Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 10, 2005, 12:03 PM   #31

I just got back from Puerto Rico and guess what...my brand new Canon SD300 has a cracked screen. I just got off the phone with Canon; they said I must have dropped the camera. Well I told them that I wanted to order a new screen. They then told me that the screen is on backorder until June sometime. So I now have a busted camera that cannot be used until at least July sometime. What a piece of crap. How can Canon not have a problem with the SD300 if the part is on backorder for at least 4-6 weeks?
rideabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:23 PM   #32

I have the Japanese version of SD-300, IXY Digital 50, but have no problem so far with its LCD. It might be that this problem is common to units sold in American/Canadian market. Hmmm...anyone has a Canon with a cracked LCD bought in Asian market? :?
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 6:18 PM   #33
d48

The cracked screens are just one of Canon's common problems. Another is the E18 error which affects lots of models including current ones and models going back at least 4 years. For some people, it happens intermittently, but for lots of them, it just kills the camera.

I don't understand why Canon doesn't have better customer service for these known problems that are not the fault of the user.
d48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 4:24 PM   #34

Thanks to all of you members who posted on the SD300 cracked LCD. I too had mine break while packed in a Canon case in my carry-onbag on my trip to Italy. I sent it to the Canon repair center in IL and they returned an estimate via e-mail of $105 to repair it. Don't know why it was somewhat less than others have been quoted ($165). But I still felt that this should be a warranty repair.

After brief discussion with the service rep. they passed me on to technical service. After another brief discussion the technical service rep. they agreed to waive the charges. She called it a one-time courtesy repair. She also indicated that they would send me instructions on how to care for the camera LCD including how to put the camera in its case! They said it would take 5-7 days for the repair.

I must say that I really like the camera but it is just a little too delicate. I do appreciate Canon stepping up and repairing the camera at no cost. My advice to those of you that run across this same problem is to be reasonable and courteous with Canon and they will treat you fairly as they did me.
gpm1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 12:22 PM   #35

is the cracking lcd problem also common with the sd400???
imran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:56 PM   #36

I'm looking into buying either an SD400 or SD500. I just called Canon and asked about the broken screens and the E18 error. The woman I talked to said that she hadn't ever heard of either problem and had only ever heard excellent reports from owners :roll:
Josh784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:33 PM   #37

Josh784 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking into buying either an SD400 or SD500. I just called Canon and asked about the broken screens and the E18 error. The woman I talked to said that she hadn't ever heard of either problem and had only ever heard excellent reports from owners :roll:
That maybe because she's a customer service representative, and it's very typical that they say things like 'I've never heard of this....and I've only heard great reports....no bad reports'.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:03 PM   #38

Yep, that's what the :roll: was meant to imply.

Don't know if I want to go the Canon route now. The idea of a portable digital camera was to be able to carry it with me everywhere. That means occasionally in environments with below freezing weather.
Josh784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:35 PM   #39

This just happened to me!!! I didn't do anything crazy with the camera. I always put it in a case. Seems like it just spontaneously cracked overnight. Just wanted to reply to this message so maybe we can track all the people that are having this problem.

I'm going to call the customer support first thing tommorow morning. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to have good luck like several of you have and they'll pay for the fix.

The part better not still be on backorder because I have a trip to Guatemala on July 2nd! Maybe the backorder is a sign that this is a very common problem?
aim4min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:09 AM   #40

um ..i just bought this camera this weekend

not sure if i want to keep it now after hearing so much problems with it
TenzoR is offline   Reply With Quote