Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:01 PM   #1

Hi all, i'm new here this is actually my first post here ever. However what brings me here is that i've had a major problem just now with my digital camera and it has me very angry. I bought my Canon Powershot S1 IS in June and i loved it. I purchased a 256 MB Sandisk Memory Card with it. I took like around 200 pictures with it and all of a sudden something went really funny with the memory. I would take a picture and then it would delete some of the existing pictures I already had in the memory card to make room for the new one I just shot. I thought it was wierd at first but then i just thought oh maybe its full on memory so i went out and boughta new memory card. This time I bought a 1 Gibabite Sandisk one. I formated the card and everything and when I would take a picture it would say memory error!! So I would have to reformat it again and then it would let me take a picture, but then when i would turn the camera off and then turn it back on it would say No Image.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I was like OMG WTH!?? I would look back to reformat it and it says i have 244MB of memory and its a 1 G Card with like no pictures saved on it. So i knew it was a camera problem not a memory card problem because I then used the Memory Card canon supplied to us and it did the same thing on that card too. I was like NOOOoooOOoo, whats going on. Luckily i did get a 3 year warranty on the camera and i called the customer service at canon for repairs and the technician kept giving me bs saying theres probably nothing wrong with the camera and everything is normal. He told me to just use my old 256 card cuz it seemed to be working. He kept giving me a hard time and making stupid excuses so they wouldn't have to repair it!! But then he said to just mail it in and he wouldn't promise anything.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So I was writing in to ask for some help and was anyone having these problems are am i doing something wrong here?
khamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:10 AM   #2

200 pics? I took more then that in the first week!

The manual says the internal watch type battery is installed during production, so it may need to be replaced long before most installed at time of purchasewould have to be. I wonder if this battery is causing your camera to lose its settings? If so, it may keep trying to name the new file being saved as the same name as the old file and comming up with an error. I really have no clue, but perhaps testing that battery to make sure it works is worth eliminating from the equation?????

also, do you have the new firmware?? Apparently ther were some incompatibily issues with some cards. Either way, it would be worth installing the new firmware if you have'nt already.....

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Do you know what version of the firmware you are using? If you are using the old version, update your camera. I remember that there were some memory card problems with the initial version and it was supposedly fixed in the latest patch.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:28 AM   #4

RE Sandisk cards with S1 .

I have not heard of any compatability problems with these cards and I have shot over 7000 images with no problems with the sandisk ultra 2 1 GB card(using original firmware and version 1.0.1.0 have not bothered with 1.0.2.0).

Definately worth trying the latest firmware though and it might even fix corrupted firmware on camera.Please ensure you follow instructions on update to the letter and use fresh batteries.

Are you only using these cards in the S1 as reformating a CF card in another device or trying to view pictures on S1 shot on another camera will cause dramas.

Hope you have some luck with this problem soon.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:17 AM   #5

No I must not have the latest firmware. To be honest with you guys I am a rookie at this. This is my first Digi Camera and I know something is really wrong with the camera and not the memory card. It could be a battery thing you guys were talking about, But I do use the Monster Ultra 2100 Powercell NiHm recargeables batteries which let you recharge over a 1000 times. If you could explain to me what the latest firmware is and is all about would be helpful because I don't visit this forum at all and have no clue what is what and what is going on. I just bought the camera, bought a 256 sandisk memory card along with it with the rechargeable batteries and thats it. When i started having this problem where it started over-riding my memory i thought it was a memory full error thing. So thats why i went and bought a bigger card. Right now my plans are to go and mail it into Canon and have them fix it due to my warranty. If you guys could explain to me more that would be awesome!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:04 AM   #6

Never mind guys, Ok i just went and did some research and I did do the firmware update thing and it fixed everything! I want to thank you guys a lot, also i just have one small question. I always leave my batteries in my digi camera and never take it out. Is there problems with doing so? Should I leave them out for only in use purposes? Is there any dangers for leaving them inside the camera?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:58 AM   #7

only if you leave them in there for long periods of time. If you use your camera every other or third day, i would not worry. However, if you dont plan on using it for weeks, may as well take them out anyway...

glad to here that was the problem, you managed to fix other problems with that firmware update aswell. So your camera and you are better off now :O)
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote