Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:39 AM   #71

peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
you guys are so fuc**ng stupid it brings me to tears..
You sir, are an idiot. Stop being an immature little teenager and grow out of your personal insults.

Nevertheless, thanks for the laughs, you're one pretty funny (and ignorant) guy.
kimnkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:53 PM   #72

hey peterdaniel ... let's put it this way too. I bought a canon g6. I'm ecstatic about the quality of pics it takes. However, I bought the camera knowing full well about the red-eye problem on the g6 is more than on a average camera, and from the start, I was wondering .... with all canon's camera experience...I wondered how canon could push an above-average red-eye problem camera onto consumers. It's like taking a step backwards in the wrong direction... a complete no-brainer.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:13 PM   #73
Administrator

OK this thread has beat itself to death and is now officially closed :blah:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 2:46 PM   #74

The human eye can't tell the difference between a 3.2mp and 5mp. The amount of pixels a camera has, has no relationship to the quality of the image. It is the quality and the SIZE of the pixels that makes a good digital camera. There are so many considerations in overall quality to be factored in such as signal noise. Which would be the equivilant of film grain. I could go on here but there are some interesting articles online. ReaD:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dq.shtml

Get off the megapixels already. It doesn't make a camera.

I just bought a Canon A510. For the money and options, I am happy. WOuld have preferred a higher optical zoom, say around 6x. But, they were pretty plain Jane on the options. And the ones, full of options were out of my price range. This one will do me for a few years. The next one will be one with an SLR lens. The newer SLR lense cameras are already at or slightly above the 35mmfilm quality. But at 1000 to 1500 bucks, a little steep. Like everything electronic, if you play the waiting game, you will be rewarded.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:38 AM   #75

The biggest problem (IMHO)with all of these digital cameras is longevity. In time (in a few years - probably less than your new car loan) these cameras will die a sudden death due to their inherit electronic delicacy. Then you're stuck with a very expensive (at least initially)paperweight. Oh, I forgot, since it'sbeen superseded by about50 or 60 newer modelsthan yours, itwon't be worthmuch anyway! Just ask me about my dead G1. I won't be spending big bucks anytime soonon these throwaway gizmos. I'll take my 30 year old Minolta SRT-101, and my 10 year old Canon Rebel G. At leastthey have better optics, andthe Minolta isworth more now than what it cost new! I replaced my croaked G1 with an A75 and have been relatively satisfied. It was priced right and when it quits working in a few years, I won't be crying in my beer. I like the idea of owning a dSLR, but until there isa good track record of quality and reliability, I won't pull the trigger.
prop guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:24 AM   #76

There is no doubt it will eventually break and become obsolete (digital cameras will end up with a saturation point on obsoleteness very soon anyway). But at the same time I save 5-7 dollars for every roll of 35mm film I don't have to buy and the print cost is about the same. So in the long run the camera will save me money and I can pick and choose which pics I want to print. I bought a 4 year warranty at Best Buy with the camera, so I can breathe easy fo awhile.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:53 PM   #77

Well, that's the disadvantage with digital cameras right now. They can pack up and give up unexpectedly within too short an amount of time (meaning say less than 5 years)...like buttons and switches not working properly, or problems with LCD display (and even hotpixels). I don't know what the status is with freeware/shareware pixel remappers for cameras to treat hot pixel problems, although I've only heard of a free one for the more-recent nikons. For canon, I have no idea. I believe that camera companies owe it to the customer to give free pixel remapping services if the owner of the camera chooses to pay for the shipping. That's because I believe that hotpixels will eventually develop even when the camera hasn't been mis-used. Also...I thought that this thread was closed..but now it's open again hehe
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:30 AM   #78

The Hawk wrote:
Quote:
1.....Get off the megapixels already. It doesn't make a camera...

2. ....Like everything electronic, if you play the waiting game, you will be rewarded...
OH! At Last! The Diogenes "Lamp 'O Truth" shines brightly, thus vanquishing all those various threatening darknesses of illness, ignorance and neglect! Forever! HooRay! :G

F2Guy

PS: not kidding
F2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote