Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1

This is a fairly simple question.....assuming the A95 is the better camera, how is it they went to a smaller lens? (as compared to my A70) It makes all the sence in the world that optics help make the photo, and larger lens size allows more light to enter the camera. Anyone have any idea why the newer, better camera would have the smaller lens?
Forgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2

No one seems to have the answer, but a store clerk had a plausible explaination. He thought that the folding panel on the back took away the room for the lense and to make the optics work in the smaller space, the lense had to be smaller, makes sence to me.....still don't like it.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:00 AM   #3

because they are both f/2.8 does it really matter?

:?
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:01 AM   #4

From my experience with photography, a larger lense will allow more light to the camera, and will give a sharper image. A small lense is subject to finer tolerances to achieve the same result, andI am suspect that something will not be as good here due tothe higher degree of difficultyin getting everything to work. Something else had tobe made more sensitive to achieve the f2.8 and perhaps it is possible nothing has been lost in quality....I am still skeptical.