Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:49 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new Digital camera with 5.0 mega-pixel. I'm new to Digital photography (and Photography in general)and I would like toget feedback and valuable comments from people who have more experiences in these fields. I've done some initial research, but I still find it difficult to choose a model. Anyway I've shortlisted Canon PowerShot A95 and Nikon Coolpix 5200. Based on the reviews and comments I've read so far I'm more inclined towards Canon PowerShot A95. Your valuable guidance and comments is really appreciated. To make things easier I've listed few points that I look for in both these models.
  1. Picture Quality (sharpness)in Outdoor, Indoor, Night, Dusk, Cloudy, etc.. [/*]
  2. Print Quality [/*]
  3. Point and Shoot [/*]
  4. Ease of handling [/*]
  5. Features [/*]
  6. Robustness [/*]
  7. Value for Money[/*]
As mentioned above I'm quite an amateurin Photography. Most of my shooting will be for home use and some outdoor activities.

Thanks,

Ben
bjawasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:15 AM   #2

Wrong forum to ask.. this forum is going to be biased as hell

Here is a side-by-side comparison.

A95 has more manual controls. For example, it has aperature priority and shutter priority modes (while the Nikon doesn't). These modes will let you control aperature opening and shutter speed. It also has a min shutter speed of 15 seconds vs 8 seconds on the Nikon.

A95 also has a larger LCD (1.8" vs 1.5"), that also happens to be a flip-out LCD.

However, the Nikon is a bit smaller...

Sooooo...based on specs, the A95 looks better... I'm not sure about pic quality though...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:02 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for the input, and yeah I think I've choosen the wrong Forum. But going through other forums,looks likeCanon A95 has more weight over Nikon 5200. I think I'll go for Canon A95, I'm not very much concerned with the size.

Ben
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:37 AM   #4

Here are some pictures I took with my A95 http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html

I now own the A95 for a little over 3 months and I am most pleased with my purchase. The camera does have limitations, but they do not really bother me so its great!
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 11:20 PM   #5

Thanks again for all your valuable inputs. The picturesare Great!!I think I'm gonna be a proud owner of A95 soon!!
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:00 PM   #6

I was having the same problem choosing between the Canon A95 and the Nikon 5200. I hemmed and I hawed and I finally, after reading everything I could get my hands on and deciding I wanted something substatial in my hand (another consideration not to mention batteries, etc) I opted for the A95. I have been having a lot of fun with it. I hope I decided correctly. Will let you know!
mparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:21 AM   #7

Nicolas, nice pics man... pretty good ones... I like them...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:02 AM   #8

I am now a proud owner of A95. Atlast!! after a long wait. I had to wait for it to be shipped from Singapore. But I guess its worth it. Man!! the A95 is a complete sold-out here in Chennai. I'm still very new to this product and I'm still diggin' my head to the User Guide. Thanks Guys for your valuable inputs!!!