Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:47 PM   #41

Hello to you all,

I just bought 9 days ago the SD200 model. The same thing happened yesterday. The LCD screen turned black and I was no longer able to take any pictures. I do not know what happened, since I did not dropped the camera. The weather conditions were not excellent, cloudy, and quite humid into the atmosphere (85 degreed F). I was lucky enough (?) to change the camera and I chose the SD300. Since today, I have been worried about this choice, apparently the same problem occured.

What other choice will be wise to follow regarding a digital camera purchase? Any other possible choice? Why the LCD is so fragile with temperature conditions?

Thanks

Max
masieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:05 PM   #42

masieg wrote:
Quote:
Hello to you all,

*snip*
Why the LCD is so fragile with temperature conditions?

Thanks

Max
Sorry to hear that it happened there Max. Considering the number or reports about the cracked LCD at this late stage....there's been a sufficient number of reports that may point toward a bad batch of LCD or a electronic design flaw.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:28 PM   #43

I don't know. I am getting a ultracompact camera and am debating this one. My aunt and uncle have had theirs(SD200) since september or so, and have had no such problems with it. They take tons of pictures, and always have it in a pocket or purse and it never has happened. I don't know what is wrong with yours, but it seems wierd. I still don't know about the Sd400, but it doesn't seem to be as common of an occurence( I have hardly read anyone complain about it is this forum
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:38 PM   #44

too busy101 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know. I am getting a ultracompact camera and am debating this one. My aunt and uncle have had theirs(SD200) since september or so, and have had no such problems with it. They take tons of pictures, and always have it in a pocket or purse and it never has happened. I don't know what is wrong with yours, but it seems wierd. I still don't know about the Sd400, but it doesn't seem to be as common of an occurence( I have hardly read anyone complain about it is this forum
I think there's been more reports of the problem for the SD300. But I think that the SD200 is a similar camera to the SD300 right?
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:25 PM   #45

that happend to me too except in a different way i was teking pictures and it just cracked on me right then and there i saw the crack for as i was takeing pictures i have yet to contact cannnon about the lcd i hope its not the case where i have to pay for a new lcd.
pcgeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:32 PM   #46

I'm not sure why my browser gave me a black background for this reply window, so I had to change the text to green to see my own text. But anyway, I found this link today, and not sure if anyone has posted it.

For me, I'm not sure if I'd like to do my own repair, but at least it's got some contact and part numbers.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jo262/...0_ixus-30.html
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:52 AM   #47

I'm another chump with a Canon SD300. I've had my camera for 4 weeks. I took it with me on a trip to China. I took a number of photos on the drive to my hotel. Upon arrival at the hotel, I put my camera in a soft side case and put in my pocket (I thought it was a pocket camera). When I got to my room and took the camera out of my pocket, the LCD was cracked. I had to use the view finder for the rest of the trip so I could at least have some photos. What a disappointment! I haven't shipped to Canon yet, but I think I can predict the outcome...
cagreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:07 PM   #48

We have an A95 purchased on 5/7/2005 and the LCD is cracked with a large black "blob" in addition.* We haven't checked yet to see if it will be covered by warranty.*
B and K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:26 AM   #49

I wanted to get the S2, but now I am a bit scared. One thing I do know, I will NOT buy it online!
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:16 AM   #50

:? My sd300 only four months old. I handled with great care. All of a sudden the screen cracked, there is light. It is not the temperature, it is alway within 50F - 65F. The bottom line, stay away from this camera.
aslwin is offline   Reply With Quote