Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

Hi,

Could anyone with an American (US, Canada or Mexican) AND an UK Canon Powershot S1 IS owner please look at the underside/bottom of their camera and tell me what it says. If you could even scan the bottom, and erase or black out the serial number for your security, that would be great.

I have just bought my camera from a UK store (supposedly UK spec), but I believe I have been sold an American model (Manual refers to US/Canada/Mexico only) and no warranty card is present. Canon-UK do not support non-UK models which is daft, but they decide their on global warranties. It means I would have to post my camera back to America to get it fixed under warranty and then get charged TAX on its re-entry to UK. Lucky me?
Attached Images

r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:31 PM   #2

Actually, thats the canadian model.
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:55 PM   #3

I bought my S1 at Best Buys in Portland, OR & it says the same exact thing as yours.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:27 PM   #4

Any US owners with no Canada on the bottom???
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:25 AM   #5

I bought my S1 in Sweden with all warranty-papers and swedish manual.

I have "exactly" the same label. This is a general label for all the world. I.e. "CE" means Europe Community.
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:21 AM   #6

Hi, My S1 bought in Australia through official dealer and has the same label.

Lack of a warranty card is worrisome though.Was the retailer an official Canon retailer ?

Try contacting retailer and demanding one ,If not return camera for refund.

Unofficial grey imports are available online in Australia for too good to be true prices and do cause warranty hassels.

Out here in Australia proof of purchase is usually sufficeint and its not a legal requirement to send in warrenty card for registration to get warrenty so if you can confirm your dealer is a officail retailer you might still be OK.

I think what canon in the UKmay bereferring to is that some models are US or Japan market only.The S1 is not one of these models.I have seen a few models mentioned from other manufacturers that are definately Japan only and have different model numbers to what appears to be very similar cameras sold elseware.
Brendon

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:50 AM   #7

I don't know how the UK Canon system is, but try registering online. That should be the first step...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback everybody. A slight oversight on my part about the CE there "Adwulf".

I sent my seller an email explaining my concerns regarding the warranty and the cameras origin and I got a pleasant phone call today from him.

The camera is indeed a grey import from USA/Canada/Mexico territory. There was no warranty card as it is invalid here in the UK, but I was assured that the seller will honour the warranty themselves for the 1yr.

To this effect I noticed a hot pixel just below and to the left of the dead centre of every picture and I have been told to post the camera back to the seller and he will dispatch a replacement ASAP. Good service so far, so I have requested written confirmation of the warranty just to cover my back.

I have been impressed with my new S1 and the seller (who is not linked to Canon), but I did save UK£100 on high street prices and UK£50 on the next best Internet reseller. I had a Nikon for 2 years, and dropped it many times, and it never stopped working. Fingers crossed my Canon will be as good.

PS – Anyone know about Digi-scoping and the S1 for Astronomy and Wildlife pics?
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=240188
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:59 PM   #9

All i know is that I want to try it too.

Anyway, here is a cool link..

http://johnny0.smugmug.com/Other