Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:58 PM   #1

I am considering upgrading from the Canon A80. I like it a lot, it's relatively small, takes great pics, and has sparked what I believe will be a lifelong interest in photography. I especially enjoy black and white, as well as ocean pics, both underwater and surfing. Needless to say, the Canon Waterhousing was one of the main selling points.

I do have concerns though: The small LCD is simply ridiculous. The battery indicator is laughable, and the zoom (3x) is simply not enough.

My main reason for desiring to upgrade is wanting more Zoom and the ability to take better Macro pictures.

The thing is, I like the look of the Canon cameras, have a CF card reader, and would like to use CF cards on my next camera.

Thoughts and suggestions?
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:53 PM   #2

Most of the higher zoom cameras are larger, although not THAT much bigger than the A80 (compact).... battery indicator problem exists with most cameras that use non-proprietory batteries... LCD is definitely something that matters...

I don't see any point in sticking with one brand. Just look around and pick the best camera... it may turn out to be a Canon; or it may not... the camera is what matters...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:01 PM   #3

Well, the Canon S1 IS will do what you need as far as zoom and macro stuff with lots of manual options plus CF card, plus underwater housing, etc... but you'll still have the same issues with the batteries and small LCD. Some people complain about this camera, but it's got good reviews on most of the big sites. Also seems like you'll be shooting outdoors a lot where it really shines. Only thing you can do is get out there and see them with your own eyes.
S1Artiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:49 PM   #4

Start saving for a DSLR. Your current camera has a lot of capability you probably haven't yet tapped. More zoom can be fixed with the tennies on your feet. Simply move closer to the subject before you shoot.

I have a Canon Pro90 ( 10X stabilized zoom... 37-370mm) that served me nicely for three years. I wanted a better low light camera that would focus in low light. I bought a $2000 EOS 20D with an EFS 17-85IS lens. It's a great camera, and I'd never go back. HOWEVER... I'll need a couple of new lenses to get the same zoom range. The Ol' Pro90 still does a great job in some situations, though I love the extra six megapixels the 20D gives.

Having said this, I love the fast focus, no shutter lag and flixibility of my new camera. Lenses really last a lot longer than camery bodies. If you stick with Point-and Shoot cameras, the next upgrade requires you to start from scratch.

I guess you have to decide whether you want to "take pictures" or "do photography" The latter isn't the cheap way to do it.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:49 PM   #5

1 new lens for the 20D, can cost as much as the A80. Besides, how exactly to you get the 20D underwater without breaking the bank?

Personally, I would agree with S1Artiste. The S1 is great for underwater and the housing is cheap. you can also zoom 10X with it. and again its $300 usd. the price of a cheaper 20D lens..
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:19 PM   #6

S1 sounds like something to look into. . . Where do you think is the best place to purchase it? Also, how much is the water housing? 10x would be great for surfing photos.

As far as tapping into the full capabilities of Manual mode, it seems like a long and tedious journey. . .any suggestions?

:?
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:45 PM   #7

adorama.com has the camera for 350 and the water box for 170 usd, but you still got the small lcd...i use the evf, but i don't know how handy that is underwater?
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:06 PM   #8

$306 for the S1 at Beach Camera.com - don't fall for the add on packages, they aren't worth it for the extra$$. I second the recommendation - I love my S1
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:24 AM   #9

Kaiserbowl,

I think you'll have to decide what means more to you, the zoom or the size of the LCD. The S1 has a 10x optical, but you'll still be stuck with a 1.5" LCD (and you're losing a mega pixel). But some of the newer A series cameras have a 1.8 LCD and some of the SD and Elph cameras have a 2" LCD (although the Elph is more of a point-and-shoot, and in my mind way too small). I recently bought an A85 and so far I'm quite happy with it except for the red-eye reduction (it doesn't really work).

Regarding your battery warning issue, I don't think there's much you can do in that department without switching to a proprietary option. What you can do though is make sure you've got powerful, rechargable NiMHs. I bought 2300 MiA rechargable Duracells and they're great. They last for an average of 2 weeks with fairly heavy usage, and I keep a pre-charged set of 4 in the case for back-up. Go for the highest MiA rating you can find. I have friends that bought 2100s and they're not nearly as good as the 2300s.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote