Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 14, 2002, 6:29 AM   #1

Default s230 Modes

I've noticed many people posting "I took this in night time mode", or "I used the macro mode"... I haven't browsed around the menus too much, but is there such modes in the s230 without going out of auto for the rest of the junk (ie. iso, apeture)? Because sometimes in darker landscape shots it will pic a point to focus and I want the whole image in focus. Thanks again for the help.
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:39 PM   #2

Hi,

Do not be afraid of the manual mode... it isn't really all that manual. I ALWAYS keep my S230 on manual mode. Doing so gives you quick and easy access to the various flash options simply by pressing the flash button... you can turn off the flash for night shots, force a long exposure for a background at night and still get flash for the foreground, handle red-eye, etc. Really very easy.

And the macro mode is also then easily available simply by pressing the macro button. In manual mode, pressing that button cycles through macro, long-distance (infinity) for shooting through a window for example, and "normal" mode.

The bottom line is that in manual mode, you do NOT have to adjust anything you don't want to. Give it a try.
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 4:03 PM   #3

I put it in manual mode a while back and was totally lost. I am a totally ametuer photographer and basically just like to point and shoot to document my life. Unfortunately I do not know very much about ISO and apeture settings yet. If I put it in manual mode, I have to deal with all those other settings because they won't be automatic.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:25 PM   #4

Hi again BCobra,

When you put the S230 into manual mode you DO NOT have to make any changes. You do NOT have to deal with anything you do not want to, and settings will still be at their default (like the auto mode). Here's what you need to do:

Press the Set button. You will see 4 options at the bottom, the first being Auto mode, second being Manual. Then two different Stitch (for panoramic shots) modes. Select the second, Manual, mode.

That's ALL!

Now when you take photos everything will be the same as it was in your Auto mode.

Only two differences: With the flash button you now have more options: Automatic, Red-eye reduction, Forced-flash (great for when people are backlit), No flash (for long exposures on a tripod at night), Slow-sync (which gives you a long exposure - use a tripod - for the background but a flash for the foreground). In Auto mode, you only had: Auto, Red-eye reduction and No flash. So the Manual mode is not THAT much more difficult with the flash settings.

The other difference is with the Macro/Mountain button: In Auto mode you only have "normal" and Mountain (meaning something at a greater distance... like when shooting landscapes through a window... with this setting the camera will not focus on the glass) modes. In Manual mode you have the extra option of Macro.

There... that isn't too complicated, is it?

The other options available in Manual mode by clicking on the Menu button can all be dealt with later, when/if you feel more comfortable or need to do something special. And at that time, I'm sure lots of us would be willing to help you.

Give it a try.
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:57 PM   #5

Wow! Thank you for all the great info. I will definitely be trying this stuff out.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:59 PM   #6
Ox

Does anyone know if the s200 is the same as this?

I'm getting one for Christmas ....hopefully
and I am curious if it works the same way as the s230.
Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 3:17 PM   #7

I'm wondering about the two diferent metering modes. If I set it to "spot metering" is still see the rectangulars popping up. So I don't believe it's a real spot metering. Does anyone know about it?
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote