Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:40 PM   #61

I have been following this thread here and elsewhere and don't really know about the problem myself. BUT.. In the past, when I encountered a problem like this, where many people were having the same, exact problem (it was an early DVD player with pixilation problems), the company denied it just like this. What I did was get the North American CEO or VP's Name and Address,andwrote him with my problem. It worked, I got a new one. I think you all should start a letter writing (hard copies are best as they can't just delete them) campaignto the CEO and see what happens. Arguing with the people in Cust Serv is useless, they are trained to get rid of complainers. Gotta go to the top.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:48 PM   #62

mes444 wrote:
Quote:
I have been following this thread here and elsewhere and don't really know about the problem myself. BUT.. In the past, when I encountered a problem like this, where many people were having the same, exact problem (it was an early DVD player with pixilation problems), the company denied it just like this. What I did was get the North American CEO or VP's Name and Address,andwrote him with my problem. It worked, I got a new one. I think you all should start a letter writing (hard copies are best as they can't just delete them) campaignto the CEO and see what happens. Arguing with the people in Cust Serv is useless, they are trained to get rid of complainers. Gotta go to the top.
You're right about having to go to the top. I ordered a refurbished Sony Vaio laptop a few years ago while I was in USA. I ordered from SONY itself! The list of items on the weblink clearly stated that I'd get WinXP pro operating system. I ended up seeing Win2000 in the laptop that I received. I called up Sony customer service (sony usa), and talked to a whole BUNCH of people and waited for ages and ages. They kept passing the buck to everyone....leading me on a wild goose chase. I asked them to get the computer administrator to recover the web page on their website to see for themselves the list of items.....and they kept telling me that they cannot recover it because they delete their pages once the sale is made etc). I thought that was just nonsense.........because a large company NOT backing up their data files? I knew it was nonsense. Then the customer service girl from Sony became rude toward me. The whole situation was pretty disgusting. But as we all know....customer service people are not the people up top that care about the company. They can be anybody.
The customer service people made up lies and nonsense about what is seen on the list is not necessarily what you'll get for refurbished items. This was absolute nonsense, because there was no fineprint on the website that stated this when I was purchasing the laptop. They were a bunch of liars.

Even though I knew I was 100 percent correct in what I should receive, none of the customer service people wanted to have anything to do with it. So that's why it's important to get onto the guys up the top instead. For my particular case, I would have made a big fuss over it by going to the folks up top.....but later, I discovered that they gave me a 10 gig (or something) hard drive instead of the LISTED 3 gig hard drive. Everything else I received was as listed after thorough checks. And I figured that win2000 should be more stable than WinXP pro (at that time). So I was laughing......because...as they said themselves.....what is seen on the items list is not necessarily what you'll get. So I actually got much better than what I was supposed to receive. I learned an important thing from that ordeal. I learned that even big name companies can have very lousy customer service people on the phone lines. The real service technicians themselves might be very good and helpful people, as I had found out, but the customer service people on the front line.......can be useless.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:18 PM   #63

I bought an SD300 about 5 mos ago and it just cracked the other day. I got it at Best Buy and purchased a performance & service plan. Every other time I've had any problem with a digital camara, Best Buy has come through for me, but not this one. They say the cracked screen is not "normal wear and tear." Clearly they haven't been on the web, as it seems like the screen frequently cracks from normal wear & tear. I'm not sure what I did to crack it, but it wasn't anything that stands out in my head. I had it in a special compartment in my purse where I've always kept cameras before with no problems, and one day pulled it out & there was the cracked screen. No word yet on how much they'll charge for repairs.
coloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:01 PM   #64

Same thing just happened to my SD500 yesterday - purply fractal looking crack. Backlight still works. Happened on a trip where temperatures were in the 15 to 25 Celsius range.

Camera definitely wasn't crushed. Nor exposed to cold. In fact it seems to have happened over night in the hotel room. Looked at pics taken during the day on Saturday. Put camera on night stand. Woke up, put it in my pocket, went to take a picture about 15 mins later, and there it was.

Guess I'll see what Canon Canada is willing to do - I've owned several Canon's without any issues at all
brushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:26 AM   #65

"If you consider a REFUND to be a solution, that's fine and dandy.

I consider a solution to be a FIX of the problem. If Canon won't even admit to the existence of said problem, perhaps a class action suit will force the issue. That's one of the strengths of class action suits...in numbers there is strength. Everybody loves to dig the lawyers, but what power does an individual lawsuit in small claims court have to force Canon to fix a problem?"

I was thinking in terms of a practical rather than an ideal solution. I agree that a class action lawsuit could force Canon to admit the problem and accept responsibility; however, people have been talking about the e18 error message problem with various Canon digicams for years now, and a class action lawsuit has been discussed as a solution to that problem, also. To date, no class action lawsuit has been filed. I would love to be proved wrong, but I suspect the same scenario will hold true for this problem. If that's the case, it seems to me that a refund and NO fix is preferable to NO refund and NO fix.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:43 AM   #66

Probably better to go for the refund but buy a different model camera. Canon's other camera models seem to be ok....my G6 has been doing fine and haven't heard of too many complaints about it. Although, I must say, the LCD on the G6 (which is a known thing) does have the vertical line quirk in lowlight shots when you point the camera at some light sources. This kind of thing isn't acceptable in my opinion.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 4:57 PM   #67

Does anyone know if the help posted here on replacing the cracked LCD screen on the SD400 works with the Powershot S500? I am ready to order the LCD but I was wondering if anyone had success with the Powershot S500 in particular? If so - would anyone mind posting if the instructions? - particularly if they differed in any way or were much more diffuclut to complete?
Thanks

grooveboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:47 AM   #68

I was about to buy the sd 500.Lucky i read this thread.Are there lot of issues about cracked lcd for canon sd 500?
bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:38 AM   #69

i had this same LCD problem with my SD400, which i purchased at the end of may. i got a bill for 100 dollars + tax + shipping = 113.66.

i just got off the phone with tech support and had to share my INSANELY REDICULOUS conversation with yall.

tech guy: how do you carry your camera?

flygirl: in a camera case

tech guy: how do you carry the case?

flygirl: in my hand or with the strap on my wrist

tech guy: well holding it in your hand is sqeezing it

flygirl: um, what? :? how do you suggest i hold the case if not in my hand sometimes? and how else can i take pictures?

tech guy: i'm just saying that holding it is squeezing it

he also admitted that this is a very common problem, but said it was because so many people squeeze the camera (which is apparently the same things as holding it in your hand....you know, because you really should levitate your camera, right? use the force, luke)

HOLLYWOOD ENDING: he said he'd repair my camera for free as a courtesy repair since i only had it a month or so before i sent it in. he reminded me sternly that this is a one-time deal and it is NOT a warranty repair.

flygirl43434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:46 PM   #70

flygirl43434 wrote:
Quote:
he also admitted that this is a very common problem, but said it was because so many people squeeze the camera (which is apparently the same things as holding it in your hand....you know, because you really should levatate your camera, right? use the force, luke)
hahahahahhaa!! It was funny that he said 'you should levitate your camera'. That's hilarious! Maybe everybody should permanently keep their SD300 in some kind of plexiglass case for display purposes only hehehe.