Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:33 PM   #11

"When did Smokey The Bear go postal?" -

greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:34 PM   #12

Greenboy,

Thanks for your response. I'm truly sorry about that camera for you. Your experience will make me investigate more before I decide to buy a Z20. Had my heart set on it.

My recollection of some of the reviews were that the color/skew was something you could live with.I'm beginning to have some doubts about the review sites too!

Anyway, I do appreciate your honesty and know that your pics are real nice, no matter which camera you used.

Nice country where you live. I'm jealous.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:06 PM   #13

Well, I've already taken some ire from a few about forming my opinion. And I'm not saying you will find the skew or the lack of gain-up monitoring such a problem. I have to say if Panasonic comes out with further cameras in this range and above, or a firmware update that addresses the hues that I will be looking closely again. And I could have lived with it - I could have tricked the white balance in the field to slightly change my results but that would have left that instead to fix in post. Because I was finding those rotated hue ranges when color balance was correct - as evidenced in pictures where whites and greys were dead on. And using that trick would slow me down in the field. That's something I had enough of when doing video.

Get one in YOUR hands if you can and shoot a lot of what you like to shoot. Read the manual and work through the menus and controls, so that you can be sure its not user error part of the time if things are not turning out. And look at other cameras too - I came very close to getting the Canon 1S IS in spite of the fact I wanted a few more pixels so I could crop and gather more detail. Because it shot very pleasing outdoor pictures, felt great too, and had nice features like a (although too small) swiveling screen. It didn't do so well indoors sometimes, but it seemed workable.

Me, I'm waiting to see at least the Minolta Dimage Z5 - and maybe the Sony H1 (no hotshoe there : {) hit the market before I make another move. maybe Panasonic will decide its a big enough problem to address it in firmware. I had a feeling when I looked at that Imatest data that it would be troublesome for ME, but I had to find out.

Well, enough rambling - time for more pictures! This one's after I had hiked down into the arroyo you see in an earlier pic leading toward the head of Palouse Falls. The bushes and grasses and flowers down there were often shoulder high and above, and rustled their aromas about. I'm kind of stuck by larger features usually, but I wised up and used that imposing building block of the gods in the background to give foundation to the delicate strands here:

Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:31 PM   #14

This is where the river takes an abrupt 20 foot-or-so drop into a right angle, and feeds a deep pooled channel for maybe half a mile that right angles into the Falls. There's that block from another angle:

Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:22 PM   #15

More nice pics Greenboy.

I understand what you are saying; I'll just be more diligent. I too have been waiting for the K-M Z5 and reviews for it.

Thanks very much.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:06 AM   #16

Down in the canyon at the wide right-angle drop the river takes into its final deep channel that leads to the Falls, my lady friend examines the flora:

Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:41 AM   #17

The end of the channel, the lip of the falls. You can make out the "claws" of the next photo down there -

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:59 AM   #18

just wanted to say you have some beautiful senic shots there, Im jealous:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:47 AM   #19

I've placed some new shots in my Panasonic FZ20 area - you might want a look-see of Glacier National Park at the end of winter: == Zooooom ==

Here we'd finally wound down to the "claws". There's an Indian legend about them which also concerns another geological feature that can be seen about three or four miles down-river from the falls. Go to Palouse Falls and read about it on a display at the parking area. Make sure your vehicle has shocks ; } ... Anyway, those rock fingers are very narrow at top and lean over what can be loosely described as a "trail" on the other side...

Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:39 AM   #20

More of the Palouse Falls area: those rock fingers shown above you can also make out here from quite a distance away. A "trail" takes off from there to where I framed this picture; it works its way around the mandelbrot-like pool which is a few hundred feet below. Sometimes the going is precarious and there looks to be some good places for rattlers to nest just a few feet away. I've practically stepped on rattlers in the region when "taking a shortcut" but I didn't actually see any around Palouse Falls.