Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:53 PM   #21

Does it really matter, when one thinks of all the problems facing the world. Try putting some of that time and energy into becoming a kinder, gentler person, instead of concerning yourself with the type of camera other people have. There are a heck of a lot of other things in life to worry about without being that concerned about someone elses camera. Get real! A camera is nothing more than just a camera. Almost everyone can live quite happily without one!

winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:57 PM   #22

uhm.... would you please show me where I was sooooo concerned about others peoples camera?
peterdaniel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:24 PM   #23

You shouldn't be using this board to trash people. Calling people dumb consumers because of the type of cam they have or have purchased. Heck, you stated that you have or had most of these cameras. Does that make you a dumb consumer as well?

It sounds like you want something more for your money and something that won't be replaced by a new model in 6 months or less. Dude, look into a dSLR. Look how long the DRebel has been out without a replacement. I know, they came out with the black one recently. Same diff.

I think camera makers are like PC makers. If you buy the consumer model PC, from lets say Dell, they replace the model every few months. If you buy the business workstation class PC's, they keep them pretty standardized.

Just my two cents...
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:00 AM   #24

I truely agree with peterdaniel66! Canon is way far behind!! I own a S500 and it sucks! (Should've bought a T3!)

No battery indicator - how the hell should I know whenthe camera shouldrun out? What if it runs out when taking an important picture? No matter how many batteries you've got, you'll always need an indicator.

1.5" LCD - Sucks and out of date. In this day and age, 3.0"=big, 2.5"=okay, 2.0"=small and 1.5"=That camera is a piece of sh*t!

DIGIC - Sony was smart to make the super fast Real Imaging Processor and hadnt need to change it even up to now. And Canon? Make a super slow DIGIC processor and only now, they realise it's too slow!!

Limited movie length - Why bother calling it a "movie" when it's limited? I'd say that a REAL movie is up to what the user desires. 30 seconds or 3 mins of movie? Nah, not a movie - just 3 minutes of continuous shots stuck together!!

There're more MAJOR MISTAKES that Canon has made and IS STILL MAKING so I'll post more once I've thought of them.
S500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:06 PM   #25

:evil:I agree with Sivaram's analysis. I had an A20 with only 2mp for 4 years. Produce very good pictures and beautiful prints up 6" x 8". I was and still very happy with it. Few months ago I thought it's time to up-grade my hobby after 4 years of A20 with only 2mp. After some study and search, I find the spec. on FUJI E550 is quite attractive. I like everything in this camera; 6mp to 12mp; 4xzoomw,fast and light, 2" LCD. I bought one, after using it for a week, I found the color on the pictures are not as good as my Canon A20, in some case the color in the pictures quite inaccurate and inconsistence. I returned the FUJI E550 and exchanged to Canon S1, it attracted to me it's 10 x zoom, loads of features, the swing LCD, fast Lens and 2000 speed. It's almost 6 months now, I have taken over hundred of pictures, and it turned out good color and sharp, the only problem is low light focus. This appears to be problems for many cameras that I notice complain in the Forum, such as the Pro1 and Panasonic FZ series models. Some hight-end models with high price tag still have these problems or other problems. NO ONE CAMERA IS COMPLETE AND PERFECT.

I like the FORUM FORMAT for discussion and exchange of idea, we all can learn from it, we are not defending or against any particular company brand, however we should offer constructive opoinion and comparison of other makes, if they are better in features and price, may be you can convice us to change. That's what consumer power lies. I assume that's what this Forum for, in any case, as mentioned before, no one camera is perfect, that's why they have so many brand and types of camera in the market place. If anyone don't like the S1 or other Canon cameras, they are plenty of other makes in market to choice from, why limited yourself?
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:28 PM   #26

Thanks to those who have supported me and thanks as well to those that disagree.. I welcome all comments. My goal here was not to bash Canon or make it look like I was out to lynch them. My goal is to simply wake people up and have them demand better products from an awesome company that should be the leader in digital photography. Yes the cameras here mentioned do have many desireble features and Canons quality shows through in thier pictures, but they fall down in areas that amaze me They know that the screen size is too small, the battery meter issue is a problem and the card door on the A series is very cheap. They continue to use a plastic door on all their cameras even though they have had probably thousands of comments disliking it. The cameras are slow, screens are not protected, battery usage is very high, and things like the S70 sliding cover is so poorly designed, I am surprised it doesn't just break off. Ever look at Olympus's Stylus series the 300 and 400? They have a wonderful sliding cover that feels good and solid.
Ever use the Fuji F700? its lightning fast and takes very good pictures. Its battery door is solid and spring loaded. Its body is solid metal. No cheap crap here.
Kodaks have greats display, but they fall down on ergonomics with thier cameras looking like some mid 1980's japanese sports car
Casio is an awesome camera easy to use menu, fast and well thought out features but is their picture quality up to snuff?
My biggest beef though is that Canon KNOWS these things and yet refuses to do anything about it. This strikes me as an attitude problem and it says "we know better than you" and that is why I used the term "dumb consumer"

Look at the best features of all the cameras and then copy them. These companies know what to do, why don't they?:?:
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:34 PM   #27

winner wrote:
Quote:
Does it really matter, when one thinks of all the problems facing the world. *Try* putting some of that time and energy into becoming a kinder, gentler person, instead of concerning yourself with the type of camera other people have.* There are a heck of a lot of other things in life to worry about without being that concerned about someone elses camera. *Get real! A camera is nothing more than just a camera.* Almost everyone can live quite happily without one!

Your right winner... I should talk about world hunger and Iraq and AIds and homeless people. IN A CAMERA FORUM!!! bythe way, I work in an emergency room in a major metropolitan area . I am a nurse so do NOT preach to me about helping people, kinder gentler blah blah.... I live it... do YOU:?:
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:22 PM   #28

peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
" .. . .rant . . .bitches . . . Why don't we let YOU die a slow death? . . . You are the typical dumb consumer . . . Stay off my posts ya hear!?. . . do NOT preach to me about helping people . . .blah blah . . . etc."
Good people (Sivaram, Photosbyvito, RyanH,Winner, et al), do you really want to be lowering yourselves to this level, and offering responses? By continuing to respond to these rantings and personal attacks, you risk giving them legitimacy and aid in keeping this horrible thread alive.

Forum Moderators, please, where are you?
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:53 PM   #29

Peterwhatever wrote:
Your right winner... I should talk about world hunger and Iraq and AIds and homeless people. IN A CAMERA FORUM!!! bythe way, I work in an emergency room in a major metropolitan area . I am a nurse so do NOT preach to me about helping people, kinder gentler blah blah.... I live it... do YOU
-----------
Being paid to help is far different than offering one's self!!!!

I am not a nurse, I choose to give my time with disabled children and i enjoy it. I Do not receive payment for my time.:-)
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:09 PM   #30

Why is it that so many of these type of threads are stared by relatively new members to a board?

I know everyone has an opinion. Heck, I have some very biased opinions when it comes to cameras and whatnot. However, no matter how good a product is, if you look hard enough, you will certainly finda way to dislike it.

As far as the comment about ccd's yes, Sony does make quite a few for other manufacturer's, such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Casio, Olympus,ect... Canon however, does in factmake some of thier own ccd's! Honestly if the price/quality of those Sony ccd's is good enough to produce excellent quality pictures, then why complain? :blah:

I agree with Kalypso. I have an old Oly c3000z, and that thing produces some darn good pictures! At 8X10 the pictures from that camera easily rival some of the newest, most expensive 8mp digicams!

Anyway, Please don't use this excellent forum to create bad blood between members. If you have a complaint/opinion/statement to make, do so, but try not to attack in the process.

Everyone go out and take some pictures, have some fun, and relax!

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote