Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1

Ok, this is my dilemma. Imay be able to buy the SD200 for $357.99CND or the SD300 for $389.99CND. I think these are both great prices already. Should I stick with the 3.2mp or pay $32 more for a 4.0mp? Which one of these is the better camera? On one hand, it would be nice to have an extra pixel to play around with for when I want to crop photos. But then I've been hearing that the edges of the SD200 photos turn out better than the SD300s. Is their any other major differences between these 2 cameras with the movie modes, quality sensors, etc.?

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

these cameras are identical. I just bought the sd300 and its amazing...what would you be using it for?
Spiegs1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

I want this camera to last a long time. I don't want to have to upgrade done the road since it can be expensive. Rather buy a good camera now. I'm mostly going to use this camera to take 5x7 and 4x6 pics. I'm going to be backpacking through Europe this summer and its the main reason I want to get a good, solid camera.

Vanessa
Old Jan 22, 2005, 7:06 PM   #4

when your printing pictures or that size, the 3.2 MP or the sd200 would suit you very well. It wont have the same cropping abilities as the SD300, but 3.2 is a good amount. In my opinion, I was willing to spent the extra $80 to give me the ability to crop more easily and also maybe enlarge my pictures. If money isn't a problem go with the sd300
Spiegs1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5

Here is a side by side comparison of the two

Extra C$32 is around 10% of the cost of camera.... so it isn't that much. Given that you plan to keep this camera around for a while, I would spend the extra 10%.

HOWEVER, do keep in mind that these two use the same size sensor so the SD300 may produce slightly more noise than the SD200 (more megapixels with same size sensor usually means more noise)....but I'll still pick the SD300 if I had to go with the camera.

BTW, are you sure that your prices are legitimate? C$390 seems very low for the SD300 given that the US street price (according to dpreview.com) seems to be US$369!!! Make sure the dealer is reputable and don't fall for so-called 'Brooklyn scams'.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:57 AM   #6

Yeah, actually I was going to buy it here at Staples in Vancouver, Canada. I thought I would be able to get that low price as I was gonna use $40 online coupons as well that everyone uses. However, I think now I may only be able to get that camera for $449 which kinda stinks.

Vanessa
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:29 PM   #7

vanessa wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, actually I was going to buy it here at Staples in Vancouver, Canada. I thought I would be able to get that low price as I was gonna use $40 online coupons as well that everyone uses. However, I think now I may only be able to get that camera for $449 which kinda stinks.

Vanessa
Go with the SD200 then.. I am guessing that you would save around C$100 with the SD200 (not sure though)... Once you start getting past 10% of the cost of the camera or more than C$50, I would probably not value the extra megapixel as much.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote