Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1

When preparing to take a picture of a high contrast setting or more specifically a bright light source with dark around it while viewing it on the LCD, the LCD shows purple artifacts that come from the light source that go to the edge of the LCD (lines if you will).

I just received my Cannon Powershot G6 and have noticed something when using the LCD display to frame and take pictures. When shooting at an area with a bright light source, like into a room at night with a bright light on (floor lamp), the LCD display shows purple lines coming from the light source to the edges of the LCD (over the darker areas of what is being shown). These lines are always across the short length of the LCD, or top down when in landscape orientation, or across when in portrait. Nothing shows up in the image, this is an effect only seen when previewing before a shot.

A similar effect occurs when shooting from inside a room capturing the widows with bright daylight pouring in. Again, high contrast from the darker walls, ect… with the window, and bright sunlight being the source. The effect here is not purple, but more orange red… but the effect is the same.

My assumption is it may be the way the image detector is capturing the image real time to the display. When you're using the display to take the shot, it's like a video feed.

I haven't called Canon on this yet, but thought to ask if anyone has observed this on the G6 or other Canon Digi Cams, or others???

Jeff
hartmaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:42 PM   #2

Hi hartmaje:

I've seen this on a number of different cameras and the G6 is not nearlyas bad as some. You can talk to Canon, it would interesting to hear their response,but I doubt there's much they can do.... i.e. they'll tell you there's no problem...

Regards....Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:16 PM   #3

I haven't seen purple lines, but mine are kind of whitish vertical wavey lines that show up on the LCD. I see this when I take a photo at night when bright lights are out in the distance somewhere in the scenery. I don't think that we should tolerate this kind of nonsense for 600 bucks (the rough cost of the camera).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:41 PM   #4

This isn't lens flare is it?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:53 PM   #5

It's not lens flare. It's just some poor design thing with the camera.
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:56 PM   #6

I just saw these purple lines just then while testing indoors. But outside, I've actually seen dynamic lines that actually scans downwards on my LCD too.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:14 PM   #7

I appreciate all the responses and confirmation.

I'm not ready to throw Canon under the bus yet. On my way home from work I stopped at BB to check out another G6 as well as some other brands (I just received my G6 last week Friday through on line e-tailer so I was motivated to see if mine is defective and if I wanted to take quick action on a return, or I'm just anal). From what I saw this isn't just isolated to the G6 product, as Santos noted.

The G6 in the store showed the same effect as mine. I also noted the same effect on the Sony DSC-V3 (the next gen over the V1). Not quite as notable as the Canon but there none the less. My brother verified this effect on the DSC-V1 (5MP) as well. This effect in general is more apparent with a large aperture and tends to get less noticeable as you close the aperture.

I pretty much looked at all the digi cams BB had with manual type controls so I could control the aperture. Kodak, Fuji, Nikon, almost all of them had this effect with varying degrees. This wasn't a scientific study by any means but it seemed to be greater on cameras with higher resolution.

So the images we take are great but may need to have this distraction in certain situations.

Here is a fairly bad picture I took with the Kodak of the effect on the G6

Attached Images

hartmaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8

If this effect is seen in a bunch of different cameras from different makers/brands, then I think that these makers are pushing dodgy products onto us. By not indicating this kind of problem that they know about (from their own field tests), it means that they're not respecting us-the customers. This kind of thing is unacceptable. I can't see any lines like this on my nikon 950 at all. While on the g6, I can see the lines when the iris is both narrow and wide. For narrow iris, the picture just get's darker, so that the lines are less visible..but it's still there.

Also, with another issue...the camera companies are also not respecting customers by not distributing pixel remapping software for hot-pixels etc. They probably just want to charge customers ridiculous prices for remapping services once the ccd starts to develop hot pixels in the future.