Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:45 PM   #11

no, i dont mean blurring it in photoshop (you CAN blur only the water, btw) i meant applying the polarizing filter in photoshop. Shoot the pic as is and polarize it afterwards.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:30 PM   #12

you can blur just the water??

how???? you gotta tell me....:-)

that would be cool to try. Polarizing yes, i guess i misunderstood you.

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:51 AM   #13

In regard to "just do it in Photoshop..."

There's a difference between blur in water only versus the software applied blurs, unless of course you take the pain to mask all the rocks. Even then it doesn't look realistic because water falling over and in front of a rock should blur, while the rock should stay in focus. Can't do that trick in Photoshot, no matter how good you are with it.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:58 AM   #14

coontie wrote:
Quote:
no, i dont mean blurring it in photoshop (you CAN blur only the water, btw) i meant applying the polarizing filter in photoshop. Shoot the pic as is and polarize it afterwards.

No no no and no. It's clear you might not know what a ND filter is: An ND filter reduces the available light. All of it. Enough that a longer open shutter time is allowed and you can still get a proper density exposure (with both highlights and shadow detail).

Brightness, contrast, saturationand gamma filters available in software can't acheive that effect when motion blur is the goal.

And the polarize filters don't work the way the filter on a camera does. Only the light hitting the sensor knows if its polarized. Once the sensor has recorded it, the fact it was or wasn't polarized is lost. In the SW, the polarize/solarize filters play with gamma and color saturation. Not true polarization -e.g., software will never allow you to see through a water surface haze.

Good topic!

New Info: my latest Pro1 firmwware update - there's a Neutral Density setting! It drops the sensitivity several stops.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote