Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:15 PM   #81
fla

Hi everyone ! Just to say how sad and furious i am because it happened to me too. I ´m from Europe and I bought my ixus 50 (sd400) 10 days ago. I took extreme care with my new precious, never went to the ground not even once, and it was only me that worked whit it. Just picked it up in a hot day to take some pics on my baby running at the beach , and there it was : Cracked LCD.Canon says it falled to the ground and there´s no warranty . My cam does not have a single scratch, it´s brand new (10 days). I WILL NOT FIX IT an I WILL NEVER BUY anything from CANON again.
fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:56 AM   #82

fla wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone ! Just to say how sad and furious i am because it happened to me too. I ´m from Europe and I bought my ixus 50 (sd400) 10 days ago. I took extreme care with my new precious, never went to the ground not even once, and it was only me that worked whit it. Just picked it up in a hot day to take some pics on my baby running at the beach , and there it was : Cracked LCD.Canon says it falled to the ground and there´s no warranty . My cam does not have a single scratch, it´s brand new (10 days). I WILL NOT FIX IT an I WILL NEVER BUY anything from CANON again.
Hang on to your camera, and keep it in the same good condition. And keep trying to contact Canon to get it fixed. Also, visit this link in the future to see if there's any further developments with Canon's take on this issue.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:13 AM   #83
fla

Hey kenny

I don`t believe Canon will ever assume this "problem". I went personally to a Canon official assistant store, they holded my cam, they saw it was completely new, and they say at my face that it went to the floor. Now, how can I expect in the future to fix it without charge, if this "company" calls me a liyar in my face. Another issue I mentioned to Canon was: What if my cam brakes again after I pay the 150 € for a new LCD ? The guy tells me:Well, after we fix the problem, we would give you some instructions, on how to operate it and how to carry it ! Unbelievable!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:01 PM   #84

fla...I believe that if your camera has absolutely no blemishes on it, dents, cracks, scratches etc, then it is your right to get into contact with Canon people higher up in the chain, and also tell them about your experience with the Canon representatives for not respecting you. I wouldn't settle for that kind of thing if a representative treated me in that way, especially if the camera was treated with absolute care.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:18 PM   #85

Do it yourself success! Fixed my Canon S230 broken LCD with a replacement part direct from canon, thanks to the encouragement found on this thread. Incidentally, I cannot believe that canon has *no* protective material between its LCD screen and the outside world -- not even a flimsy piece of clear plastic.

The replacement LCD screen from canon parts was a little expensive -- about $70 after shipping. Found it from the canon parts phone number mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Taking apart the camera was pretty easy, though you *do* want to remember which screws go where. (My method: as I remove each screw from the body, I place it on a piece of paper and write a letter (A, B, C) next to the screw, and then use a pencil to write the same letter next to the hole on the camera body itself.)

Instructions linked elsewhere in this article to a similar but different model canon talk about how it's difficult to thread the replacement ribbon underneath the tripod mount plate. I think it's different with the S230. The bottom tripod mount came off easily by removing one screw (along with a set of attached micro-buttons) and after that it was really easy to get access to the ribbon.

Pressing the ribbon into the receptical was a little fiddly, takes some force and it never seemed to go in as far as I would have liked, but no matter, the camera works fine.

So steps I took:

1) remove all the screws on the body
2) remove back plate
3) remove front plate
4) remove bottom tripod mount panel / electronics (only one screw I think)
5) replace LCD screen
6) reassemble.

If a bit of rubbery material falls off during surgery and you're wondering where it goes, it fits loosely over the two-circles viewfinder glass.

I've attached a photo of how your disassembled canon S230 will look right before you replace the LCD screen. It's not necessary to take it apart any more than you see here.

Good luck!

- Canton

http://www.ontology.com/canton

Attached Images

canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:20 PM   #86

Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:24 PM   #87

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:06 AM   #88
fla

Kenny I`m from a very small country in western Europe called Portugal.The store I went was Canon Portugal, wich is the main Canon importer. How high should I go, maybe Canon Europe ? Maybe I`ll try some agency, that helps consumers, cause I noticed that in the warranty card, Canon doesn´t have any statement about LCD, wich means that maybe, unless obvious marks of uncareless, they have to cover the warranty to this problem too. I`ll see how allof thisgoes and keep in touch to give some news.Thanks for all the advises
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:42 AM   #89

Ihave replaced the LCD this week-end !!! (I posted about my sd300 lcd few weeks ago). I'm posting some pictures of the "surgery". Thanks to Kenny_Leongfor the link with the instructions... very useful !.

Attached Images

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:45 AM   #90

Another picture
Attached Images

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote