Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:15 PM   #1

This is my first digital camera, and of course I'm the kind of guy who likes to dig in and start using it before reading the entire manual. So last night I'm using this camera for the second time. I was getting frustrating because it seems like you have to press down really hard on the shutter button for it to take a picture. Well, I must of done something because now when you turn it on (depending on what shooting mode it's in) there'll be a little green box or two on the LCD screen and it'll show the shutter speed and the aperture value on the bottom. The zoom all of a sudden doesn't seem to work and none of the other buttons in it work. But now the shutter button works easily when you press it. And when I go into playback mode I can't view all the pictures, only the last one that I took, but they all download to my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I bought this camera brand new off Amazon.com, so unfortunately it's not as so easy to just take it back to the store. Thanks.

Dave
OmahaOpinions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:18 PM   #2

Also, when it's on and in auto mode (maybe some other modes too) the red-eye reduction lamp in constantly on. I can't find anything in manual to fix it, and holding down the menu button for more than 5 seconds to set to default isn't working either.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:57 PM   #3

Don't have the A85 but...

If you want to review more than one picture, use the zoom key. I don't know about the A85 but my S1 IS goes from one pic review to many pics if you zoom. So try using the zoom in and out.

If you are seeing information for the picture being taken (or picture being reviewed), you would typically switch between the different details by using the DISPLAY button (at least that's how it's on my S1 IS). So press the display button a few times and you'll see it switching between the different display modes.

As far as taking pics is concerned, you have to half-press (then it usually beeps to indicate that it has focused) and then press fully. That's probably why it seems like you have to press hard.

I don't know what the key is for the A85 but you can also try resetting the camera. This will set everythign to default (how it was when you bought it). Look in the manual to see how to reset the settings. This may solve some problems if you set them to something else or whatever...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:06 PM   #4

Ya I tried all of that, and the camera functioned as it should have before I somehow messed it all up. It's not working how it was when I first bought it. It's all acting wierd, none of the buttons seem to work. And I can't reset it to default settings either.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:25 PM   #5

Take out the batteries and memory card... then put them back in after a few minutes... see if that helps... if not, it's probably time to send it back or call Canon or something...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:13 PM   #6

Already tried those. Is there a lock function on these camera where none of the buttons would work?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:13 PM   #7

Nope, there's no lock function. The only thing that can be locked is a photo so it can't be deleted. Reset didn't work, taking the batts. out didn't work, I think it must be broken because mine works just fine. What mode are you in?

Put it in P mode, fool around with that. Like others mentioned, half-depressed will focus and full depression will take the picture. It's odd that the zoom doesn't work, probably means it's broken, which in turn is why you can't look at 9 pics on the lcd at one time.

The flash on/off/auto button should definitely work in P mode, so if that doesn't, then you know that your four direction key is probably broken as well.

What's trippy is that I can't imagine how things went wrong so quickly. You probably are gonna have to send it back to Canon.

Any other questions, let me know, but mine's been working great since day one.
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:11 PM   #8

I wouldn't be sending your camera back just yet. You're probably just frustrated and making things worse by pressing buttons before you know what they do. I recently bought an A85 myself and haven't experienced any mechanical problems. (Red-eye and dim indoor pictures is another story though.) These are my suggestions, in order:
  • Read the manual. Everyone's tempted to toss the manual aside and learn by trial and error, but trust me, it doesn't take long to reada few pages about the basic operation. [/*]
  • If following the manual instructions doesn't help, take it to a camera shop. Not a big-box store where the 16-year-old kid behind the counter thinks he knows everything... Take it to a small camera shop where the owner probably knows a lot about operating popular cameras like the A85. You'll probably get help for free in the hopes you'll give him future business. [/*]
  • If neither of those ideas work, try calling Canon. I called with a few issues I was concerned about and they were very helpful. I didn't have to wait on hold very long and the rep was very knowledgable. I think this is the number: 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).[/*]
Just be patient. And read that manual. There must be instructions in there to reset all your defaults. (I'll look in my own manual when I get home to see if I can give you a page number.) Good luck.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9

You can reset the camera's defaults! Look on page 73 of your user guide.
  1. Turn on the camera (either shooting or playback mode)[/*]
  2. Press and hold the MENU button for longer than 5 seconds[/*]
  3. Use the arrow keys to select "OK" and press the SET button.
[/*]
Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:28 AM   #10

I always wonder if the people opening messages come back to read the advice people give. I've posted a few comments here and there, offering advice or assitance, but never hear anything back.

Is it possible that people post questions in a panic and just never return to read the responses? Oh well.