Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:56 PM   #31

I merely stated some facts regarding Canon Cameras.. it was the responses that turned it personal. God forbid anyone should say anything negative about something people like. What a shame that you will overlook the most heinous of problems if you like something enough... It was not my fault it turned personal.. maybe some of y ou should look in the mirror. I will not respond anymore to these replies. I consider this thread now closed.
peterdaniel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:19 PM   #32

garman wrote:
Quote:
Peterwhatever wrote:
Your right winner... I should talk about world hunger and Iraq and AIds and homeless people. IN A CAMERA FORUM!!! bythe way, I work in an emergency room in a major metropolitan area . I am a nurse so do NOT preach to me about helping people, kinder gentler blah blah.... I live it... do YOU
-----------
Being paid to help is far different than offering one's self!!!!

I am not a nurse, I choose to give my time with disabled children and i enjoy it. I Do not receive payment for my time.:-)

well god bless you.... I'll go in and tell my boss I will work for free...then I'll go and tell my mortgage lenders and teh supermarket that i buy food from that since Im doing such good for the world, they should do the same for me. Your comment was ignorant and self serving. Heres your mirror..
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:03 PM   #33

i dont know why people are out to get peterdaniel. His ORIGINAL complaint was about the Canon cameras. I own an S1. Am I happy with it? Well, personally I feel that there are things that an S1 should do BETTER at the SAME PRICE, without costing like a Mark 2. People that say, "you want more features, pay more money," are a little misguided. If you bought a honda and turned out you could drive it only on perfect german autobahns and it would just crap out and die in suburbia, would you tell people to go out and buy a Mercedes? No. Same here. My old (now stolen) S30 had a low light focus assist lamp. How come S1 doesn't? It's a HIGHER end camera. That's the question.

And to those who say this isn't the place to bitch about Canon cameras.. Well, this is a Canon digital camera forum. Where's he supposed to bitch about Canons? alt.binaries.plaboy?
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:19 PM   #34

Thank you.:blah:
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:22 PM   #35
J5

I tooown a Canon S1 IS. Iresearched this camera before I made my purchase and as a result knew about the few shortcomings of the product. I purchased the product knowing full well that there was a problem focusing in low light. I knew before Ibought itthat there is no battery meter. I knew that the LCD is a bit on the small side. I knew to expect a bit of purple fringing in certain conditions.

But you know what? I bought it anyway because it seemed like the camera that would best meet my requirements in the price range that I was looking. I decided that I could live withthe veryfewminor shortcomings of this particular model. I doubt that any model can make everyone happy. Perhaps this is the reason why there are so many camera models to choose from.

Is my Canon camera perfect? No it's not. Does it do everything that I want it to? No. But for the money I have no need to complain as it is a very good value. I'm not disappointed in any way. I am a happy Canon customer.

Do I think Canon is "losing it big time"? No I don't . Canon produces cameras in a fast changing marketplace. Sure, they might not have a few features that other camera manufactures do, but there are things about my Canon camera that I feel blow the competition out of the water. In the next round of technological advancements, Canon may very well do even better than it's competitors (or not). Bottom line is that I will weigh the quality offeatures that are available when I'm ready to make my next camera purchase. If Canon satisfies my needswitha model thatis within my budget, I won't think twice about making another Canon purchase (incidentally, this is my third Canon camera). If other manufactures make a product that suits my needs better than Canon, I'll buy their product. And Canon knows this -- as such I'mhopeful they will make efforts to ensure my continued loyalty to their product brand by continuing to produce quality featuresinto their products at a reasonable price.

The reality is that in this day of free flowing information, rarely do you not know about the product shortcomings before you buy it. As an intelligent consumer, you also know aboutany superior aspects of the product.You can cast your vote for each product by purchasing it, or not. Quite frankly, I don't think I own ANY product from ANY manufacture that I think is absolutely perfect in every way. If I manufactured the product myself, perhaps I could get closer to product nirvana. But since I don't manufacture products and insteadhave chosen to bea consumer, I can continue to shop for the best products that suit my needs and budget. At the moment, Canon fulfills these requirements for me.

Do I thinkpeterdaniel66's complaints are valid? Sure they are! And hopefully someone from Canon is reading this thread as there are many good points.

Interesting thread -- thanks for posting it.

J5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:14 PM   #36

I agree with peterdanie...and I have been using canon products since my 35 mm A2. I have had the s100, s210, G3, G5, and now the G6 still use the G3. I think the quality of these digital cameras in many ways to be excellent but at the same time have had flaws that should not exist. Some should be easy to remedy: cheap flimsy plastic doors for memory and battery compartments, lens filter threading. Others such as LED screens that lack view ability in almost any daylight environment, focusing that is almost nonfunctional in dim lighting, no focus assist lighting workable past 3 feet. I would agree appear more difficult but still how long do we wait? ..What I see is that Canon along with most digital photo manufacturers are manipulating us into the next great upgrade every time they bring something new on the market which predictably will be lacking in even the easiest of fixes.....always keeping us wanting. I get it but I don't like it, especially when so many of these complaints are about just being cheap on a product that deserves better, come on cheap plastic doors on the $700 G6 wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to thread on a protective filter
They gave us a larger LED view screen on the G6….. its 2" but they kept the pixel count the same as on the 1.8" G5 so the image is washed out and even harder to see outdoors on the G6 than the G5.

Why should you want more mega pixels on the ccd? Well other than better resolution how about this…. you can crop and still print decent 8X10s.

I don't understand why so many users feel that this is a unnecessary discussion. If the Canon owners who have been faithful all these years don't voice their complaints who will Canon listen to? You suppose Canon spends much time browsing the other forums? I Actually think we should have a forum section specifically for dream list and complaints only.

I Still own the G3 and am mostly learning to be satisfied with my G6 a great camera in most ways. I will never sell the 35 mm A2 EOS system I own, it is over 15 years old and yet is still representative of the quality of build we are looking for in digital. Canon you have shown us for decades what can be done when the consumer is more than just a bottom line or someone who must be manipulated up. Give it to us again.

Please!!!!!!

stellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:36 PM   #37

i think the A520 will be 4MP which is fine for 8x10 or 8.5x11

WAIT FOR THE ENTIRE NEW LINE TO COME OUT BEFORE YOU BlTCH

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:34 PM   #38

Ok.

Here is my 2 cents worth.

First off, on DSLR's - NO more EF-S lenses. I would Love to have the 17-85IS, but I would prefer to be able to use that lens on my EOS-3! Come on Canon !!!! I have a friend who converted to Canon from Nikon (sold his Hasselblad equipment & still has a Mamiya RZ). He said - "I don't like all of this crap Canon is doing with the lenses (referring to the EF-S - he owns the 10D &1D Mark II). At least ALL Nikon lenses always fit my Nikon bodies"! (Remember the switchover from FD to EOS?). Of course, the EOS lenses are better & faster & they come offbodies easier than the old Breech-Lok lenses (but they were builf like a tank!)It would also be nice to be able to buy a flash similar to the 420EX that has both Autromatic AND Manual capabilities - without breaking the bank to buy the new 580EX!! Come on Canon!!!!

Now here is my #2 complaint. I see the New A series are taking SD cards. Why change - I use Compact Flash, & don't want to have to buy another format, & besides, SD costs more!! Would have liked to have the G6, but not another Silver camera - I already have one in the 300D.

Still keeping my EOS-3, the Best film camera since the New style F-1 with Motor drive!

David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:57 PM   #39

and that's another thing! What's with this CF->SD migration??! I must've missed the memo. a510 and a520 both now utilize an SD. I guess I don't really care about that, but the S1 replacement (if such a thing exists) better not use an SD because a) i just spent $100 on a 1G CF2 to make sure it can handle the 30fps movies and I'm not sure a SD can handle that and
b) even if a SD can handle the movies, what am I gonna do with my CF??! That's $100 down the drain.

Should've bought the FZ15K. WOULD have if Costco carried it.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:12 PM   #40

Railfire- Nikon does in fact make digital specific lenses! Check out the DX line. :shock:

Also, in early 1980's Nikon changed thier bayonet mount, making it shallower, and thus older lenses not work on newer cameras!

I too am not a fan of 'digital specific' lenses, and I would be quite happy if Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, and Minolta made all lenses compatible with all bodies. It is just not something I ever expect to happen. :sad:

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote