Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:49 AM   #11

peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
" . . .rant . . .bitches . . . "
IMHO, the original post of this thread doesn't even deserve a response ... and I'm not even a Canon owner!

Suggest youlet the originator have one more 'rant' (which he will no doubt post), and then let this threaddie a natural death. With no further responses, this thread will sort itself off the first page andinto obscurity where it belongs.
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:14 AM   #12

Kalypso,

ONE more post to make 1000......Congratulation's.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:23 AM   #13

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
" . . .*rant . . .*bitches . . . "
IMHO, the original post of this thread doesn't even deserve a response *... and I'm not even a Canon owner!

Suggest you*let the originator have one more 'rant' (which he will no doubt post), and then let this thread*die a natural death.* With no further responses, this thread will sort itself off the first page and*into obscurity where it belongs.
Why don't we let YOU die a slow death? No I don't own a canon .. now.. But i did.. many of them in fact.. Most of the ones that I talk about. You are the typical dumb consumer I talked about being happy with whatever they decide to stick on your plate and you probably complain about nothing for fear of being labeled a complainer. There is nothing worse than a passive person who sits around and lets the world go on around them. Maybe we should let YOU go into obscurity where YOU belong. Stay off my posts ya hear!?
peterdaniel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:15 PM   #14

Dude,

Maybe time to up the dose on your xanax... Believe me, I am far from passive and don't believe that anyone has given me sh-t (at least to my face) in years. I happen to like the S1IS - for the price it totally meets my needs. I wanted big optical zoom with IS and had about $300 to spend - what other options are there? Fault can be found in anything if you look hard enough. Is the glass half full or half empty? I usually choose half full and enjoy life... When I want more pixels (true a great benefit for cropping and huge pics) I plan on and will purchase a DSLR.
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:23 PM   #15

The problem is that you choose to accept only half full in your glass of life. Why not 3/4 full or perhaps ( gasp!) completely full! I understand that the camera you have suits your needs and I am glad that you are happy with that. I do not understand though, why Canon has not updated it for quite a awhile while they update all their other cameras relatively quickly. How do you think the s60 crowd felt when the S70 came out so soon? The lack of logic here is baffling. You had a great camera in the S60 and Canon then almost immediatley come out with the S70. You have a camera that is seriously lacking in several areas and complaints are rampant and are easily proven to be true and Canon saddles us with this camera for over a year now.

They had a great camera in the A80 4 mp and 1/1.8 sensor size. But when they came out with the A85 ( I know its not a direct replacement) why did they make the sensor size smaller?? It is illogical on thier part to not continue with what makes a camera well liked by the public and produces great results. Sounds like pride and a little too full of themselves.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:36 PM   #16

I kind of thought that the Pro 1 (?) was the next step up from the S1IS. Isn't it 8mp with about 7x optical zoom?I guess there could be more of a market foran S2 in the 4-5 mp range, with a focus assist light, etc. , but as stated prior in this thread it would come at a price. Not sure what (if any) Canon's logic is, but my point remains that this cam is more than "half full" for me - I'm getting great shots, have learned about hyperfocal to addresss my low light focus issues and will upgrade to a DSLR when I decide to make the next step up.

Best regards Pete - hey we do need a voice - get the message to Cannon...

Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:43 PM   #17

peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
if you think that a 3.2 can out produce a 5 or 7 mp is so much as detail, you are losing it as well.. There is no replacement for displacement!
For 4"x6" and 5x7, which is what most people print, you can't tell the difference... With 8"x10", you may be able to tell some difference but someone' good 8x10 will look identical to a higher MP pic...

Quote:
Tell me why then, do they use Sony ccd's?
There are only like 3 or 4 sensor manufacturers. As far as I know, Canon doesn't make CCD sensors...

Quote:
Their screen size is also lagging way behind others. 1.5 inches? Puhhhlease!
The screen is kind of small but the low-end ultra-zooms are all similar. Panasonic FZ3 is 1.5" too... besides, Canon has flip-out LCD, whereas Olympus, Fuji, etc don't. Flip-out 1.5" is arguably better than 1.8" normal LCD...

Quote:
4mp and a 1/1.8 sensor size are perfect for each other and is a great combination. Why then don't they continue with it? simple.. The almighty buckaroo... Sad.. These things are manufactured in such mass quantity that the usual excuse of it would cost too much is pure B.S.
Cost DOES make a difference. You'll see 2005 models with 4MP but 2004 low-end ultra-zooms were mostly 3 MP. The 4MP+ ultra-zoom competitors, such as Olympus/Fuji/etc, don't even have image stabilization yet they cost more! Even the Konica Minolta Z3 has a slower lens than the Canon S1 IS. Again, I would pick one with a faster lens than another with slower lens while having one more megapixel.

Quote:
Most people including myself would like to get a S70 but until they update the movie mode and get rid of that stupid and cheesy and cheap sliding cover, I'll pass.
Canon's video in most of their cameras leaves a lot to be desired--that I agree with... However, why don't you go and Sony P150. That has what you want...

Quote:
Its like a manufacture that makes a defective seat in a car. How many car seats have been made How in the world do you make a defective seat? And then CONTINUE to do so after you have been told thousands of times. Please my 5 year old listens better.
Market forces will determine the outcome... if Canon cameras are as bad you are implying, we'll see a quick death to Canon's camera division... time for you to start shorting Canon stock
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:49 PM   #18

one major point you're overlooking...

you want video....

buy a video camera

also...i've had a canon G2 for two years now...4mp...when you actually know how to use the camera, and photoshop, you can make 8x10s better than and 8mp that doesn't know how to use it!

dude, you don't realize...MP doesn't matter, untill you get over 8x10...and once you print over 8x10, you have to have a near perfect image for it to look any good...

lol, if you want image quality...go dSLR...can't beat it

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:14 PM   #19

Thanks Vito, I am aware that 3 mp is fine for prints up to 8x10 but the sharpness is much better the higher the mp goes. Perhaps I am expecting these manufacturers to do too much.... Sort of like adding 1 gig of ram to a windows 95 computer. It just can't use it becuase it doesn't have the capabilty to.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:16 PM   #20

oh and no i have a video camera, I like the video function in a digicam for those short 1-2 minute clips that spontaneously pop up and I like a good quality motion as well.