Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:16 PM   #1

The post having to do with cracked LCD screen of the SD300 camera seems to be a widespread problem, not an aberration. What is up with Canon??? I too once owned the previous Elph model, the S400, and the S230 before that, andnever had any problem with either cameras. Then again, I reside in sunny CA so maybethe new SD300is only susceptible to cold weather conditions? In any case, this is very odd coming from Canon. I wonder how the SD400 and SD500 models will fare. Hmmm...
mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:39 PM   #2

It's more than just a coincidence if a number of different folks report the same thing. But I think it's important to use the camera within the recommended operating conditions...like between 0 and 40 celcius.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:33 AM   #3

I was at a camera shop today comparing various camera. One of the first things the salesperson told me about the canon was that the lcd screen did not have a protective cover over it like the pentax and casio. She said that the lcd was easily cracked. That you can crack it with your thumb.
aww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:00 PM   #4

For the record.. I have seen a pentax LCD cracked just as easily... The covers on those cameras more protect from scratches and punctures than cracking!

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:07 PM   #5

Did that lady at the shop say how much pressure was needed to crack the lcd screen with her thumb?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:50 PM   #6

Generally I have found that the cameras at my store (which I carry everything but Oly)..

You have to push really freakin' hard on those screens to have an adverse affect on them. Impact is more what will cause cracking or breaking.

David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:56 PM   #7

Hi !

I bought a Canon SD300 3 weeks ago in Montreal, Canada. I was in California last week and the LCD screen of my Fu**** SD300 broke down...after having the camera for 3 weeks only !!!! At that point in time, I tought I broke it by taking a picture of a sunset. I thought the strong light from the sun might have killed the screen. Now I now better after reading everyone's comments !!!

I can tell you that this problem is NOT A COLDrelated problem, since when my camera broke, I was in California and it was about 15 degree Celcius.

Since I bought it, I have been carring it in a padded case. The camera was not dropped or hit in any way.

My screen has an internal crack (the glass is fine) in diagonal, from right to left which is colored purpole. I saw the picture of someone else's SD300 and the problem is 100% the same. This is a design defect !!!

I will not accept a refurbished camera. If needed, I will take Canon to small claims court. I suggest you all do the same. This is an easy case to win.

Canon SD300 User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:48 AM   #8

yah...I really do believe that this purple glob screen thing on SD300 cameras is not just a coincidence. There's too many reports out there that suggests a design flaw with this camera.

Maybe Canon will have to do a recall on the cameras to give a proper and reliable fix.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:39 AM   #9

Hey,

My SD300 LCD broke while as I was in California (so its not cold related). While I was there I meet an Italian girl that had just bought a SD200. She was with me when my SD300 LCD broke down.

Back in Montreal, I emailed her to tell her that 100s of people's SD 200/300 LCDs were braking on the SD200/300 and that she could do a google search on SD200/300 broken LCDs to check it out.

Since mine broke, she was EXTRA carefull with hers.

I was SHOKED when she emailed me back saying that her SD200 LCDalso broke down, just 2 days after mine broke. She did not dropher camera or hit it in anyway.

**** THERE NEEDS TO BE A CANON RECALL ON THE SD 200 & SD 300 ****

*** DO NOT BUY THESE CANON CAMERAS UNDER ANY CIRCONSTANCE !!!! ***

Canon SD300 User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:02 PM   #10

I don't see anybody else reporting on the same problem for other kinds of digital cameras. The problem appears specific to the SD model. I don't know just how many folks out there have had this problem. If there was some way to do an online survey, then it'd be great...but may be hard to do.