Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:56 AM   #51

Sorry to hear about that. I think we can all agree that it's probably either a bad batch of LCD screens OR it could be a electronic design flaw with the SD300.

aslwin wrote:
Quote:
:? My sd300 only four months old. I handled with great care. All of a sudden the screen cracked, there is light. It is not the temperature, it is alway within 50F - 65F. The bottom line, stay away from this camera.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:56 PM   #52

Hi all of you at Steve's Digicams forum. This is my first post here, and i'm trying to look for an explanation and a solution to a problem that is not just a coincidence, but it seems to be a major design bug from Canon R&D.

After reviewing most of the ultra-compact digital cameras a different online sites, I decided to buy my stylish, pocketeable, and full of features SD300 camera witha LowePro carrying bag for extra protection when the camera is not in my pocket with the included hard leather case. I bought it from Amazon on December 8th, 2004 and I was a very happy user until two days ago (my birthday !!). I live andI work in Chile (South America) and I was taking some pictures to an electrical shovel at a mine pit (temperature was like 25ÂșC), and suddenly the LCD crashed. The backlight is working properly, but I can see a diagonal crack from middle right to upper left and a black-purple bubble over it. I'm alwaysextremely careful in the use of all of my electronic gear, specially with this camera that was a litle jewel to me...

I want my camera back. But reading this thread and others from i-net it seems very unlikely to get a "free" solution from Canon technical support. Is very difficult to me to send it to Canon-USA and pay for the replacement of the LCD (I read somewhere else that this could cost as high as US$170) and the shipping to my country. So I need to get some reliable information on how to get the spare LCD part and replacementdirections.

I love Canon cameras, but I'm very disappointed with this. If any of you would like to share your soluino o this problem please email me to jespinoz at gmail dot com

Regards,

Javier Espinoza H.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:17 AM   #53

Tarkus wrote:
Quote:
So I need to get some reliable information on how to get the spare LCD part and replacementdirections.

*snip*

Regards,

Javier Espinoza H.
Here's some information for the parts...

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/jo262/...0_ixus-30.html

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:20 AM   #54

The solution to the problem will likely be a class action law suit. Unfortunately, the attorneys will end up with the largest chunk of change...which is par for the course with class action lawsuits. Canon knows there's a problem here, so I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. I DO have sympathy for YOU folks however. I also appreciate the warning sign of those of you who were kind enough to post your experience. It saved me from a bad decision.
Vote with your wallet next time.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #55

I wonder if the SD400s and SD500s are afflicted with this problem :sad:
Liquid_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:15 PM   #56

"The solution to the problem will likely be a class action law suit."

I would think the solutionmight be small claims court. The plaintiff wouldn't need an attorney to file a lawsuit, and it would cost Canon much less to settle the claim than to send an attorney to defend it.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:37 AM   #57

Liquid_Turbo wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the SD400s and SD500s are afflicted with this problem :sad:
Only time will tell. Perhaps the circuit design is a bit different, so that the problem might not occur for these later model cameras.....or a different batch of LCD etc.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:03 AM   #58

If you consider a REFUND to be a solution, that's fine and dandy.

I consider a solution to be a FIX of the problem. If Canon won't even admit to the existence of said problem, perhaps a class action suit will force the issue. That's one of the strengths of class action suits...in numbers there is strength. Everybody loves to dig the lawyers, but what power does an individual lawsuit in small claims court have to force Canon to fix a problem?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:08 AM   #59

Update:

Canon would not accept my Canon Powershot A95cracked LCD as a warranty repair. When I sent the camera in for repair, I actually sent a copy of this blog in the box with it! I phoned todayand asked whether this documentation was even considered when they made the warranty determination. The repairman said "We do not consider the opinions of users on blogs as a sound technical basis for making warranty decisions". I'm pretty steamed about this but went ahead and authorized the $105.00 flat fee for repair. I gave the example of the person that was using a Canon and the screen cracked right before his eyes while he was holding the camera in his hand ! The repairman said that in this case, the impact probably happened some timebeforehand and the "cracking" was a delayed reaction.

I asked if we have any recourse if this is a recurring problem and he simply said that "This is NOT a recurring problem". I don't understand how can he see all these complaints from users and still make that statement.

-Brent
B and K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:25 AM   #60

This is the type of customer service person that needs a can of whoopass opened on their head...and their boss as well.

With this attitude, AVOID CANON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!