do I get mine fixed for free? Is Canon finally changing their tune since this problem is widespread and has a major problem withtemp changes. To fix it and have it happen again would be fruitless. Canon should redesign the camera and give us a credit for the new one. Plus I thought the other way was to fix it myself. I do consider my self mechanical but I don't want to screw it up more. Anyone have good instructions on the repair? The price from canon for the LCD was $65. Where do I get it for $55?
Chas8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:04 PM   #24

good luck trying to fix it yourself.. i read a few bad posts about people who tried to change the screen on their own without success. Canon is not taking responsibility for the cracked screens, saying that it is user error... Specifically calling it crush damage or something like that. I feel that my screen cracked because of the cold weather. . . either way I am not happy. .
Healthiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:04 AM   #25

Replacing the screen yourself only costs about 65$ / 33 GBP. I succesfully replaced the cracked / broken lcd screen on my camera sd300. Here's a web page I created to help people to replace their screens:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jo262/...0_ixus-30.html

Perform at your own risk, of course. Also, I'm almost positive that this operation will void your warrenty!
andyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:01 PM   #26

I just got done replacing the LCD screen on my uncles SD300 camera using the instruction provided by this kind gentleman:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jo262/...0_ixus-30.html

I also took some pics of the process. If anyone would like to see them, email me at mannyz at pacbell.net The written guide worked great but I think it's nice to see some pics as well to know what you're getting into. You need to have good eyesight as this is very intricate work One tip I would like to add is if you fold a piece of scotch tape in half (with a lil sticky left at the end) you can feed it through the crack first and use it to pull the LCD cable through behind it.
MannyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:07 AM   #27

I read all the thread and it was really interesting what you experienced.

I was thinking of buying a SD300 but now i have concerns. I checked the operating temperature of it on steves review and it says 0-40 degrees C. It is surprising that the Canon A95 also has the same range. But i haven't heard any A95 users complaining about their lcd crack.:?Looks like there is some problem specific to SD300.
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:46 PM   #28

I bought a sd 200 at Best Buy. Took one photo, the next day the LCD was cracked. In warm Florida.

I shipped the camera for repair, got the $165 estimate. Now, how can I get them to agree to waive the fee??

This must be a design defect. Canon should be ashamed. Not because there's a defect. After all, they're pushing the limits for our benefit. And anyone can make a mistake. Canon should be ashamed because they leave customers twisting in the wind.
JohnMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:14 PM   #29

My comments were posted near the beginning of this thread... and here are my results:

I took my Camera to Canon repair centre and they gave me a $220Cdn estimate which probably equates to the $165USD everyone else gets. They also gave me the same bogus excuse about the camera being crushed (which was just nonsense). After being very kind to the nice repair rep I was able to plead my case and have them waive the labor fees, so i was only charged for the part $70.

On a separate note, my father dropped my old Canon S400 and the optical zoom was cracked. I was able to put it back together with some minor scuffs and only one of the lense protecting eyelid pieces missing. Canon gave me the generic $220 to replace the simple little piece. Other quotes came in at about $100. In the end the same nice girl gave me the part for less than $1 and everything is working fine.

Canon really needs to rectify this situation, but for now my advice is tovisit therepair people in person, be pleasant with them (since they don't make the company protocols), and see how much they can help you.
prophit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:31 PM   #30

I was waivering between the SD300 and, of course, the Pentax Optio S5i. Hello Pentax!

Canon should be ashamed of how they're handling (or refusing to) this issue. I can't even BEGIN to imagine how irate I would be if this happened to me.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote