Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:28 AM   #71

noooooo it happens on the sd400 too:sad::sad::sad:
Liquid_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:15 AM   #72

elar
My SD300 cracked yesterday, bought it in december last year. Don't know exactly how it happened because my girlfriend was borrowing it at the time. She is a lot more careful than I when handling the camera and she swears she doesn't know how it happend. She was carrying it in a camera case in her bag all the time.

There was no temerature changes involved, arround 15-20celsius all of the time.

Yesterday she told med she would pay for a new camera but now, after reading this thread, I can't take the money as I no longer blame her.

Live in sweden now, bought the camera while studying in the US, will try the local dealer first but I guess I have to order a screen from canon in the US and put it together myself!

I've uploaded a picture of the display
http://hem.bredband.net/jacgud/brokensd300lcd.html

EDIT:
I've now checked up the price here in sweden for a new LCD and it's 980kr (130US dollars)! Can't belive how they try to rip us of. I've also asked for a price from a repair store nere by, don't have to much hope for that now though :sad:

Edit2:
The repair would cost med
about 1400kr (185US Dollars). I Also wrote back and asked the store selling spareparts why it costed so much here i sweden and he answerd that they were following canons recommended prices. So I'll guess I'll have to find a way to order from the UK now...
Guddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:39 AM   #73

Guddi...sorry to hear that happened to you as well. That photo shows exactly the same kind of oozed purplish blobs as the other cases. I'm completely convinced that the SD series camera have a design problem now.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:50 AM   #74

Another reply from Canon:

Dear Brian

Thank you for your e-mail reply. We understand your concern and thank you for taking the time to forward your concern and the URL to us. It is only through our customers comments and suggestions that we are able to manufacture quality products that our customers will be able to use on a consistent basis. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded onto the appropriate Department for their information. If you wish, you may consider using the optional SD400 leather case to protect your camera when it is not in use. This accessory is available through authorized Canon sales dealers.

Sincerely,
David M. Technical Support Representative Customer Information Centre Canon Canada Inc
Old Aug 9, 2005, 1:54 PM   #75

NOt really sure what that link is..

Anyway, im down for replacing my lcd with a new one, since, of course, mine cracked the same way as everyonelses. But, will i have the same problem with my new lcd? does anyone know if i put in a new lcd if it will just go a head and crack as well?

Thanks
tmasterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:28 PM   #76

uhh

that URL looks fishy somehow:O
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:59 AM   #77

Liquid_Turbo wrote:
Quote:
uhh

that URL looks fishy somehow:O
I did some searches on the internet, and I get some links that refers to this firm, so I think the link is probably quite OK.

Eg...

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/car...eer_Alumns.asp

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com...03/patrein.htm
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:04 AM   #78

Anyone know if fixing the lcd and replacing it with a new one will solve this cracking problem?

Thanks
tmasterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:25 AM   #79

Now that my camera is fixed, i'm trying to decide if i should try to sell it and get something else instead.

Has anyone gotten their camera fixed and then had the same LCD problem all over again?? Has anyone else thought about selling it at a discounted price? is this ethical?

if i do get a new camera, any opinions on what i should get??
flygirl43434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:21 AM   #80
TCB

Check out the olympus stylus 800, very sturdy, nice pics, and an EXCELLENT LCD!!
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote