Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:45 PM   #1

is G6 + 420EX (type A or B)

Does it works with E-TTL ???
andregqleao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:33 AM   #2

The G6 and the 420 EX are a great combination. I never use the bulit in flash if I can avoid it. I think it's type A, but I haven't had to set anything except to put the flash on auto. E-TTL works fine and the zoom head will zoom with the camera lens, unless you have the head pointed to the ceiling for bounce, then it defaults to the 50 mm setting. The only thing that doesn't work is the focus assist light on the flash, it's incompatible with these cameras....

regards....Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:20 AM   #3

can you take shot 1/1000 ????

I think its a type B, because only in type A the AF ssist works.

Santos wrote:
Quote:
The G6 and the 420 EX are a great combination. I never use the bulit in flash if I can avoid it. I think it's type A, but I haven't had to set anything except to put the flash on auto. E-TTL works fine and the zoom head will zoom with the camera lens, unless you have the head pointed to the ceiling for bounce, then it defaults to the 50 mm setting. The only thing that doesn't work is the focus assist light on the flash, it's incompatible with these cameras....

regards....Santos

andregqleao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:08 PM   #4

andregqleao wrote:
Quote:
can you take shot 1/1000 ????

I think its a type B, because only in type A the AF ssist works.

Santos wrote:
Quote:

regards....Santos

Hi Andre:

As far as I know, the AF assist lamp on the Canon speedlites don't work with the G6 or the Pro 1.

With either the built-in flash, or the 420 flash, the maximum flash sync speed for the G6 is 1/250 second when its set on AUTO or normal.

There is a high speed setting on the 420, and it does work with the G6 at 1/1000 sec. I had a quick look at the 420 manual, and it states that the high speed flash sync will work with type A cameras, but not with type B.

Hope this helps...

regards...Santos

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:53 PM   #5

The Canon EX units work in ETTL mode with the G series, so in that sense it is a type A camera, but it is not nearly as well a working set as the EX units and a film or digital EOS SLR.

Yes, ETTL works, but the G series dual flashes have a distinct delay, where with the SLR cameras the dual flashes almost cannot be seen with the nakes eye, so many subjects I tried with a G5 and 420EX wound up blinking during the shot. I used the "*" button alot to do the pre-flash manually.

ETTL only works in the program modes, P, A, T and the various "dummy" modes. In manual exposure modes the flash reverts to full manual. The user can utilize a vari-power mode, but still not as easy as ETTL. With my digital SLR I can choose manual mode, set my own shutter speed and f-stop, say 1/60 sec at f8, and the mounted EX flash will still work in ETTL mode, giving me a correct exposure. Turn the G series camera to M mode and you loose all ETTL functions- what a pain.

The G5 I had for a short time was horrible as far as not being able to AF indoors if I zoomed into the telephoto range. It did fine if I left it at the wide angle end of the range. The infrared beam of an EX flash would be a great AF tool IF it worked with the G series camera, but it doesn't.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

I stuck a Metz flash onto my G6 when the camera was in the M mode. I did a few manual flashes by pushing a button...then decided to adjust a slider on the flash unit before taking a picture to see if the flash would fire. But as I was adjusting the slider on the flash unit, I heard a POP .. and then the flash became toast hehe. Something blew up inside. Maybe the flash couldn't handle the NiMH batteries or something....since I always used to use Alkalines. No idea what happened.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote