Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 27, 2005, 2:04 AM   #1

With the new release of the Minolta Z5, Canon is once again behind the times... Instead, they choose to release the redundant a510. WTF?! Canon?! Are you dolts awake? Your movie modes are hoplessly out dated, you introduce a long zoom camera and you give it only 3.2 megapixels terrible low light focusing and no low light focus assist and then to top it off you don't even put the AIAF on it.... Damn are you blind AND deaf to what people have been saying? The majority of your cameras suffer from shutter lag that should have been gone a year ago. You come out with 3 different versions of the A series ( 75,85,95) within months of each other and confuse the hell out of people BUT when they TELL you what a screw up the S1S1 is, you ignore it and try to make it look like you know better by keeping it on the market 8 months after its obsolete. You REFUSE to put a decent battery warning meter on any of your cameras and your s410 and s500 and old and outdated. You name a 5 megapixel camera the S60??? oh yeah and then you piss people off by coming out almost immediatly with the S70.. Damn are you dense??? Hello???????? Oh yeah forget about 3.2 mp cameras, theres no market for them. dumb consumers fall for the megapixel race and smart photographers need more anyways and besides, more megapixels are so cheap now anyways, who would spend ANY money on a 3.2? Oh hey remember your s410? the one with the 4mp 1/1.8 inch sensor that you used from the A80? Most people agreed that size was perfect and low noise and sharp pictures.. so WHY CHANGE IT??? Feeling cheap???

Sorry for the rant but its all true and if no one bitches nothing will ever change..
peterdaniel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:51 AM   #2

peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
SNIP....Sorry for the rant but its all true and if no one bitches nothing will ever change..

You made some good points. So, have you sent this letter to Canon ? :!:

Ron
ronsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:59 AM   #3

wow...thanks for the enlightenment...:lol:
kross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:42 AM   #4

Paragraphs are your friend...

Some good points though!

K x
LittleKezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:18 AM   #5

hmm.... smoking a bit too much weed? ... where to start...

peterdaniel66 wrote:
Quote:
With the new release of the Minolta Z5, Canon is once again behind the times...
The Z5 was JUST announced... wait a few months and see if Canon announces another ultra-zoom. IF they do, it'll be better than Z5...

Anyway, the Z5 is likely still worse than the S1 IS because the S1 IS has brighter lens. The Z5 goes up to F4.5 whereas the S1 IS only goes up to F3.1 at max zoom.

The video mode on the S1 IS is also likely to be superior (better sound quality, ultrasonic motor)...

In any case, the Z5 is definitely worth considering given that it has 5 megapixels (although this may make the Z5 more noisy than the S1 IS) and has 2" LCD...

Quote:
Instead, they choose to release the redundant a510. WTF?!
Why do you say it is outdated? Clearly you are someone who has "grown up" using megapixels as a proxy for quality. I hate to point it out but megapixels is not really a big deal if you don't print large pics. The A510 is the successor to the A75 and there are quite a few people who buy the A75. It is cheaper, has enough megapixels for what you need to print, and is very good (except for the video).

Quote:
Your movie modes are hoplessly out dated,
That I agree with...

Quote:
you introduce a long zoom camera and you give it only 3.2 megapixels terrible low light focusing and no low light focus assist and then to top it off you don't even put the AIAF on it....
The S1 IS is already struggling/slow and putting AIAF will probably make it even slower. I bought the S1 IS knowing it is 3 megapixels. The higher megapixel cameras cost more and are out of my price range. Even if the S1 IS had a line with 5 megapixels, I wouldn't have bought it--and neither would many going for something at the mid-end market. For example, when I was looking for an ultra-zoom, I looked at the Panasonic FZ3 (3 megapixels) but not the FZ15 (4mp) or FZ20 (5MP) because they are outside my price range. Having said this, 2005 ultra-zooms should have 4 megapixels as their low-end models...

The lack of AF-assist lamp is definitely a major flaw. So I agree with you on that...

Quote:
You come out with 3 different versions of the A series ( 75,85,95) within months of each other and confuse the heck out of people...
lol What confusion? A75=3 megapixels; A85=4 megapixels; A95=5 megapixels.... they are almost identical in all other aspects...

Quote:
BUT when they TELL you what a screw up the S1S1 is, you ignore it and try to make it look like you know better by keeping it on the market 8 months after its obsolete.
lol... if it is obsolete why do you think people are buying it. I bought the S1 IS just a few months ago and the only other camera that is worth considering is the Panasonic FZ3. The S1 IS is arguably better than the Konica Minolta Z3, better than the Olympuses and Fujis (if you do not use a tripod ie. lack of image stabilization hurts these)... I don't have any sales figures but it wouldn't surprise me if the S1 IS is the best selling or 2nd best selling ultra-zoom on the market.

Quote:
You REFUSE to put a decent battery warning meter on any of your cameras and your s410 and s500 and old and outdated.
I agree that the battery meter is a problem but I don't think it's going to get fixed. My understanding is that only the proprietory batteris have good meters...

hmm... how is the S410 and S500 outdated?

Quote:
You name a 5 megapixel camera the S60??? oh yeah and then you oops people off by coming out almost immediatly with the S70.. Damn are you dense??? Hello???????? Oh yeah forget about 3.2 mp cameras, theres no market for them.
I'll bet that you are wrong... I'll bet that the Panasonic FZ3 (3MP) outsells the Panasonic FZ20 (5 megapixels)...

Quote:
dumb consumers fall for the megapixel race and smart photographers need more anyways and besides, more megapixels are so cheap now anyways, who would spend ANY money on a 3.2?
First of all, more megapixels costs MORE MONEY. Clearly money doesn't seem to be an issue for you but people who are budget-conscious generally go for around 3MP to 4MP. The only market where 3MP is obsolete is perhaps the ultra-compact market. Furthermore, most companies simply pack more pixels into the same size sensor, so I would bet that some of the 3MP models have lower noise--and hence better pic quality--than the 5MP+ models.

As far as SMART photographers needing more megapixels, I don't know about that. If anything, those that need more megapixels are smart image ARTISTS (those that modify images). Most photographers do very little editing and don't need much megapixels but artists/editors edit images and prefer more megapixels. In any case, those looking at 3 megapixel models are budget-conscious and aren't really "true" photographers or anything...

Quote:
Sorry for the rant but its all true and if no one bitches nothing will ever change..
Some of your complaints aren't a big deal... I think you are concerned about megapixels more than anything else...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:08 PM   #6

There are some good points but do you have to sound like a Canon-diehard who got gang up by Minolta fans? :roll:
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:44 PM   #7

Thank you Sivaram!

I think you're right. I think he has been smoking reefer.

The Canon A510 will be a great camera for the price!

Here's a thought: A trulygood photographer can take a great picture with any camera.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:33 PM   #8

I picked up my S1IS just about 1 month ago and think that it is a tremendous camera for the price ($311) Sure there were better cameras out there with more MP but nothing that could touch it (with a large optical zoom) for anywhere near the price!

Even my wife was hung up on the mp race and pushed me to get a 4-5 mp camera. I researched, read many reviews and user opinions and made an educated decision to purchase the S1IS. Even at the store the sales clerk "recommended" some 5 mp Nikon with only 4x optical zoom at twice the price! - not what I wanted. MP are over rated - the perception is that 6 mp can produce twice the picture size is not true - it is a function of area - if a true image quality is in the optics

Low light focus problems - I learned about hyperfocal settings and take GREAT pics indoors now 100% of the time

Battery meter? - I get 200 -300+ shots from my 2500ma AA batteries (which, by the way only cost about $12) Keep another set charged and who cares if/when they run out?

I print 4x6 prints 95% of the time, I should be able to print 8x10 if need be.

My next camera will be a digital SLR and will most likely stick with Canon and get the Rebel - also a great deal now for the price.
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:06 PM   #9

Another person is who is swayed by the Canon Gods.. if you think that a 3.2 can out produce a 5 or 7 mp is so much as detail, you are losing it as well.. There is no replacement for displacement! I agree for most snapshots a 3.2 will do fine and at that price, you did well. I remember when that camera came out, it was $499.00 I think. My statements stands true. Canon is never a leader in the typical consumer digicam for which the bread and butter is to be made. They mostly go on thier name. Tell me why then, do they use Sony ccd's? Their screen size is also lagging way behind others. 1.5 inches? Puhhhlease! Its not just canon that does this. I truly wonder just how dead dumb and blind these manufactures are. The same thing about cup holders in cars. How much f-ing genius does it take to design a good set of cup holders. The funny thing is that once someone DOES design a universally accepted design, why then does it seem impossible for anyone to do the same? Hello? 4mp and a 1/1.8 sensor size are perfect for each other and is a great combination. Why then don't they continue with it? simple.. The almighty buckaroo... Sad.. These things are manufactured in such mass quantity that the usual excuse of it would cost too much is pure B.S.
Speaking of not listening. Most people including myself would like to get a S70 but until they update the movie mode and get rid of that stupid and cheesy and cheap sliding cover, I'll pass. How many complaints do you think they ( Canon) has gotten about the card door for the A series? How many???? and for How long now??? Do they do ANYTHING??? Nope. As usual a big disapointment.

Heres another thing. why does Fuji, Olympus and Minolta have the screens behind a cover that protects it, offering superb clarity and Canon still uses the same old screen that is prone to damage.

People, these are old news items already.. Its like GM's continued use of pushrod engines and then they make a huge deal when they use a OHC design.. Wow man! thats like so old news already... Go get the horse ok? I am not a fan of anyone inparticular so get off your soapbox already about you thinking Im just a basher. I see lots wrong with todays cameras, like Pentax which continues to be the slowest damn camera around. Terrible battery capacity and simple features being left off of todays cameras that should be second nature

Its like a manufacture that makes a defective seat in a car. How many car seats have been made How in the world do you make a defective seat? And then CONTINUE to do so after you have been told thousands of times. Please my 5 year old listens better.
peterdaniel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:54 AM   #10

Take a look at some images made by a 3yr old Olympus C2100 & the newer, better, faster, bigger cameras. I'll bet if I printed my old C2100 images as 8x10's & put them up against many 4-7mp camera images, most of you would be unable to tell the difference (not using a loop for the purists).