Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:16 AM   #1

I'm using the Canon S1 IS, at 15" iso400 F/2.8 (or F/3.1 depending on whether I zoom in or not).
These were test shots, but they're extremely dark. Unfortunately I don't want to risk waking my subject(s) up, so I can't shed light on them.
Is there ANY way to let in enough light with an S1 IS? My subjects (hopefully) will be holding still. I may be using telephoto (F/3.1 is helpful (instead of F/5.2 for example) although F/2.8 would be nicer) to keep from being too close (cause I don't want my subjects to know they're being photographed in case they decide to wake up while the shutter is open).
I don't mind if they're somewhat noisy, but I would like to avoid too much blur from camera shake if at all possible, even though I'll most likely be shooting handheld, cause, while setting up a tripod might not be too much of a problem, if I feel I'm in danger of being discovered and I have to take it down in a hurry....

Any suggestions on how to get these still life shots effectively? Using the flash is NOT an option, as I said earlier I don't want any extra light on my subjects.

There were no subjects in these pics, as they were test shots. The pics have been resized to fit in the limitation of the uploader on here.

On the first one, I'm trying to shoot through the doorway (about where the digit from a clock is) in the middle of the pic or so (although it turned out I had the wrong angle anyway) When doing the real shot, besides being at a slightly different angle, I would have zoomed in another 2x or so so that at least the doorway (which you probably can't tell where it is) would just about fill the frame laterally.

Any suggestions on how to let in enough light without risking waking up the subjects? I may be shooting handheld, other than that shutter speed (and to some extent, noise and depth of field (but not so much that I can't recognize my subject fairly well) doesn't really matter all that much. It just seems that 15 seconds at F/2.8 and ISO 400 is not quite enough.
Attached Images

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:16 AM   #2

There was a cat sleeping on a couch on the left side of the second shot, but even after using Photoshop's levels tool (don't even THINK about noise reduction) I can't see her.

There were a few others which I'm not going to upload, cause they just didn't hardly let in ANY light, even though I could see the area where the subject would be with my eyes. It's almost as if I had the lens cap on, which of course I didn't.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:27 AM   #3

First thing is you will need to use a tripod to keep the camera still while trying to let the maximum amount of light in.

If you use a flash you will get one shot of the cat sleeping won't you?

I take pics of my dog while sleeping and the flash wakes him but I still get the shot, that is if the creeking floor doesn't first.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:32 AM   #4

That first pic only had a filing cabinet in the pic, I used Photoshop Elements to brighten it up and if it would have been the original pic it may have turned out ok.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:54 AM   #5

If I had a place to set up a small tripod, or could set it up quietly, that would be an option.

Using the flash is not an option, though, as I will be shooting people that are being still.

However, I would like to let in more light with less noise, without sacrificing too much depth of field. 15 seconds at ISO400 and F/2.8 is way too dark, as you can see. There isn't by any chance a way to hack the camera so it can do much longer shutter speeds?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:10 AM   #6

I have a pro 1 and it responds to the infra red of the remote control, shows asa bright dot. Do all digitals respond to IR, if so you may be able to use an IR light source.

Mike
HangMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:16 AM   #7

My S1 IS also responds to the IR dot.

I think I'll need a 250kW IR lamp, though.

Or, if I can't get one with that kind of juice, what could I get so that in otherwise total darkness I could get a properly exposed 1/250" shutter speed at ISO 50 and F/5.6 on subjects about 15 feet away?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:07 PM   #8

:idea:

i have an idea....

1. Fill a water balloon
2. Sneak up on the subject
3. Turn the flash on
4. Snap the picture
5. Hurl the balloon
6. Another picture
7. RUN

:evil:
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:43 AM   #9

lol

maybe if I had an EOS-1Ds Mark II and an F/0.2 lens...
then I might set it to a 5 minute (bulb via remote) shutter speed, F/0.2, and ISO 3200, compensated down -4 stops for an equivalent ISO of 25000, THEN it might start to be bright enough....
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:11 AM   #10

bring the iso down to a 100 at most, man. It's waaaay too noisy otherwise.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote