Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

I dropped my A70 face first in the sand and now the lens is jammed with sand. I tried some dry compressed air and minor home repair techniques to no avail. My question posed is, should I try to take it to repair shop and let them try it or should I scrap it and get a new one? I don't want to spend $75.00 in repair when I can just buy a new one fornot a lot more on sale. I made up $75.00 by the way, I have no idea how much it would cost to be repaired. I was hoping you guyswould have some idea. Easier to sit here and type than to drive around looking for an intelligent repairman. I'm not a pro, just a poor entusiast. I've been more than happy with my A70 and I hate to see it go to waste.
bobafett4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2

I assume that it's not under warranty anymore. I would open it and clean its insidemyself if I were in your place.

Also, I don't think it will cost you a lot of money if it's just a cleaning thing. Also, some stores give you the optionto pay a small estimation fee before you decide to repair it if you want.

Hope that helps
noujwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3

After repairing it, consider buying a Canon Water Housing. I use mine not only for surfing water shots, but also when I'm on the beach. You'd be surprised how much salt is actually in the air, and I don't need to tell you about the sand.

You can pick one up for around $160.
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:36 PM   #4

many thanks for the tips guys. I shall try some home repair and if that does not work, off to the shop.
bobafett4c is offline   Reply With Quote