Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:53 AM   #11

^ Ran across this thread from Google and I can say that this happenned to me. I was on vacation, and between dinner and a show, my LCD cracked. Like other reviews I've seen on the net, the outer plastic is fine; only the LCD is cracked. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty hard on my electronics, but my SD300 broke in the span of an hour or so. I took a picture of my dinner, walked around, took my seat for a show, and noticed the cracked display halfway through. The camera was in my pocket the entire time, and I did nothing to damage it.

I've heard estimates of $170 for repairs. I've also heard rumors that Canon will repair my camera for free if I bother/threaten them enough. If I dropped or otherwise abused my camera, I would accept blame. As it stands, I see reports of a design flaw and am rather upset right now.

Molerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:20 AM   #12

I read all the thread and it was really interesting what you experienced.

I was thinking of buying a SD300 but now i have concerns. I checked the operating temperature of it on steves review and it says 0-40 degrees C. It is surprising that the Canon A95 also has the same range. But i haven't heard any A95 users complaining about their lcd crack.:?Looks like there is some problem specific to SD300.

(ps: posted the same speech at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=15&page=1
sorry for the ones reading it twice...)
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:49 AM   #13

That's right. The number of 'different' people reporting about the catastrophic failure of the LCD on their SD300 means that the chance of the SD300 having a design flaw is likely.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:05 PM   #14

I also have had problems with the Canon SD200 LCD. I bought an SD200 for my daughter. After 5 weeks, she came home from school with a cracked LCD screen. At first, I didn't trust her that she didn't drop it or anything. But after reading the many postings here, I now believe, like many others, that this is a design flaw.

I tried taking the camera back to Best Buy, but they wouldn't stand behind it. I'll now try Canon. Likely I'll not buy from Canon or Best Buy again.

TomP
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 5:56 PM   #15

Anyway - the Canon SD300 and SD200 are not the only ultra compact cameras to choose from.

In my opinion Casio is leading now with the new Z750 and Z57.
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:07 PM   #16

Does this cracked lcd also go for the sd 200 or just the sd 300? The reasonI ask is I am thinking about purchasing a sd 200.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:58 AM   #17

This is silly. Yes LCD screen crack. So does fine china. Does that mean no one should ever buy it, or use it, or wash it? NO! Simply use a 15$ padded case. Note that some people here think that "light" caused the LCD to crack, while others admit to having in there pocket during a party after drinking? DUH! Look at other boards where people say they gave it to their children as gifts and they broke it quickly. Believe it or not, the manual says never to let children handle the camera... or the battery. Things dont just break on their own people, no magic poof! and its broken. Use your head and you'll be fine, my sd200 works just fine- still. I have it in a padded case I got at wal-mart for 9.97$. It can be done, its a great cam at a great price. So there! :|

= Broken LCD
lazerguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:32 AM   #18

lazerguided wrote:
Quote:
This is silly. Yes LCD screen crack. So does fine china. Does that mean no one should ever buy it, or use it, or wash it? NO! Simply use a 15$ padded case. Note that some people here think that "light" caused the LCD to crack, while others admit to having in there pocket during a party after drinking? DUH! Look at other boards where people say they gave it to their children as gifts and they broke it quickly. Believe it or not, the manual says never to let children handle the camera... or the battery. Things dont just break on their own people, no magic poof! and its broken. Use your head and you'll be fine, my sd200 works just fine- still. I have it in a padded case I got at wal-mart for 9.97$. It can be done, its a great cam at a great price. So there! :|

= Broken LCD
No...things do not break on their own. However, if you have followed the various threads on the SD300, you might come to realise that the reported cases on this particular model does not seem coincidental. If there is a design flaw in the camera or a bad batch of LCD panels, then it might be the reason for these reports. A significant number of people say that the LCD just broke for no apparent reason, even with delicate care for the camera. If we assume their statements to be accurate, then this would suggest a design flaw. We don't see too many reports of the same problem for other camera models, which leads one to believe that there may be a problem with the SD300 design.
Old May 4, 2005, 7:35 AM   #19

I can not speak for the SD300, as you will note, my comments are for the SD200. Even still, I stand by my statement. Things don't just break on their own. Cmon, you don't really think the boogie man came in during the night and smashed all the SD300 screens do you? Or they just go POP while in their nice little padded cases they all "seem" to be in when they broke... :? Common sense would dictate something, somehow broke them. I have traveled 3 times with this camera and its still in its case unbroken. Explain that... :O
lazerguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:42 PM   #20

lazerguided wrote:
Quote:
I can not speak for the SD300, as you will note, my comments are for the SD200. Even still, I stand by my statement. Things don't just break on their own. Cmon, you don't really think the boogie man came in during the night and smashed all the SD300 screens do you? Or they just go POP while in their nice little padded cases they all "seem" to be in when they broke... :? Common sense would dictate something, somehow broke them. I have traveled 3 times with this camera and its still in its case unbroken. Explain that... :O
Ever heard of cars and appliances etc being recalled for defective parts? And ever heard of bad batch of parts, such as switches etc?

And as you said...you cannot speak for the SD300, because you have a SD200, and the topic for this thread is about the SD300.

And while things do not really break on their own, there are causes, such as defects, weaknesses etc. So in the study of failures in parts etc, there is such a thing called infant mortality. And there is a well-known characterstic called 'bathtub curve'. I don't think anybody is saying that there is a design flaw in the SD300. Only the number of reports of people saying that their SD300 screen cracked is interesting, and some added that they didn't drop the camera or expose it to extreme conditions. It's just up to you to believe their statements or not.